EVIL LOUTION? Why do you still resist? Science doesn't work?

by Terry 95 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

Confusedjw

I really want to know how they got that tiger and girl to switch places in mid air!

Well, until you find out, let's say that god did it. Those guys must have made a deal w him, or something.

S

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Interesting subject. I have had some discussions about this very subject with my nephew and my conclusions are, I do not believe everything that science says because it is science. Science is based on observation, experimentation and research. It is based on theories started by scientific hypothesis. In the course of time some of these theories or hypothesis may prove to be true or false. Like evolution, it is not written in stone but if over time some of the theories are proved to be wrong, the scientists correct their thinking. This is why creationist are so quick to jump on and say science is all wrong because they have been proven wrong but at least science is open to correction unlike creationists that is followed unquestionably by blind faith.

Will

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

THe problem i have with evolution is it is a scientific theory. Which is based on observation. Humans are terribly limited by what they can observe espeacially when it is something that happend millions of years ago. Ceationism is an argument of cause. Evolution does not address the cause. A created thing has no mechanism to keep it from evolving any more than a evolved creature.

In all reality evolution is only useful for musems to classify bones. And genetic algorythems are created by scientist and engineers so they dont count as a tool derived from the evolution theory. I am not trying to sound like a luddite, but people over rate evolution. If evolution is a blind process and creation is a blind process (both use trail and error) you can't tell them apart. A

lso spontaniously forming animals from dirt is an inefficient process and seems to only be done after humans were created (either adam and eve were mortal, or because human have short attention spans). If you are God and have all the in the world it is simpler to cull animals with undisirable traits. Considering the life and death is at your command natural selection is a good away as any to do it. Because scientist can't observe the reason things happen then this debate will never be solved unless a major break through in physics occurs.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Terry said,

Why would anyone arbitrarily stifle their own education? To avoid painful discovery?

Actually, I think that this is the primary reason people do so. Learning things that challeng us usually involves throwing away a previously cherished worldview, which can be extremely painful.

XQs said,

THe problem i have with evolution is it is a scientific theory. Which is based on observation. Humans are terribly limited by what they can observe espeacially when it is something that happend millions of years ago.

This is a cop-out. Of course scientific theory is based on observation. Isn't this better than religious doctrine, which is based on arbitrary pronouncement?

SNG

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

This is a cop-out. Of course scientific theory is based on observation. Isn't this better than religious doctrine, which is based on arbitrary pronouncement?

I did not say it is better. I says it has a problem.

Lets say you have two bottles of water. Both are identicle in every way. You take one out side in the cold where it is constantly about 0* C. You put the other in a refrigerator that is at 0*C. You take them both to a scientist and ask him to figure which one froze from natutral causes and which one was forzen using a refrigerator. I am not saying the scientist could not figure it out I am saying that it would be difficult. And in the case of evolution vs creation even more difficult.

• Gordy
    Gordy

This has always puzzled me.

At what point in evolution was it decided that two sexes (male/female) were needed for reproduction.

What outside force made them decide that two sexes were needed?

Which creatures were the first to reproduce this way. How did the others find out about it?

How did one creature evolve into having female sex organs and another into having male sex organs.

How did they know how to have sex??

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

There are more asexual speices than sexual ones.

Sexual reproduction speeds up evolution because you make more mistakes combining genetic material. Bacteria which is in general asexual repruduces at such a fast rate it can out fox more complexe asexual organisms. So the more complexe you are the more likely you would have to be sexual.

As for the genitals I think the penis is like one of the oldest organs on the planet. I have no idea how the sex drive was created. Because first you have to recognize your species. Then figure out how to have sex with it. It is one of those things that can't be explained well.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Syn, thanks but I've read Dawkins and find his hypothesis unsatisfactory. Certainly has taken it further than most sophomore biology discussions, but still wanting. Most of Dawkins conclusions, not all, are based on his extrapolations from computer anologies, growths of fractals, etc. Some pretty interesting stuff, but for me it would be like a JW trying to understand the trinity. Those that believe in it are incapable of explaining it so that the "unbeliever" understands..I know, poor analogy, but my adherence to certain principles of natural selection is strained by Dawkins' "creativity".

carmel

• El blanko
    El blanko
    Magic evaporates in the laboratory.

gentlyferal:

Thanks for the comment and of course you are right 'most of the time'. By it's nature, magic does not lend itself to the skeptic with ease.

The forefathers of contemporary science were occult practitioners, that is why I refered to this area of knowledge as a science. Perhaps it was a poor choice of word.

Anyway...

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

Magic evaporates in the laboratory.

Not really the magic that does not evaporate they call a discovery.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit