by L_A_Big_Dawg 14 Replies latest social physical

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Go Lance!

YEAH!!!!!!

• Steve Egner
    Steve Egner

Hey L_A_,

Crowd "participation" in Euro cycling events is the norm, including cheering, jeering, encouraging or obscene gesturing, flag waving, running alongside and in front of, physical contact between fans and cyclists, etc.

One of the race updates I've received said that, while uncommon, spitting on a rider is not unheard of. Given that we're seeing a super dominant rider of historic stature, in a context where nationalistic emotions often flare, I think the incident is being overblown. It certainly seems as though Lance has moved on.

I don't believe the incident reflects the opinion of the majority of riders or European fans, either. Armstrong was congratulated yesterday by none other than Bernard Hinault, France's 5 time Tour de France champion. While I watch the race on OLN, I see huge crowds of folks cheering Lance on, and going berserk after his stage victories. Those can't all be Americans.

While the crowd participation can be shocking to a neophyte (and I'm not saying anyone here is), I think I like it.

Imagine how much more interesting a golf tournament would be, if the crowd could really get into it. Instead, we have "Stepford" spectators, and anyone who steps out of line gets their camera smashed.

I love cycling, and I love watching this event. And I believe that Lance Armstrong is the best American Ambassador we've got. I'll be up at 5:00 a.m. tomorrow to watch the final time trial before we split for Orcas Island. If Lance takes it at 6:30, my screams should be sufficient to wake the kids, and we'll be on our way.

Steve

• exjdub
    exjdub

"Should all Euros be tainted by Americans for the actions of a few? If so, then why, since most Euros think all Americans are bullies, based on the actions of the President.

LABD

I think that you are missing some components with your question. First off, the Germans that spit on Lance had been drinking and, as has already been covered by Simon, displaying nationalistic pride. Although misplaced and wrong they are not world leaders as President Bush is. The spitters were regular people who do not represent a country, so why would all "Euros" be tainted? It stands to reason that the actions of a world leader would far outweigh the actions of a few rabid fans.

Secondly, many Americans (I believe you feel this way if I am not mistaken) judge/judged the entire country of France by the decisions of President Chirac. France decided to not get involved with the war on Iraq and all of the French people are affected by that decision. The French have been called cowards as well as disloyal by people that did not like their stand and the decisions by their President. Sound familiar? So the very thing that bothers you about being tainted as a "bully" because of President Bush is the very thing that you have done to the French people based on decisions by President Chirac. That's called Karma dude.

exjdub

• roybatty
    roybatty

I guess we should respond by sending troops to France to protect Lance and then to Germany for for spitting on him. Actually, beating them 6 times in a row at their own game is much better payback.

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny
    The French have been called cowards as well as disloyal by people that did not like their stand and the decisions by their President. Sound familiar? So the very thing that bothers you about being tainted as a "bully" because of President Bush is the very thing that you have done to the French people based on decisions by President Chirac. That's called Karma dude.

Yup, and we did the same to Turkey too. And those wimpy Spaniards who didn't like being bombed. And now the Phillipines. All refusing or withdrawing because the majority of their people didn't actually want to be there. SOUNDS just like democracy, only it can't be, because...wait, I can't think of a good reason.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit