Adam's Rib

by BrendaCloutier 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Ok, this is a brain fart I had last night as I was falling asleep.

Growing up JW I somehow developed the belief that women were not made in the image of Jehovah, as men were, hence we were inferior to men, and therefore the requirement to be subservient. It's been so long that I don't know if this was the teaching or my assumption.

Counterpoint:

God created Adam in his image.

God then took one of Adam's ribs and created Eve (sounds more akin to cloning to me, after all it's only one silly chromosome that separates the sexes).

Eve was created from Adam who was made in God's image.

Hence Eve is made in God's image.

Personally, I think when God made Adam, he said "I can do better than that!"

-Brenda

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Gen 1:27 God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
    Sounds to me like both men and women were created in God's image. He created "man" in His image, meaning humanity, mankind, not specifically males. This is demonstrated by the fact that He created "man" as "male and female."

• kls
    kls

Personally, I think when God made Adam, he said "I can do better than that

• little witch
    little witch

Neon is correct. Also, the Hebrew word "Adam" means Mankind (the male and female).

It boggles my mind that the old "adam and eve" story is still being taught in some churches. Nevermind that most every bible translation has a footnote explaining the above, they go right on making men dominate and godly and women subservient and needy. Sigh....

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The creation account in ch. 1 is from a different source (P) than the Yahwist account in ch. 2-3.

The phrasing in Genesis 2:28 moreover does not imply any inherent inferiority involved in Eve's creation:

http://www.godswordtowomen.org/help.htm

It is later in ch. 3 that women's subordination to man occurs as one of the curses Yahweh declares on man, women, and serpent.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome
    Nevermind that most every bible translation has a footnote explaining the above, they go right on making men dominate and godly and women subservient and needy

it does make life more easier though.

• little witch
    little witch

PD lololol I mean, ahem...thats not funny!

• little witch
    little witch

Leolaia,

Alot of fundy christians ASSume it is there (in the rib story). They insinuate that the male was created directly by god, and that he was first. We poor women were an afterthought and were made from the man. The story just gets worse as it goes along doesnt it?

• kls
    kls

Pleasuredome, you male !,,,,,,,LOL

• kls
    kls

Yes Littlewitch it does keep getting worse , soooo let's stop this before men find out what we are really about,,,,,,,,,,,. And it ain't pretty.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit