Organ transplants

by XQsThaiPoes 20 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Valis
    Valis

um since the early 90's the success of transplants in the US has been hovering at 80%. And yes as time passes, this number drops off a bit, but still better than being dead. The more important thing to be looking at, is the risk of post operative infection, invasive fungal infections which kill more people after surgery than transplants do. As well, there have been major developments in even transplanting infected organs into those already infected w/the same condition. SO, even dieased organs are useful. You first post makes the ludicrous implication that all organs are infected w/some disease. That could not be farther from the truth. You body's rejection is not due to the organ being infected, but simply not always being a perfect match. Which can be worked around with medications and drugs to shut off the body's assault on the new tissue If you had done any real reading you would know that the transplant community has taken even more steps after the recent rabies incident involving transplanted tissue , which was not generally tested for on donated organs. Also, many heart transplants are now proceeding without the need for extraneous amounts of blood transfusion so these types of operations get safer all the time. You are more likely to go in for an operation and come out missing the wrong appendage than contract an infectious disease from a transplant.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Bryan
    Bryan

xQ,

I have to stongly disagree with you. I gave my left kidney to a young man a year ago. And we are both doing great!

http://bryanleemc.com/bryanandoleg.html

Bryan

• Valis
    Valis

hey Bryan...always nice to see you around...and ya XQs maybe read that blood pamphlet from the WTBTS, but I'm betting that's about it! *LOL*

• Bryan
    Bryan

Also, follow the link http://www.kidney.org/general/messageboards.cfm to the National Kidney Foundation message board. They are some really great personal stories.

Bryan

• Bryan
    Bryan

Also, you should go to http://www.kidney.org/general/messageboards.cfm to the National Kidney Foundation message board. There are some really great stories there.

Bryan

• Bryan
    Bryan

Hey Valis,

How's the jetlag. Not too bad coming this way, huh?

Bryan

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

To Bryan that is wonderful. I am happy you two are doing fine. Kidney transplants have high sucess rates.

• onacruse
    onacruse

For me: when my physical organism gives out, then it's time for me to go.

I'll take my chances for whatever (if anything) happens after that.

imo, concerns about prolongation of life in these bags of salt and water are inconsequential, except insofar as we give them value because of our own fear of possibly-there-is-no-life-after-death...

a self-imposed fear, to which Christianity (and most other religions) supposedly offer the answer.

Our actions, and non-actions, betray the degree to which we really believe those answers.

Craig

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

The more important thing to be looking at, is the risk of post operative infection, invasive fungal infections which kill more people after surgery than transplants do.

Um yeah thats what I said can't really fight disease with out an immune system.

You first post makes the ludicrous implication that all organs are infected w/some disease.

No I am making the assumption that you may wana have good immune system and not a chemically supressed one. Not going outside, eating lettuce, shushi, or having the liberty of acidentaly cutting your self is not fun.

You body's rejection is not due to the organ being infected, but simply not always being a perfect match.

Uh yeah. No duh. Thats what I said. It sucks if you have a "good" immune system that does its job and is very adept at recognizing foreign tissue. And God forbid you have had lots of blood transfusions that trains your immune system to look for other human tissue of that type and kill it (not blood type btw).

Which can be worked around with medications and drugs to shut off the body's assault on the new tissue

This is a god aweful bad thing in real life. And I really did not care about getting infections from organs you will most likely get infections from your enviroment. If running around with a suppressed immune system is so great why is HIV such a headliner? When you reject an organ you destroy it. Because there is no dip stick, gauge or idiot light to check when your body decides to lauch a sneak attack you can just break your brand new heart or lung or whatever. So a organ that was perfectly good is for the last six months since your transplant just got fried. So what do you do? YOu get another one, but guess what your body knows that for some reason various strains of human keep poping up on the radar. So the next transplant is even less likely to work.

• AlanF
    AlanF

I know a JW who had kidney transplant a dozen years ago. He's doing fine, and his wife and kids are quite happy to have him around rather than a mere memory of him.

Any kind of difficult technology goes through a period of experimentation and gaining experience before it becomes fairly reliable. Sometimes people are willing to take risks and submit to experiments, perhaps for their own good and often for the long range good of others. The history of flight is a good example, where thousands of people got killed in the early days. Medicine is probably the most difficult technology of all, so it's no wonder that decades often go by before a medical technology becomes reliable. Today it's not that big a deal getting heart bypass operations, joint replacements, eye lens replacements, and even certain transplants like kidneys. The alternative -- to sit back and do nothing -- is worse than useless. Everyone has the right not to participate in risky experiments, but in view of history, to imply that people who do are stupid is worse than stupid -- it's a formula to remain in the dark ages.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit