I Need Ideas

by TowerWatch 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
    jgnat

There are so many myths and misconceptions in both camps, Jehovah's Witnesses and Christian churches. I grit my teeth when I hear a JW speaker blather on about the "corrupt practices" in other churches.

Then BOTH groups are directed "not even eat" with such a one. Christians are afraid to invite them in for fear they are entertaining apostate ideas. And vice versa.

• I think the first step is to quit demonizing the WTBTS. Actually make them out as less scary than we have painted them.
    • Then, make sure the Christian has a solid grounding in their own doctrine. Do they know WHY they believe in the trinity? Could they defend it?
    • Finally, emphasize Christian love rather than doctrinal arguments. The most successful conversions away from the WTBTS I have seen, was not over doctrine, but genuine love and care. ....and ANY Christian can do that!
  • ellderwho
    ellderwho

The problem I see is that mainline Christians do not know enough about their own faith let alone the belief system of the Jw to at least shut the Jw down in their tracks.

IMHO theres plenty of information out there to dismantle the Jw doctrines, but thats to much like work for "joe christian"

The fact that a Jw can awe "joe christian" at the door with scriptural smoke and mirror is enough for the "householder" to slam the door and forget about it. (reinforcing to the Jw "they dont want the truth")

There are many, many pastors who just do not know how to handle the Jw. Basically the average christian does not want to get invovled.

Were I live if you post a seminar about Witnessing to Jws in any church, you might get 1-5 people interested. Which is sad.

I recently posted a thread "do jws really want to study" because Ive found at least where I live they really do not want a study, or Im blackballed some how. The last couple of ladies that came to my door actually were holding "reasoning from scriptures" while trying to answer simple questions. But to someone who doesnt know much about the Jw could be bowled over by the appearance of "knowledge".

Ive studied with my moms elderhusband for 2+ years. I once veiwed him as a scriptural giant but after all the smoke and mirrors were cleared away, he really had nothing in scripture to support his position and after while it became almost laughable to sit and listen while he played spin-doctor with the scriptures.

All the while never answering the direct question. Granted this was a family member so I did take it easy on him but not all the time. All I really wanted him to do was think for himself.

Good luck with your seminar.

E.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Sorry, but I have to agree with Avengers on this one.

: I am working on a David Letterman type of ?Top Ten List? to publicize my seminars with local Churches.

In my not so humble opinion, that is an exercise in attacking one pile of crap while promoting another pile of crap. I have no problem in attacking the pile of WT crap as I've been doing that for years. The difference between you and I is that I don't offer alternative piles of crap. I let the escapees from WT crap make up their own minds without fetter.

Anyway, that's the way I see it.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit