A letter to my sister

by jwbot 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• jwbot
    jwbot

I got some help from someone on the board in composing a letter to my parents, but I am presenting a letter I wrote just now to my sister Johnna. She has probably been the most rabid in shunning me. She is also one that I felt very close to. Well here it is and I would like some thoughts on it.

Dear Johnna,

I am not exactly sure why I am writing this, but I have a couple ideas. Do I expect it to change your mind? Not really, but I have my hopes. It does give me a chance to get all my thoughts out though and I hope you can appreciate that. Bear with me though, as I was never a good as writer as you, so I hope you can look past any grammatical errors and not take them as a character flaw.

I hope this letter finds you well. I get snippets here and there from mom about how you are doing. I am glad you finally found a job you love, that makes me really happy. As for me, I am doing great. I have 1 more year in the New Media program and I hope to get a good job as either an art director or in web development, and perhaps go part time through a masters degree program. I saw a job opening at Down East magazine that had my name all over it, I was perfectly qualified for an art director there?but I did not have my BS degree yet?I also got a Border Collie puppy named Twobit (she is black and white and two bits is two colors in computer terms). She gives me a lot of reason to continue on. I train her every day, groom her, we will be taking obedience and agility classes, she is just the most lovable animal anyone could ask for. When ever I am sad, she knows it, and that?s when she will try to lick my face and cuddle more, I think animals are better at that than humans are sometimes, at empathy and sensing someone?s emotions.

You should probably know that I have found my soul mate. His name is Mike, and he is not only my life partner but my best friend. I would not have made it through everything that is going on my family without him. I hope you realize that I would not have gone through everything like this if I did not care so much about him. We are going to get married next year. I also want you to know that he takes good care of me especially on an emotional level and at this point in my life, I know myself enough to be comfortable with who I am and to never except anything less than what I deserve. The few conversations I have with mother, she tries to persuade me to elope, I am assuming so she can talk to me without the guilt of thinking she is letting up on me or whatever her reasoning is. Mike and I came to the decision that is not right for us and not fair to our relationship and feel it is a bad way to start a marriage. It was a very hard decision though and I want you to know that I want more than anything to have my family back, but I realize that after all is said and done, it will never be the same from this point on, and I am only beginning to realize that. We feel that we are as committed to each other as any married couple could possibly be. We have actually been through a lot together than I have ever been through in my life. I used to feel that I needed to justify our relationship, and I still do feel that a little, but not so much. People who can not see our love either do not know us well enough or they do not care to.

Because of all this, I have bonded to Mikes family. His mother, step-father, grand parents, his wonderful aunts and uncles?they accept me and do not judge me. Mike has a little sister who is 3 years old. She is one of the cutest and smartest little girls I have ever met. I gave her a computer and she already knows how to use it. These are all people that support Mike and I, and this is what I have to lean on and that is what keeps me going.

I am not sure if you remember this, but when you were disfellowshipped, you and I were sitting in mom and dads kitchen. You were silent, broken, and I told you that I would talk to you and that you can call me any time and that I would always talk to you. You never did but I can only assume that was to punish yourself, something I felt that you should have never gone through.

I am not sure what else to add, but I know your feelings (even if I do not understand them) that you will probably have to wait till I am married for you to talk to me again, and I will be waiting for that moment with open arms.

Love,

Jessie

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Great letter!

I'm so glad you have found a soul mate.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Wonderful letter to offer her the chance to open the door and that life is not dark and bleak.

Could she handle parts which show that shunning you is going beyond the scriptures and what the WT has written since you were never baptised and thus can't fall into the "if some called a brother..." catagory? And that to Mike's family it is a "bad witness" - much like the movie "The Firm" ... once in you can't leave with your life.

I hope it softens her heart.

Aren't dogs fun!

• jwbot
    jwbot

confusedjw, I am thinking about adding something like that in there. I am not sure how she would take it. I feel it would definitely be appropriate in the letter I send my parents, but I am still milling over if that should go in Johnnas letter.

Maybe in the paragraph where I talk about Mikes family...I can allude to the "bad witness" issue more...

And yes, dogs are awesome! Twobit lets me brush her teeth now...haha

• Sirona
    Sirona

That is a lovely letter, I hope it works out with your sister!

Sirona

• desib77
    desib77

I hope everything goes well with your letter...

Desi

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

yeah I like it too JWBOT !!! And the end is !

• tmo
    tmo

I think you wrote a very touching letter. Hopefully it will not fall on deaf ears although you cannot underestimate the mental bondage your family is under. I do not think it would help to add info regarding how it may be a bad "witness" for your family for her to continue shunning you. I would add something like, "You know me and you know that I am not a wicked person. I agree that you may need protection from wicked people - but in your heart you know that does not apply to me." Also, it might help to ask a little more about how she is doing - how her life is going. Let her know that you are someone she can share her life with without any reservation.

Anyway - hope this helps and good luck.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Speaking in a general way,

Some jw's are very legalistic and coporate and can be reached by appealing to the legalizm of a matter

Others more emotional and appeals to the heart are more effective.

Jes, I trust that you know how to best way to affect your sister. Read the letter through your sisters eyes and then hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I think it's perfect just the way it is. You have written it in a very warm, loving and conversational way and it sounds terrific!! Best wishes with it and do keep us posted.

hugs

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit