"Un-baptism" questions please

by alamb 22 Replies latest jw friends

• alamb
    alamb

My eldest child has asked to be baptized next month as a JW. The court has ordered I have to give written permission if the child is under 18.

I am going to consent, but only if she studies with ME and can answer MY baptism questions. I am also thinking of writing up an agreement for the elders to sign regarding her shunning me and her younger siblings, etc. backed up by a possiblity of litigious recourse.

(What is an NGO? What is required to become one? What year did Jerusalem fall? Please give 3 sources for your answer. What year do WT publications claim it fell? Please give 3 sources for your answer.)

Please help with out and give me your version of an un-baptism question!

• AlanB
    AlanB
    The court has ordered I have to give written permission if the child is under 18.

This is interesting, does this apply under English law? my children are younger teenagers and it would be useful to prevent them from getting BT until 18.

A

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Who was the "faithful and discreet slave" immediately before Charles T. Russell?

Why does the Watchtower baptize in its own name instead of "in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit"?

Will the men of Sodom be resurrected, and why? (answers from both versions of the Live Forever book)

• alamb
    alamb

No English law, sorry. I'm from the US with lineage from Scotland. I can send you the court order though. I got it by saying that getting baptized a JW was as big a decision as marriage, voting, etc. The court agreed.

Funky,

Thanks! Those made me grin. I'll start my list now. This is going to be fun. Keep them coming...please!!!

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

how many bible canons do exist? who decided over the inclusion and exclusion of every single book?

do we have to follow every commandment that jesus gave us? did you already "sell everything you own, give it to the poor and follow" jesus? if this commandment is not to be taken that seriously, does this also apply to the preaching-work?

did you ever notice, that if adam and eve wouldn't have sinned, you would have never been born? thus, are you glad that adam and eve sinned? are you thankful for that?

which day/hour was jesus executed? compare the synoptic accounts with the john gospel.

• kls
    kls

Are you sure that you want to sign that permission? Why not wait and let him decide when he becomes an adult. My thoughts are if you sign for him and let's say in a few years ( contracts are made to be broken ) he decides he no longer believes in the org and want's out you have given the jws to give him a life of hell as you know. When he becomes an adult say 18 and decides to smoke just for instance and gets caught by another jw , he will have to face the dreaded Elders. I say let him wait till he is of age and can decide for himself as an adult then if something were to change in him you cannot be to blame.

• Farkel
    Farkel

1. Using only the Bible, show how early Christians were ruled by a "governing body."

2. When Jesus' disciples asked for a "sign" of his coming, Jesus was quite specific about what that "sign" was to be. In Matthew 24:30, he states, "And then the sign of the Son of man will appear..." What did he specifically say that "sign" would be?

3. What was the disgusting teaching that Hymenaeus and Philetus taught that is mentioned in 2 Timothy 2:16-18? Can you name a religion who teaches that very same doctrine started occurring in 1918? If the first resurrection occurred in 1918, then the former teaching of it occurring in 1878 was apostasy. If the first resurrection occurred in 1878, then the current 1918 teaching is an apostasy. If the resurrection has not yet occurred then both of those dates are apostasy.

4. If the twelve tribes of 12,000 people each in Revelation 7 are not literal tribes of literal people, how can the sum of these non-literal tribes represent 144,000 literal people?

5. How can any symbol of something be more valuable than that which it represents? The flag is a symbol of a government. Which is more important: the flag or the government it represents? The WTS teaches that blood is the symbol of life. How then, can the blood itself be more important than the life it can save? Does God consider a fluid to be worth more than a living, breathing child of his?

6. The WTS teaches that hundreds of millions of babies will be slaughtered by God's own hand at Armageddon because their parents didn't become JWs. They argue that because their parents are "wicked" (not JWs), the children would grow up being "wicked" (not becoming JWs) also. That being the case, the children had no chance from the beginning. God KNEW IN ADVANCE that the children would grow up to be wicked because of an accident of their birth to "wicked" parents. In effect, God had doomed them from the beginning of their birth and he knew it. The children don't have any chance to try to redeem themselves when they got older. What kind of God would do such a thing?

7. Please show conclusive proof from the Bible that people deserve to be shunned by relatives and then murdered by God and to be dead for all of eternity for smoking a cigarette. By celebrating the date of one's birth. By celebrating the resurrection of Jesus.

8. Name one example in the Bible where God communicated his Will to his followers through an "organization" rather than individual people. If God NEVER worked that way in the Bible, why should we think he would work that way now? What evidence do we have from God himself that he would now work that way?

9. Did the Devil REALLY take Jesus to the top of a mountain and show him ALL the kingdoms on earth? Did the Devil show him China? America? Europe? How could Jesus possibly see all the kingdoms on earth from a single place on a round planet? It is impossible. So, if that story is not true, why shouldn't we be skeptical about other stories found in the Bible?

10. According to the WTS, Jesus has been "reigning" as King in Heaven for 90 years now. What has he done that will give us even a shred of proof that he's been "reigning" for almost a hundred years? Matthew 24 tells us that the "sign" of his return as King would be that every eye would see him in the heavens. He didn't say he would be invisible, did he? If we are to consider that verse to be figurative, then why would Jesus mention ACTUAL wars, ACTUAL earthquakes, ACTUAL famines as part of his sign, and then give us a FIGURATIVE answer to what that sign really was?

That's enough for now. BTW, I'm fine, alamb. Don't worry about it.

Farkel

• alamb
    alamb

Farkel....I'll phone you. Sorry about this weekend. I'm glad you're OK.

These are wonderful! I wonder if I have to keep it to 80...or isn't it 120 by now? I'll go get my OM book.

Any ideas for my form for the elders? They are denying shunning exists so I can hold them to it.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I'd be a bit careful with that, mainly because if you give a really hard time your kid might shun you more. Anything my mom told me was wrong I usually did, though I do find it a strange idea to have a child rebel by BECOMING a JW. It just reminds me of Alex Keaton in Family Ties.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Taking the argument that the Bibles restriction on eating blood really does apply to medical transfusions, can you explain which parts of blood are allowable to accept? Why is this? If the ' soul of the flesh is in the blood' , which fraction contains the soul or life force?, Where does the Bible support this? ... If there are medical dangers in accepting blood, why are there no warnings against accepting parts of blood?

Incidentally, if the difference between transplants of body parts and cannibalism is clearly seen, why is the difference between eating blood and transplants transfusions not seen equally as clearly?

Despite the above, I do share some of the reservations of the other posters. How old is the youth? Should he/she commit to anything yet? Do not expect the elders to sign any kind of agreement. Any way they would say that any decision to 'shun' another is technically a personal choice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit