Adam's Rib

by BrendaCloutier 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• little witch
    little witch

Thanks for that info Pete. I know that in many cultures before and after the ot account, that women were of higher standing religiously speaking. Do you know where the ot writers got the idea from to turn it around? Or was it something they developed on their own?

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

HI PETE.

SO NOW YOU ARE TELLING ME THE SNAKE LOST ITS WINGS.

AND THE REST OF WHAT YOU SAID??

IT STILL DOESN'T MAKE A DIME WORTHS OF SENSE.

ALL MYSTICAL JABBER FROM TRIBAL RIGHTS OF LONG AGO.

Outoftheorg

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

LW...it seems to be widely accepted that a broad shift in mode of thinking happened starting around 5 thousand years ago away from goddess and farm centered worship to a male god of war and domination. It seems to have been started by northeastern Europe nomadic clans that took the middle east and India unprepared. It spead over the next 1000 years to pretty much squeeze the goddess into a role as lover of the real power and war as the expression of divine. I'm trying to recall the details but there not there.

• little witch
    little witch

It may make sense historically speaking. I think the reason we as humanity get smarter with each generation is because we learn from the previous generations. The building block thing... It is on that level that I am interested.

As far as I know (not much perhaps), the Jews were the first to worship one god (?) So I am wondering if that is where the goddess symbols were hijacked to become

#1 Male (patriarchy)

#2 Evil

#3 changed

Because, I know that the Northern European peoples were amoungst the last to convert to the idea that goddesses were "bad" and that they were amoungst the last to convert to the patriarchial ways of thought. (Asia excepted).

Sorry, I am afraid I have gone off in another direction entirely. My apologies to BC for hijacking her thread.

• little witch
    little witch

Sorry Pete, we cross-posted...

Are you sure about what you just said? Perhaps my thinking is backwards.

Old stuff it is. lol.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I should have just said eastern europe, north of Palestine.

Here's a map of these indo/european conquests and direction in which these patriarchal ideas spread.

Indo-Europeans

• Indo-Europeans (Aryan language) were nomadic tribes living on the steppes of Asia
    • Warfare using horses
    • Swept into Old Europe, Middle East, India
    • ?Ruled by powerful priests and warriors, they brought with them their male gods of war and mountains.?

Indo-European Conquests

• Indo-Europeans gradually imposed their ideologies and ways of life on the lands and peoples they conquered

Indo-European conquerers were called:

• Aryans in India,
    • Hittites and Mittani in the Fertile Crescent, Luians in Anatolia,
    • Kurgans (Battle-Axe People) in eastern Europe
    • Achaeans and later Dorians in Greece

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Another thing that sounds crazy is that the talking snake was taken over by SATAN and he talked through the snake.

There's nothing in the bible to indicate that the snake was Satan. According to Genesis, it was just a talking snake (with legs)

• Robdar
    Robdar

Out of the Org, I liked your joke, it reminded me of one that I have told before but would like to repeat:

One day Adam came to the Lord and inquired: "God, why did you make Woman so beautiful?"

God smiled and replied: "So that you would like her."

Then Adam said: "Okay, well, why did you make woman smell so good?"

The Lord, still smiling, answered: "So that you would like her."

Adam then asked: "But tell me Lord, why did you make woman so damn stupid?"

And God grinned and said: "So that she would like you."

Robyn

• Sirona
    Sirona

What did adam say when he saw eve?

Woah Man!!!

Pete: some good points...
    Sirona

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

HI DEREK

YEAH I KNOW THE BIBLE DOES NOT SAY THAT. BUT THE WBTS PREACHED THAT AS A REASON THE SNAKE COULD SPEAK.

AS YOU KNOW IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE IN THE BIBLE FOR THEM TO PROCLAIM "HERE IS THE ANSWER"

Outoftheorg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit