Thinking about getting a Tatoo... Your Opinions.

by Confucious 32 Replies latest jw friends

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

1) Where on body.

Right shoulder (I will do it to mask a little scare)

2) What the Chinese word should say.

Dolphin (it's my sign related to Corinne !)

3) Color???

Black (of course for the chinese Caligraphy)

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

bull : Nice tatoo !!!

and No opinion : just well not tooooooo big !

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

My advice is to get a tattoo of something that is meaningful to you. I knew some guy that got a tattoo of Beavis doing his Cornholio pose. That was fine and dandy back in the day, but Beavis & Butthead aren't as popular today as they were back in the 1990s.

I got Blue Oyster Cult's symbol tattooed on my upper arm. I think the symbol looks cool, and BOC is has been my most favorite band for 8 years. The tattoo isn't very big (about 1" x 1") and it looks more like a branding than anything.

My wife has been encouraging me to get more tattoos and to get the one that I have enhanced. Personally, I'm not ready for anything else, and I'm happy with my simple one-color tattoo. My wife isn't happy with any of the tattoos she has. I don't want to end up that way, since tattoos are there for the rest of you life (even if you get it removed, you'll have a scar for the rest of your life).

Some people have tattooed the names of their brothers, sisters and children on themselves. I think that's a fine choice for a tattoo.

• Confucious
    Confucious

Nos,

That's crazy sh!t to get Beavis tatooed.

So far, I think I'm definitely going with Black only and a nice Chinese Character.

I'll decide the character, but where do you think I should put it???

• doogie
    doogie
    where do you think I should put it???

it was said before, but on bone is painful (i.e. foot or elbow or hip).

also, you might not want to get it on any body part that's going to grow/shrink/change shape too much (get your mind out of the gutter...well, actually, that would be a pretty bad spot to get a tattoo too...yeah, stay away from that whole area...)

just remember, if you get something inked on your stomach or arms, it's going to end up just as fat and flabby as you.

• Confucious
    Confucious

Is there a difference between what you would call a "feminine" place to put a tatoo and a "masculine???"

I was thinking the right ankle, but would it be too feminine???

I don't want it on my arms.

What about between the shoulder blades???

• doogie
    doogie
    I was thinking the right ankle, but would it be too feminine???

i hope not. that's where i have my sun. (it's actually more calf than ankle)

i'd steer clear of the feet. you can't put any there until you fill up the rest of your skin. otherwise i'd say it's kind of feminine.

and don't get it on the small of your back...it's a stripper tattoo. (just kidding ladies that have a tattoo on the small of your back. i personally think it's a cool spot. i've just heard it referred to as a stripper tattoo and thought it was funny)

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

I don't have any tattoos but am not against them, at one point I considered having a taiji (yin-yang) symbol in the palm of my hand, but apparently that might damage the tendons there so that's why I haven't done that.

As far as which symbol, obviously pick one that's meaningful for you - but did you want to have the word itself be about freedom? I was trying to think of a symbol for freedom but I don't know if there is a direct translation, but then again my Chinese is pretty rusty these days. Although a more symbolic idea might be the word for birth, shung, which would be like your life belongs to you now, new life sort of thing.. Another might be the word for exit, tchoo. (okay I don't know how to spell phonetically, but thats what it sounds like in Mandarin) So there are a couple ideas symbolizing freedom. If you don't read Chinese and are concerned about what the character really says ask someone, or just look it up in a dictionary. Come to think of it, you might get some ideas by typing in English words at Babelfish online.

As far as location it's already been pointed out a concealable place would be good, the thing that occurs to me is for professional reasons to look clean cut. I gave this attractive woman a massage the other day, and damn if there isn't this cute tropical fish on her butt.. If nothing else maybe I should get out of this business for this kind of reason, she may have ruined me for other women.. But yeah, that might be a feminine place - and besides not that many people will see it, and you don't exactly look at your butt in the mirror all that often. Practical advice on location shouldn't be too hard to come by though.

• jwbot
    jwbot

Please research your symbol and make sure it means what you think it means. Keep in mind to not get it because it is "trendy" which chinese symbols are, and you are getting it because it has meaning to you (which it sounds like it does).

Ankle is rather feminine, go up further on the calf. Also some states to not allow tattoing done on the foot, past the wrist or above the neck so ask the tattoo artist. Sometimes you can go at "after hours" when they are not covered by insurance to get them done in the no-no-spots. I would not recommend that but it is an option.

Think long and hard about what it is and where.

If you are thinking about numbing-don't get one. I strongly feel that if you can not handle the pain you do not deserve a piercing or tattoo. (General statement, may not apply to you). Tattoo artists will also think you are a pussy if you even ask about numbing.

A lot of black work is more painful as the tattoo needles have 3 points (as opposed to 7) for doing an outline, less needles = more pain. Trust me...I have a lot of black work :) Also some people are allergic to the red dye, make sure of this before hand that you are not (not sure how though - ask whats in it I guess) if you are getting any red.

Also think will you regret it later? I personally love body art so I encourage it. Mine will never get old and I plan to get more done.

Oh and to the person above that mention peircings....they are not permanant. My lip ring healed nicely.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Tatoo's are just as personal as piercings, and as permanent.

My suggestion is when you find one you like, get a copy of it and have somone draw it in it's target location with henna. Henna tatooing is an ancient form of body art and lasts only 2-3 weeks. If you like it, get it done permanently. If you don't no waste of time, money, and pain....

The only real negative is on tatoos that are visible when dressed for work, and employers who don't think their professional. If you aren't in a profession that cares, no problem.

Good luck.

Bren

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit