Organ transplants

by XQsThaiPoes 20 Replies latest watchtower medical

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

I was reading about organ transplants. It they seem to be much like the space shuttle a working prototype. From what I have read you basically trade diseases. You never stop suffering. For the money involve it seems like a con game. Imagine if you had a heart problem and the DR said I can fix your heart and give you 5 more years, but you'll have to win the lottery, and I'll have to cut you open, break your ribs, and give you full blown AIDS.

I really can't see the point. You life for the most part will get worse, and your anti rejection drug will kill you. And the amount of time the DRs give is relatively short. I am not trying to be callus. What am I missing?

I could go for some high tech genetic engineered transplant. I could go for Having 5 or 10 clone brothers that we could share organs. I can't see trading one disease for a grab bag of pain suffering and death. Can anyone set me straight?

• gumby
    gumby
    Can anyone set me straight?

Gumby

• confusedjw
    confusedjw
    I really can't see the point. You life for the most part will get worse, and your anti rejection drug will kill you. And the amount of time the DRs give is relatively short. I am not trying to be callus. What am I missing?

Missing? What are you reading? Yes, *some* transplants are vastly more difficult to deal with then others, but not as hard as death. Honestly - reread what you wrote and see if it doesn't reek of ignorance. There are a plethora of persons leading wonderful lives due to organ transplants.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

Yes, *some* transplants are vastly more difficult to deal with then others, but not as hard as death.

Um death is really easy. Heck you don't even have to try to die. Infact death is free.

I am not talking thing like bone marrow or skin graphs not even things we have easy machines or medicine for like kidneys/ Pancreas . I mean things like lungs, liver, heart and heart/lung.

• Seven
    Seven

XQ's, If you're interested following the links to more up to date info.

cheers,

Lisa Rossi <mailto:[email protected]>

Patients and medical professionals may call 1-800-533-UPMC (8762) for more information.

Telephone:

412-647-3555

Fax:

412-624-3184

UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH MEDICAL CENTER
    BACKGROUND INFORMATION

Transplant Milestones at the University of Pittsburgh 1981-2001

The University of Pittsburgh's transplant programs are internationally renowned for their far-reaching influence on the entire field of transplantation. The clinical and research activities of 1981, the year that transplant pioneer Thomas E. Starzl, M.D., Ph.D. <../../Bios/BioStarzl.htm> , performed Pittsburgh's first liver transplants, created the foundation for what would become the largest liver transplant program in the world and elevated already existing heart and kidney transplant programs to national and international stature. Soon thereafter, Pittsburgh was the only center to transplant all organs, earning the moniker "Transplant Capital of the World." In 20 years, more than 11,300 transplants have been performed at UPMC Presbyterian <http://Presbyterian.upmc.com> , Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh and the VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System, by far the most of any center in the world.

A large percentage of the world's surgeons and physicians have been trained at the

University of Pittsburgh <http://www.pitt.edu> , and its programs continue to attract clinicians from other centers seeking to learn the Pittsburgh model. In many ways, the University of Pittsburgh has defined the field, from surgical technique, to nursing care, to the life-long management of patients. And just as significant have been parallel advances with respect to organ procurement and donation practices.

The advances made in the early ?80s by Dr. Starzl and colleagues also spawned two decades of significant advances and pioneering work by university faculty and clinical staff. These scientific and clinical accomplishments are among transplantation's most important milestones. Following are some highlights:

Thomas Starzl leads the team that performs Pittsburgh's first liver transplants. Thirty transplants are performed that year, the first at Presbyterian-University Hospital on Feb. 26, 1981. The first successful adult is Thomas Burke, then 26, who is transplanted on July 12, 1981, and today is alive and well. The first child transplanted is 2-year-old Todd McNeely, now a young adult, who is transplanted on May 9, 1981.

A UPMC anesthesiologist invents a rapid infusion system that allows rapid delivery of large amounts of blood during surgery. It is now the standard in all transplant operations.

The University of Pittsburgh performs its first heart/lung transplants.

Clinical experience at the University of Pittsburgh in large part influences the decision by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to approve cyclosporine, which leads to a proliferation of transplant centers around the world and an influx of surgeons seeking to be trained in Pittsburgh.

The world's first multivisceral transplant is performed at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh.

Stormie Jones undergoes the world's first heart and liver transplant on Feb. 14 at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh. She is the first to undergo heart and liver transplantation for familial hypercholesterolemia and helps to define the underlying defects associated with this disease.

Dr. Starzl leads efforts that result in a National Institute of Health Consensus Conference that approves liver transplantation as an accepted treatment for end-stage liver disease.

University of Pittsburgh surgeons begin performing single lung transplants.

Presbyterian Hospital is the world's second center to implant the Jarvik-7 artificial heart as a bridge to transplant and the first to discharge a patient after successful device implant and organ transplantation.

University of Pittsburgh researchers begin work to develop a new anti-rejection agent called FK-506.

UPMC surgeons are among the first to implant the Novacor Left Ventricular Assist Device.

The UPMC becomes the first Medicare-approved liver transplant center.

UPMC begins performing double lung transplants.

University of Pittsburgh researchers announce clinical results of the first 111 patients to receive FK506 to control organ rejection. It is found to be more powerful than cyclosporine with fewer side effects. Findings will eventually improve survival rates for all organ transplants, allow successful transplantation of intestines and improve the quality of life of children.

University of Pittsburgh surgeons open the nation's first liver transplant program for U.S. veterans at what is now called the VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System.

A 15-year-old girl receives the first successful transplant of pancreatic islets, the cells that produce insulin, as part of a radical "cluster" transplant. She is insulin free until her death from cancer five years later, the longest of any islets recipient.

UPMC surgeons begin performing intestinal transplants more routinely and amass the world's first successful series of transplants of the small intestine. A patient with a Novacor Left Ventricular Assist Device is the world's first patient to be discharged with an implanted device to await human organ transplantation outside the hospital. MCI founder and CEO William G. McGowan makes a gift to the UPMC that establishes the McGowan Center for Artificial Organ Development. He had undergone a heart transplant at UPMC in 1987.

Surgeons perform a four-organ multivisceral transplant on an adult who remains alive today, making him the world's longest surviving multiple organ transplant recipient.

UPMC surgeons perform the world's first baboon-to-human liver transplant in a 35-year-old man. He lives for 71 days.

Dr. Starzl finds clues to organ acceptance in patients who were transplanted up to 29 years ago. He establishes a theory involving chimerism, the co-existence of donor and recipient cells, which serves to change the field's conventional way of thinking. UPMC nurses establish the International Transplant Nurses Society.

UPMC researchers lay the foundation for what later becomes the only clinical trial of its kind of a novel aerosol spray that delivers cyclosporine directly to the lungs of transplant patients.

FK506, the drug developed by University of Pittsburgh researchers, receives FDA approval.

University of Pittsburgh researchers show for the first time that not all transplant patients require life-long anti-rejection drug treatment by successfully weaning several patients off immunosuppressant drugs.

UPMC initiates the current pancreas transplant program.

The University of Pittsburgh Transplantation Institute is renamed in honor of Dr. Starzl.

The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center receives Italian government approval to establish a unique partnership with two regional hospitals in Palermo, Sicily that is to perform organ transplants and provide other specialized services.

Researchers at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh begin the world's first trial that involves delivering donor bone marrow into the thymus during heart transplantation as a means to induce tolerance.

Dr. Starzl is called the most cited scientist in the field of clinical medicine, a measure of his work's lasting utility and influence, by the Institute for Scientific Information.

UPMC's Mediterranean Institute for Transplantation and Advanced Specialized Therapies in Palermo, Sicily, performs its first liver transplant, the first in that region.

UPMC surgeons travel to Israel to participate in the world's first implant of a new left ventricular assist system called the HeartMate II, which was co-developed by researchers at the University of Pittsburgh's McGowan Center for Artificial Organ Development. UPMC is to lead the U.S. trial.

UPMC surgeons report what is believed to be the first case of a patient with ishcemic cardiomyopathy to completely recover while on a heart assist device meant to be a bridge to transplant. The U.S. Health Care Finance Administration announces Medicare will pay for intestinal transplants in response to an appeal initiated by UPMC surgeons.

UPMC expands its living donor transplant program and begins to offer adult-to-adult living donor liver transplants.

http://chpsti.upmc.com/

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I have a friend whose father had a liver transplant in 1994. That's a decade ago. He was in his fifties at the time. He is still going strong, had no problem with rejection, so I would say that it was totally worth it.

• gumby
    gumby

XQ,.....do you ever tire of being wrong? You botch up dub doctrine, and you botch up medical information. What are you going to botch up next?

Gumby

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

Wonderful. I hear want makes liver transplants so dangerous is there is no safety net. The new liver has to hit the ground at full capacity or you poison your brain. Also for some reson the liver being part of the immune system helps reduce certain types of rejection.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

double

what do you mean botch transplans are serious. If they were so easy people would have suceeded in the 1930's. If you have a nice happy low rejection body fine but if you start clock 20+% on the tissue type test you are screwed.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Simon....the formatting on this thread is totally screwed up....my post got superimposed on XQs so that it looks like I started the thread. And the recent replies do not appear. Can this be fixed?

Screenshot:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit