Would You Ever Become A "Bible Student" & Believe In Russell's Writings?

by minimus 49 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

I don't know what becoming a "Bible Student" involves these days, but if it involves believing in Russell's writings then I couldn't become one. Maybe, like the JWs, they have evolved the Russell doctrine over the years.

I know things like 1914 are wrong for reasons that are very similar to the reasons why the JWs are wrong. Their dates are wrong Whether you count the fall of Jerusalem as 606 or 607, you're still about 20 years too early. If they still believe Russells chronology, it's wrong and I'm not going to follow another church who stubbornly insists upon a false premise. Once is enough.

• minimus
    minimus

Well jws, we agree!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

JWS:
    I agree with you, too.

Gumby:

Minimus.....as you already know, all christian faiths have this similar characteristic. They all believe their interpretation of the scriptures is "more correct" than others, and they want as many as possible to be aware of it.

I have to take issue with that. Not just because of the point but because I like taking issue with YOU and I know you can take it, bro

I would be of a mind with Augustine who stated (albeit not in modern English) "Unity in what is essential. Freedom in what is not essential. Charity in everything".
    Unfortunately the religions that espouse that kind of viewpoint don't get the same kind of media attention as do their more dogmatic brethren.

• minimus
    minimus

Wasn't Augustine a pagan?

• Deleted
    Deleted

No. But as I have said many times, including my cathartic piece from 1999, I have a soft spot for anyone who thought Rutherford was the Evil Slave. I am thinking of going to the Portland Oregon Bible Students convention in August at the Collins retreat in Eagle Creek. It's just a few miles from home. And I like my JWDF buddy "RR". Glen

• Corvin
    Corvin

Why in hell would I want to study and follow the teachings of a man whose doctrines and predictions are not only outdated, but simply erroneous from start to finish?

• Earnest
    Earnest

Wasn't Augustine the chap who said (albeit not in modern English) "Rome has spoken; the case is closed" when limiting the "freedom" of his Pelagian brethren ?

• minimus
    minimus

Corvin, give the man a chance.

• Corvin
    Corvin
    Corvin, give the man a chance.

no

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Minimus:
    Whether a pagan or not, he said something profound

Earnest:
    Who ever said humans had to be consistant?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit