Watchtower illustrations.... Are they "God inspired" also?

by hubert 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• hubert
    hubert

The NWT Bible at John 20, verse 25, clearly states "Unless I see in His hands, the print of the NAILS, (plural) and stick my finger into the print of the NAILS, (plural) and stick my hand into His side. I will certainly not believe."

Is the plural NAILS a typo? Two typos in the same sentence, and the same word? I doubt it.

So, if this be the case, then why on page 66 of the KNOWLEDGE book show the "God Inspired" illustration of Jesus on a stake with "ONE NAIL" (singular) through His wrists? Wouldn't there be TWO NAILS as their Bible states?

Also, in the "You Can Live Forever" book on page 170, show Jesus on a stake with ONE NAIL through the HANDS? Is there no consistency in their illustrations?

Mistake? (One more) ... In the W.T. booklet "What does God require of us?" page 7, shows Jesus on a stake with ONE NAIL through the WRISTS.

So, we went from one nail, (singular), in the illustrations, to two nails (plural) in the NWT Bible. and, through the wrists or hands. Not even uniformity in their illustrations.

If their are discrepancies in their illustrations that don't even correspond with their Bible verses, are they "GOD INSPIRED?"

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**If their are discrepancies in their illustrations that don't even correspond with their Bible verses, are they "GOD INSPIRED?"

(snicker-giggle)

I tend to believe they ARE........but their inspiration is from Watchtowergod, who is the "god of this system of things"!

Annie

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

On a regular cross the hands would have been apart, thus nails. But they forgot that in their stake illustrations the hands (wrists) are one on top the other, thus requiring only one nail. They made a boo boo.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    "God Inspired" illustration of Jesus on a stake

Come on!, even when I was 'in' and an elder, we used to have a good giggle at a lot of the illustrations. Just "artistic impressions" was the standard expession to explain some of the inconsistancies that you would find.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

An interesting question in light of the JWs beliefs. As JWs we were taught to obey the WT as if it were God's direction. So if you take this argument to it absurdity--if God did inspire those who wrote the WT would he not also inspire those who illustrated it? You would think that the almighty grand creator of everything in the universe could do a whole lot better in the art department than that.

• Corvin
    Corvin

I love how for may years, under Rutherford and Knorr, Jesus was always inaccurately depicted as a clean-shaven, beardless man. LOL, what arrogant arseholes those two were.

Corvin

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

In the book "Pay Attention to Daniel's Prophecy" there is a picture of a Roman sitting on a horse with stirrups.

Those were invented much later...

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista
    In the book "Pay Attention to Daniel's Prophecy" there is a picture of a Roman sitting on a horse with stirrups.

How funny...Guess it shows how much indepth research they have put into the articles!

Ride em Roman cowboys!

• Gordy
    Gordy

I always remember looking at an illustration of Jesus on the stake in the "Knowledge" book. Considering that scripture tells us he was beaten, scourged, had a crown of thorns on his head. It this picture there was not a mark on him and no crown of thorns. It loked like as if he was hanging there to get a good tan.

• hubert
    hubert

Some of you people are so funny !! I'm roaring !! ie: (Ride em Roman cowboy):cyber-sista

I had to look at the illustration in the "Knowledge" book again, to realize you are right, Gordy. Even my wife laughed, and she's very religious!

Send me more !!! LOL !!

(could do a whole lot better in the art dep't.)....That's my point too, cyber-sista

Hubert.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit