The Time Travel Tale of John Titor -- Brilliant Internet Hoax?

by Country Girl 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

If any of you are bored and want to read a very fascinating tale of what I think is one of the more interesting Internet hoaxes, there is the story of John Titor. The web site says:

"Although there is debate over the exact date it started, on November 02, 2000, a person calling themselves Timetravel_0, and later John Titor, started posting on a public forum that he was a time traveler from the year 2036.

One of the first things he did was post pictures of his time machine and its operations manual. As the weeks went by, more and more people began questioning him about why he was here, the physics of time travel and his thoughts about our time. In his posts John Titor entertained, angered, frightened and even belittled those who engaged him in conversation.

On March 24, 2001, John Titor told us he would be leaving our time and returning to 2036. After that, he was never heard from again. Speculation and investigation about who John Titor was and why he was online continues to this day."

http://www.johntitor.com/

Country Girl

• FMZ
    FMZ

CG, I had read about this some time ago, and it was very fascinating. Anyone can go online and say they are from the future, but this guy did it very well, and was very convincing. The only evidence against him that I actually held with any regard, was that there was a book which followed the same lines as the story he told was known by a few people. Apparently some of the things that he spoke of were main points in this book, including timelines, parts of the life of the character in the book, and also world events, though the book was nothing to do with time-travel. After finding this, I no longer believed him.

Kudos to the guy though, he had a lot of people fooled. Seemed like a nice guy tho. I think a lot of people just wanted to believe him, I know I did.

FMZ

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I *really* enjoyed reading his posts, whoever he was! There's a few Internet hoaxes similar to this which have been pulled off equally, or better, than this one. One is the story of Michael Pennington, which was a ghost that began to type to a discussion group on the Internet, and ended up writing nearly a whole book. He offers some really great commentary on being a ghost, and if even if you don't believe in ghosts, it's a great story, as he's a really gifted writer. The Michael Pennington conspiracy took thousands of users by surprise in late January of 2004. The alleged 'ghost' or 'spirit' gave a very detailed account of his life after death on a Birmingham Message Forum. The whole story was very convincing and interactive. Some have likened it to a ghostly version of the John Titor phenomena which has been well aired on the internet. His story, and an online book (free) can be found at:

http://www.michaelpennington.uni.cc/

I read this crap when I have insomnia and am bored. I wish John Titor was *still* posting, whoever he was.

Hope this post finds you well, FMZ!

Country Girl

• FMZ
    FMZ

Oooh, thanks for the link CG, will be some good reading tonight.

The post finds me very well... I am looking forward to a new job sometime soon, I'll actually get to see the light of day!

How are things going with you babe?

FMZ

• berten
    berten

Another elaborate hoax is :

http://www.wingmakers.com/

• Mary
    Mary

I would have only one criteria for someone to prove they're from the future: predict the winning numbers for the next Powerball lottery and I'll believe you.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

FMZ:

Glad to hear about your new job! Oftentimes, a new job can bring about a whole new perspective and optimism on life. Hope you enjoy it! Everything's carrying on here, as well. Hot as all get out, as usual, but that's life in Texas! Enjoy the "ghost" story...

Country Girl

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Sounds like a modern day version of the same scam pulled on the world by Jesus.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I feel that time-travel will be possible... just not in 2036. A bit later, perhaps.

Of course, this fella whut claimed he was a 'traveller'... well, to only go back about 30 - 35 years in time... I dunno. That would be good, if one wanted to set up ones' own personal finances initially, so that in the 'future', one coud be set. I just think I would go back a bit further, invest in Microsoft - or some other Hi-Tech stock, (or even Ford Motors, in the early 1900's), and let it ride.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    That would be good, if one wanted to set up ones' own personal finances initially, so that in the 'future', one coud be set

There ya go... go back 100 years and put $1000 in an investment account... then return to your normal time to find that you are very wealthy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit