I Need Ideas

by TowerWatch 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TowerWatch
    TowerWatch

I am working on a David Letterman type of ?Top Ten List? to publicize my seminars with local Churches. Sort of the top ten reasons a pastor would want his parishioners to become more familiar with the beliefs and practices of Jehovah's Witnesses.

I am looking for ideas for new points or ways to improve the points I already have. I would greatly appreciate your help.

Here is what I have come up with so far:

Jehovah?s Witnesses are knocking on the door of nearly every Christian.

Jehovah's Witnesses are talking to children when parents are not at home.

Christians convert unbelievers. Cults convert Christians.

Jehovah's Witnesses teach a different Jesus.

When one becomes a Jehovah's Witness they are no longer allowed to associate with non-Jehovah's Witnesses including family.

Jehovah's Witnesses teach a different salvation.

If a Jehovah's Witness breaks any of the many rules of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society they could lose the salvation they think they have earned through their obedience to the Watchtower. ( Wording problems here!)

Jehovah's Witnesses do not know the real Jesus.

Thank you I really need your help.

TowerWatch

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

God never changes.. but wtbs doctrine does. (?)

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Hi TowerWatch,

- Jehovah's Witnesses are Armageddon-crazed bible fundamentalists who fail to understand the Bible for what it is - an arbitrary collection of ancient Jewish historical and mythological books that have little relevance to our times

• TowerWatch
    TowerWatch
    God never changes.. but wtbs doctrine does. (?)

Thanks candidlynuts! I really like it! TowerWatch

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute
    the Bible for what it is - an arbitrary collection of ancient Jewish historical and mythological books that have little relevance to our times

obviously TowerWatch is a christian. and as such, believes in the bible. try to use a little tact next time. if you want to bash the bible, start a new post. then let people respond to it. thanks! i wouldn't normally say anything, but he is asking for people's help on a certain topic. and your opinion just seemed a little out of place.

bethel lights

• hubert
    hubert

How about something like:

Become a Jehovah's Witness, and you may lose family, friends, and your religious outlook.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Ok, maybe I was a little over-the-top. But there are plenty of liberal Christians who, although seeking to follow the teachings and example of Jesus, they seek to understand the historical context of the Bible and the roots of the mythology expressed therein. I guess if I was to address a church that would be one of the main points that I would try to get across - that the WT takes a fundamentalist, dogmatic approach to interpreting scripture, resulting in a narrow-minded and paranoid group of followers.

• Justin
    Justin

Dan,

I don't see the liberal position represented on this board. Instead, there is a struggle between those who are still fundamentalist in their thinking (whether of the JW or Evangelical variety) and those whose criticism of the Bible is so severe that the Book is left as a worthless piece of junk. A true liberal considers the Bible to be of value in spite of its contradictions, historical conditioning, and so forth. Unfortunately, a liberal cannot function in a war zone which is dominated by the two extremes because the liberal cannot follow either of them to their logical conclusions.

• Maggie
    Maggie

Just a couple of comments:

If you are going to speak about JW"s then tell only the truth. Pure facts...because if you paint them anyway but what they really are..then when the ones you are teaching, encounter JW"s, they, the householders, will appear to be foolish and you will appear to be even more foolish. For example: "they teach a different Jesus"...ever heard of a witness saying that? If they were confronted with that at a door....they would say something like...do you believe there is a different Jesus or two Jesus'...couldn't we agree that we both believe in the Jesus of the bible. Is there another to put faith in? So if you use an arguement like that, then it is your credibility that is at risk not that of the JW's. Just a couple of thoughts ...Maggie

• TowerWatch
    TowerWatch
    If you are going to speak about JW"s then tell only the truth. Pure facts...because if you paint them anyway but what they really are..then when the ones you are teaching, encounter JW"s, they, the householders, will appear to be foolish and you will appear to be even more foolish. For example: "they teach a different Jesus"...ever heard of a witness saying that? If they were confronted with that at a door....they would say something like...do you believe there is a different Jesus or two Jesus'...couldn't we agree that we both believe in the Jesus of the bible. Is there another to put faith in? So if you use an arguement like that, then it is your credibility that is at risk not that of the JW's. Just a couple of thoughts ...Maggie

Good point "They teach a dfiierent Jesus" is a very poor choice of words. Thanks for pointing that out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit