Question about letters to society.

by laurelin 21 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• laurelin
    laurelin

Hi.

I was reading another post about asking for your personal files. I was wondering if anyone knew if the society send copies of letters you have sent to them to your congregation.

I recently sent them a letter asking about the old information about the 1914 generation on their website.

I received a letter back from them that didn't answer the question (what's new) but was more a slap on the wrist for even deigning to ask. I was directed to a couple of articles about the apreciation and good use of older publications and told that older light had to be taken into regard with newer light and that older books still have their worth as long as we use newer ones as well.... talk about confusing.

Anyway, I was wondering if they would send the elders in my congregation a copy of my letter to them?

One thing I did glean from all this was the interesting reactions from both my husband and mother. They were both surprised to see the "old" light on the web but when I mentioned sending a letter to the society they were frankly terrified. My mother's response was "Don't show anyone in the congregation this" and my husband just paled and wafted about "Don't make it sound as if your questioning them, don't be direct etc..." I pointed out to both of them that wasn't "it strange that they were both so terrified of the reaction of the society and congregation. Should they be this frightened of them?" They both denied being frightened, but it was obvious they were.

I am grateful for any experiences on letters being sent back to congregations. Thank you.

• shamus
    shamus
    One thing I did glean from all this

You just can't take the dub out of people. Words like glean scare me.

Send too many letters into the society and you will be 'counselled' to not do so. Just ask your local body of elders. The men in brooklyn or wherever your head office is have better things to do than to answer a sheeps call. In fact, sounds like they already brushed you off. That's what they did to me when I wrote them years ago, too.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Hi Laurelin

I sent a letter to the society in NY (even though I live in UK)

About 8 weeks later two elders from the local congregation turned up at my house and said they'd been sent a copy of the letter. They were there to counsel me and see if I was an apostate. During that discussion when I raised points like "old light" they told me I was using the devil's reasoning and they left abruptly.

They returned with the Circuit Overseer. By this point I knew that if I didn't agree with them I'd be DF'd, so I played along and the meeting went fine. They left me alone after that because I wasn't attending the meetings.

I did get a reply from the society which didn't really address the main issues I raised (no surprises there )

I'd say you can guarantee the elders in your local cong will get a copy. If you don't want to be DA or DF then you'll have to agree with what they say and say you've accepted the society's counsel. Such is the way of a cult.

Sirona

• Corvin
    Corvin
    You just can't take the dub out of people. Words like glean scare me.

Oh please. You are fowling up the point of this sincere woman's question and experience by focussing on one word, which by the way, the WTBTS DID NOT INVENT.

I glean from your snyde comment that you are still a bit self-righteous with the knowledge you think you now have since leaving the organization.

Corvin

• badboy
    badboy

I once wrote a letter to the London Bethel,no elders came around.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw
    They were both surprised to see the "old" light on the web but when I mentioned sending a letter to the society they were frankly terrified. My mother's response was "Don't show anyone in the congregation this" and my husband just paled and wafted about "Don't make it sound as if your questioning them, don't be direct etc..." I pointed out to both of them that wasn't "it strange that they were both so terrified of the reaction of the society and congregation. Should they be this frightened of them?" They both denied being frightened, but it was obvious they were.

Isn't this the MOST telling part of dealing with this religion of true love an unity.

• Wolfy
    Wolfy

I wrote the Society a letter regarding the UN issue. I did get a reply from them about the Library card..blah blah. They also sent a copy of my letter and their response to the local body of elders. Had a nice little chat with an elder regarding my concerns.

Wolfy

• laurelin
    laurelin

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I think time will tell on this one as my elders already know I've been having doubts as I approached one of them about the whole Un thing (he wrote the society as he had not heard of it) but as far as I know (I didn't see his original letter) I don't think names were mentioned. It will be interesting and not a little scary to see if I do get a come back on this one. I know it might seem cowardice but if I do get a comeback from this, I'll play along with them as I really don't want to face disfellowshipping and would rather just fade away.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Laurelin,

Nice to have you here, please accept my belated welcome. I have written about four times over the recent years on various issues and i have not had any come back from the congo. In the old days, they certainly used to pass a copy letter back, but i wonder if the more stringent UK Data Protection Act has made them wary.

Good luck with your fade. I too am a "Closet Poster" for family reasons .. It is scary how much your family were afraid of the organisation that is supposed to represent the one whose load "Is kindly and light"

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

If you send them a letter of praise, they will return a letter of praise for you

If you send them a letter complaining, they will ignore you.

If you send them a letter asking a question they don't want to answer, they will have the elders visit you and accuse you of being apostate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit