"Un-baptism" questions please

by alamb 22 Replies latest jw friends

• alamb
    alamb

I, too, have gone back and forth on this. I want her to learn to think for herself though, before turning her brain in to the 'organization.' I want to know she is making an informed decision, be it good or bad, not a blind commitment like I did. I wish I had had to explain some things before I committed at her same age, 16. I would not be in this boat now, nor would she.

I know she has no knowlege of previous policies of the WT and is doing this out of peer pressure and pressure from her elder-wannabe father.

I have the WT library dating back to the 1800's in the basement which I have read (and got in trouble for as a pioneer.) I think she needs some access to it. She may be asked the same questions later in life at the door or running into one of "us". I don't want her to ever say, "Why didn't you tell me? or try to show me?" Only then will I support her decision, because it is her decision.

• badboy
    badboy

wHAT LANUAGUE DID nOAH SPEAK?

Why doesn't WT report child molesters to the police?

As 1914 is based on the Great Pyramid,and Rutherford said that THe Great pyramid was the DEVILS WORK,does that mean that the 1914 date is of the Devil?

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I would also challange him to supply you with ONE source other than the WT that claims 607bce to be the destruction date of Jerusalem.

Check out www.607v587.com for some good thoughts as how to present this.

• badboy
    badboy

What Canine creature went into Noah's Ark?

• Farkel
    Farkel

alamb,

You might want to remind your daughter that Jesus Christ himself waited until he was 30 years old to be baptized. He was supposedly not only a perfect man with no weaknesses and defects, but the only begotten some of God Himself.

Since your daughter isn't even 18 years old yet, how does she feel that she has enough maturity and knowledge to make the most important decision in her life at a far younger age than Jesus did.

I would suspect that she (like myself and most of us) wants to be baptized because she's been taught she won't make it through Armageddon otherwise. If that is the case, you could point out that EVERY prediction made by the WTS for Armageddon has been wrong, and since the latest "This Generation(tm)" change even the WTS has to admit Armageddon could be a long, long way off.

Therefore, waiting a few years before getting baptized shouldn't be an issue. If she is receiving pressure to do it, then those people putting on the pressure should be ashamed of themselves. Baptism is a personal decision. Jehovah knows if one is ready to dedicate her/his life symbolized by baptism. Humans don't know this.

Once done, one can't "undo" baptism without suffering greatly for it at the iron fist of the Watchtower Organization. Once done, your daughter will be obligated to accept EVERY new rule and doctrine the WTS makes in the future, even rules and doctrines that are totally different from rules and doctrines today. Rather than putting her life in God's hands, she will be putting her entire life and future in the hands of men she doesn't even know and will likely never know.

Farkel

• Terry
    Terry

1.What is the test of a true prophet of god?

2.When the faithful and discreet slave (governing body) predicted 1844,1925,1975, Millions NOW living will never die---were their writings and teachings true and correct? How does the test of a prophet apply?

3.When the Watchtower, Awake!, Golden Age magazines printed article after article stating that germs do not cause disease, vaccinations do not work, aluminum cookware can kill you, olive oil cures appendicitis, there is no such thing as rabies, the shape of your head determines your intelligence, that black people can turn white by praying----were they preaching GOOD NEWS that was true? Was the error of those articles dangerous?

4.The Governing Body says its mistakes and errors were only human and done with righteous zeal and good intentions. How many times can a person make the very same "mistake" and still be telling the truth?

5.Jehovah's Witnesses believe the Supreme Being, Creator of the Heavens and the Earth, only deals with a few guys in Brooklyn New York and nobody else. What if they are wrong? Would that explain their constant errors, their changes, their flip-flopping doctrines? Is there a better explanation?

That should do the trick!

Terry

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar
    She may be asked the same questions later in life at the door or running into one of "us". I don't want her to ever say, "Why didn't you tell me? or try to show me?" Only then will I support her decision, because it is her decision.

That first sentence may actually work. And I feel your struggle with "why didn't you tell me?" But then if you do - she may shun you as an apostate. I definitely would not allow it for a minor child. I was baptized at 13 and it was a horrible mistake. I had no way of knowing at that young age what all the ramifications of the decision really were. And I definitely did not make the decision will all the information. If someone had bothered to tell me about ALL the failed prophesies I might have thought twice. But in all reality - the decision wasn't about a deep desire to serve God through Jesus Christ as a JW. It was about wanting acceptance, love and approval - something I wasn't getting at home for sure.

Good luck to you and thank you for trying to save your child!!!

Oh yeah....What language did NOAH speak????? Huh??

• alamb
    alamb

Thank you for all the questions and feedback. I found out her "boy-friend" is also getting baptized...hmmm.

This is so difficult. How can you give your child permission to never speak to you again...let alone carry a blood card! I also have to think of my JW vs. non-JW children. This is multi-generational. I have 3 JW/ 2 non-JW and their children may never meet. To fathom this 100 years from now is too much for me.

Thanks again and keep the questions coming. Maybe just one of these questions will stick.

• badboy
    badboy

Can you explain the Bible's listing of nations?

Could the `races' have evolved the skin colours in just 4,000 years?

• badboy
    badboy

sHOULD A JW CONSULT A DOCTOR because of the profession pagan origins?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit