Adam's Rib

by BrendaCloutier 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

According to the Zend-Avesta, the ancient Persian scriptures which paralleles the Bible Genesis story on many points such as the snake temptation, 6 days of creating followed by rest holy fruit,etc, the God AhuraMazda creats the first pair joined at the back. He then separates them and commands them to be pure in thoughts,speech and actions.

The Bible appears to retain this early tradition at Gen 5:2 when is says "male and female he created them, and blessed them, and named THEM ADAM. The rib element likewise seems to be a remnant of this tradition. Jewish Targum and Talmud teach that Adam was created man and woman at the same time,having two faces turned in two opposite directions, and that the Creator separated the feminine half from him, in order to make her a distinct person. The Persian influence is seen throughout the OT.

• little witch
    little witch

That is most interesting. Man, those stories go back many many years before the ot writings dont they?

Of course you cannot convince a fundy of that either

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

THIS IS AN OLD JOKE AND I HAVE POSTED HERE BEFORE. HOWEVER IT DOES HAVE A RING OF THE TRUTH. OR IS THAT TROOF?

GOD TOLD ADAM THAT HE WAS GOING TO GIVE HIM A MATE. SHE WOULD LOVE AND CARE FOR HIM IN EVERY WAY. SHE WOULD GIVE HIM CHILDREN AND SHE WOULD ADORE AND LOOK UP TO ADAM, ALWAYS LOOKING FOR WAYS TO PLEASE AND COMFORT HIM. NEVER TO ARGUE OR CAUSE ADAM SADNESS OR FRUSTRATION.

AFTER ALL THIS GOD TOLD HIM THIS WAS NOT A FREE OFFER BUT MAY COST HIM AN ARM AND A LEG.

ADAM THOUGHT FOR A MONENT AND THEN ASKED " WHAT CAN I GET FOR A RIB?"

THIS ACCOUNTS FOR WHAT WE GET TODAY.

I'M OUTA HERE IN A HURRY Outoftheorg

• little witch
    little witch

LW aims her bow at Outoftheorg just as he turns to run.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Wow, thank you for that new info. I never realized that it said that in Genesis, and I've read that chapter more times than I can count. Does anyone still have a NWT? What does it say in that, just out of curiosity?

Coincidentally, we are having ribs for dinner tonight, lol.

• little witch
    little witch

Cicatrix, would those be male or female ribs????? LOL

Naw, I dont have a NWT, but it is online now at the jw official site.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

This whole adam and eve thing and the talking snake and the eating of a forbiden fruit has always seemed crazy to me.

On top of that, if God is all knowing and even knows the future, then this TEST? that adam and eve failed, was no test at all. Because God knew before hand the course of action adam and eve would take. This was mentioned on this forum before.

Another thing that sounds crazy is that the talking snake was taken over by SATAN and he talked through the snake.

The snake would not have had the power to stop satan.

However the SNAKE is punished. He had his legs taken away and has to crawl on his belly.

Nothing here makes any sense.

Outoftheorg

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Oh Man, I thought this was going to be a discussion about an episode of M*A*S*H.

(The one where they order ribs from that place in Chicago....Adam's Ribs).

Ok....going back into my little corner now......

• little witch
    little witch

Giggling at El Kabong...

We all went to a new rib joint last Friday. It is called, "Big Souls BBQ". Good eatin' I will tell you!

Outoftheorg,

Yeah, I hear ya. It makes no sense at all when taken literally. It really is a shame that non-sense such as this is still taught and believed in many of todays churches. I had to educate my little girl just recently about this subject after her church tried to teach her this stuff....

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

the SNAKE is punished. He had his legs taken away and has to crawl on his belly.

The tree and snakes elements are from goddess worship. The later male Yahwehist priests respun the story distorting the symbolism. The woman instead of being honored as mother of all winds up being the cause of death, the tree of wisdom becomes the temptation to question divine authority (ergo the priests). The snake probably originally had wings. The winged serpent, aka seraphim, was a symbol of the healing aspect of the goddess. Later of course the god of healing became a male deity as the goddess became secondary in many cultures.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit