Prescription Sleep Aids

by Corvin 34 Replies latest watchtower medical

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i take atarax which is kinda like benadryl .sleep like a baby and have awesome vivid dreams with no hangover.

tried trazadone but had problems waking up the next day.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Another sleep aid which I really love because I have no side affects but I only take it during times when I just can't sleep is the one they put in Tylenol Night Time, only they make it just alone without the Tylenol. It works great

There's a very effective over-the-counter aide called "Simply Sleep".... it contains just the "PM" in Tylenol PM, not the acetametaphen. Take it about 45 minutes before you want to go to sleep. I take one and am fine...two knock me out. I only feel groggy for the first hour after I wake up if I haven't allowed a full 8 hours to sleep.

Elsewhere's mentioned Valerian. I too have found that effective, however, the first time you open the bottle, brace yourself - it stinks to high heaven .

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I don't sleep a whole lot, but when I do, I'm usually only out for 3-4 hours and then, fitfully. I've used Tylenol P.M., melatonin, and valerian. Melatonin seems to work best at getting me to sleep, but like Rodbar says, I'm only out for a little bit. I tried Trazadone, low dose, and that worked really well, plus it's not addictive.

Country Girl

• Confucious
    Confucious

I take Ambian.

But usually only once a week.

For me, I just need to take it on like a Sunday to get my sleep schedule back to normal.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Trazadone (50-150 mg) and Remeron (15 to 30 mg) are often prescribed as sleep aids.

I tried those last year when I had so much anxiety during my divorce. At the most, I got 3 hours of sleep. Talk about kvetching to my doc! It seemed like nothing at all worked last year--not even Ambien.

However, last night, I took Ambien and it worked great. I got 6 hours and I feel perky.

Coffee, anyone?

Robyn

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I have a CD of very sleepy acoustic guitar music that brings the zzzzz's almost every time. My problem isn't falling asleep, it's waking up at 3:00 am tense as hell with my mind racing.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    My problem isn't falling asleep, it's waking up at 3:00 am tense as hell with my mind racing.

That, too, is it's own special hell. The worst, imo.

Robyn

• ballistic
    ballistic

hmm, this thread got my curiosity going about online pharmacies and how they operate across international boudaries. You see, the temazepam mentioned is a controlled drug, you would need a doctors prescription in the UK and they are reluctant to write you one.

I checked out one US based site, and they said "Federal and state laws regulate the distribution of all prescription medicines. The regulations are more stringent for Schedule III-V drugs" and they ask for a written prescription.

However, another web site did not even mention the need for a prescription.

• codeblue
    codeblue

I have tried Ativan: an antianxiety medication, from the Valium family. You can't take this medication forever because it is addictive.

My Dr. prescribed it when I was going thru a divorce. I was working before the divorce and couldn't get to sleep, when I did I would wake up and NOT be able to get back to sleep.

I took one Ativan 30 minutes before bedtime. I slept like a baby. IF I woke up, I would get right back to sleep. No grogginess when I awoke in the morning.

To get off the Ativan I had to use a half then a quarter. Then I used melatonin. It works, but I found out I had NIGHTMARES....so I felt like I was working while I slept!!!

Tylenol pm, already mention is a good one...it is benadryl with acetominophen....try only one at first...because 2 can make you drowsy. If you want to save money, you can just by benadryl onlly....that's what makes you sleepy anyways.

I didn't like the Ambien....I woke up too groggy and in a bad mood...

Hope this info helps!

Codeblue

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Double Edge said:

There's a very effective over-the-counter aide called "Simply Sleep".... it contains just the "PM" in Tylenol PM, not the acetametaphen.

Elsewhere's mentioned Valerian. I too have found that effective, however, the first time you open the bottle, brace yourself - it stinks to high heaven .

Yeah that's what I was trying to say "Simply Sleep" with just the PM not the acetametaphen.

Also from what I've always been told the stinkier Valerian Root is an indicator of the higher/fresher quality it has. You are right though................stand back..............phew!

Kate

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit