Did You Stay as a Witness Because You Needed a Social Life & "Friends"?

by minimus 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

IMHO, only the upper crust in the congregation have a social circle to speak of.

Englishman.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Englishman, that's a good point; when I was married to a popular ministerial servant and subsequently a popular elder, there was no end to the tiresome invitations from elder worshippers. Fortunately, hubby was friends with the humorous people in the Hall so we at least had some good laughs when we got to be with his actual friends. Except sometimes when their wives were included - why is it that so many men with great senses of humor marry solid, stable, "responsible" women with seemingly no sense of humor???

...Come to think of it, that's exactly the type of woman my ex married the second time around....

• gumby
    gumby
    the upper crust

OK....lets have a definition of what the "upper Crust" consists of. Are we talking only servants here......cuz I beg to differ. Elders were not the first to be asked to get-togethers........but those in the "clicks" were. Yes......there are many in all congregations who were/are left out, but many times this included servants, as people felt more relaxed when they weren't around. Not always.....but many times.

Gumby

• minimus
    minimus

If you were a "cool elder or MS"---you were "in". If you were a pain in the ass, who would wantcha?

• gumby
    gumby

So Min.....were you a 'pain in the ass' type....or one of the 'cool daddies' , like I was

*sniffs as he walks away smilin*

Gumby

• minimus
    minimus

No, Gumby, I was not like you---one of the pains in the asses type! I was and still am the coolest of the cool, bro.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Amazingly, I was never in demand, despite my incredible warmth and charmth.

Englishman.

• dh
    dh
    Amazingly, I was never in demand, despite my incredible warmth and charmth.

the world would be a worse place if you weren't in it mike. that's the truth!

-

as for when i left the jw's, i was the one who cut ties with my friends and everyone, i isolated myself instead of the other way around, i made it so that nobody could get past the wall, to switch it off entirely was probably the best thing i ever did, it was probably the worst too because i never switched it back on again.

• Deleted
    Deleted

From August 1998 (last meeting I attended) onwards (I knew this wasn't the truth for sure by March 1999) I was right where Blondie was, I had minimal relationships and it was easy to leave. I said good-bye to 6 dubs and 5 of them told me they couldn't leave. I never asked them to, just to understand I couldn't continue. Also I had a couple of dubs during that period come by and tell me our elders were acting like Pharisees, that made it easy to go from poor leadership in the local congregation to a faulty organization, in toto.

Jack Russellite

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I stay in because of my wife and children - I have been very careful over the years (ever since reading CoC in the late 1980s ) to develop and build a social life outside the truth. The vast majority of my family are not witnesses and I have kept and built very strong contact with them over the years. I thus stay a witness for wife and children only.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit