Thinking about getting a Tatoo... Your Opinions.

by Confucious 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Confucious
    Confucious

Want one as a symbol of my freedom.

Was thinking of some Chinese Characters.

Ok. Your opinion.

1) Where on body.

2) What the Chinese word should say.

3) Color???

Any other info would be good.

BTW, did I spell tatoo correctly???

• sleepy
    sleepy

Anyware but not on your forehead.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

DON'T DO IT!!!!

Tattoos and body piercings are nothing more than permanent marks left from temporary insanity.

DY

• doogie
    doogie
    permanent marks left from temporary insanity

that's kind of harsh. esp coming from someone who probably doesn't have one. whatever...

anyway, how do you know that the chinese character means what you think it means? how do you know it doesn't mean "I'm a butthead" or "I like cheese"?

go with something tough like a butterfly with a skull for a head. well...maybe that is a little insane.

my only advice is don't get something too meaningful. there may be a time in the future when you don't feel as you do now and you'll feel ridiculous. get a cool looking tat just because it's cool looking. that's my advice. (i have a cool looking sun and i'm going to get some cool looking fire around my calf...just because they look cool.) the ink is a symbol of freedom in itself...the picture doesn't have to mean anything.

• Confucious
    Confucious

Doggie,

That's some good advice.

• Tacky
    Tacky

I have both a tat and a piercing. My tat is in a spot where no one will ever see it unless I want them too. I think it's best to make sure that if for some reason in the future you don't want people knowing you have one - then put it where it will be inconspicuous. And no, it's not a temporary insanity thing. It's a I want it so I'm gonna get it thing.

Mine is a tribal star - kind of a star with a fluer-de-lis on the end of each tip if that makes any sense right on my tail bone. It hurt like Heck, but I love it... and so does my husband! It's solid black.

In my teen years I wanted a Bird of Paradise (the flower, my favorite) up my side... the stem going up my waist with the flower spanning up and across the side of my breast... in full color of course! I decided that the concept was all good and fine but the hiding would be more difficult and what would happen when I had a kid - the stretch marks and stuff (not that this is a concern for you!) So I went with the tail bone and a cool star.

I agree with the thought of don't do something too meaningful now, because all of that stuff changes as we grow and mature. Even if you are 40! Do something that is undoubtedly cool in your mind. Color fades with time but black doesn't as much. It's gonna hurt more if you do it over bone than the fleshy area's but it doesn't last for too long. Make sure that you go to a tattoo parlor that you trust. I went to the best in town. It was very clean and very professional.

DO IT! It's YOUR mark. No one else has your mark (unless your one of the Hell's Angel's and getting the mark of the club!) it's a sign of you!

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

One of my favorite comic strips is from Life In Hell.

The setting is - The Old Folks Home, Year 2050

It shows two old codgers sitting in chairs, staring at each other.

Each man is covered head-to-toe in tattoos and body piercings.

(notably, one guy has a tattoo that says "Alanis 4-ever")

One guy says to the other, "So. You were pretty stupid in the Nineties, too, huh?"

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

I had one done not long ago, and am looking for a design for my next one!!

Be careful if you have multiple chinese symbols combined - it may alter the meanings or be slogans of gangs - a friend of mine had one done a while ago (can't remember exact words - will try to find out), he was refused to be served in a chinese supermarket, and asked to leave. Their explanation was that it was a slogan used by some chinese gang...!!

My tattoo is attached...

Avoid names of girlfriends, celebrities, sports icons etc.... you may change your mind and tattoo removal is expensive.

Do a search on google - images tab, for tattoo designs, or play around with one of your own if you are 'arty' !

Cheers,

Bull!

• Confucious
    Confucious

Bull,

Wow. That's interesting.

I guess it would be similar in some LA streets not wearing Red or Blue.

Interesting and never thought about it.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Confucious

Yeah, do it! If you really are sure then just go ahead.

Bull: that looks great!! I love it,

Sirona

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit