Lance Armstong Spat Upon by Germans. French Government Powerless

by L_A_Big_Dawg 14 Replies latest social physical

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

Lance Armstrong spit on by German spectators.

Where is the French authorities crowd control?

Should all Euros be tainted by Americans for the actions of a few? If so, then why, since most Euros think all Americans are bullies, based on the actions of the President.

Any comments?

LABD

• Simon
    Simon

Two idiots. "Wow".

I don't think it's possible to know *why* they did ... maybe they were 'supporters' of a different team or rider.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, nothing to do with being American I think. Maybe you have some kind of "persecution complex"?

http://maitland.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?class=sport&subclass=national&category=general%20sport&story_id=323227&y=2004&m=7

Armstrong within spitting distance of Tour trophy Cycling
    Friday, 23 July 2004

Australia's Robbie McEwen joined race leader Lance Armstrong in suffering the wrath of a small minority of extreme spectators on the Tour de France's 16th stage time trial up the legendary Alpe d'Huez yesterday.

Armstrong was spat at, jeered and insulted by crowding spectators as he stormed to victory over the 15.5km climbing course round 21 hairpin bends to put one hand on the big prize he is close to winning for a record sixth time.

In one of the most impressive stage wins of his great career, the American clocked 39min 41sec, just over a minute faster than second-placed Jan Ullrich of Germany and probably killed off the yellow jersey bid of nearest challenger Ian Basso of Italy. Basso started the day at 1min 25sec behind Armstrong in the general classification and finished 3min 48sec back.

But Armstrong's success was soured to an extent by the behaviour of a few of the spectators who swarmed close to the riders coming up the course.

Tour director Jean-Marie Leblanc admitted he'd seen fans spit at Armstrong and agreed with Armstrong who said having a time trial up the mountain stage was a "bad idea".

"I was scared too and I felt relieved when we reached the section with barriers," Leblanc said.

Talking to French television immediately after putting on his 62nd Tour leader's yellow jersey, the American singled out German fans for "disgusting" behaviour though he later backed away from specifying a nationality.
    McEwen, the points category leader, also copped abuse on the legendary stage route and blamed a few German fans.

Armstrong may have been given a hard time because of his long rivalry with Ullrich who is now almost eight minutes adrift.

Similarly, McEwen appeared to suffer because he's a sprint rival to German great Erik Zabel with the Australian wearing the green jersey which Zabel won six years in a row.

"This is not directed at Germany or all Germans but there was a small minority who gave me a bit of a hard time on the way up," said McEwen, who finished at 8min 28sec adrift and topped it off with a trademark wheelie.

With four days to go, McEwen leads the points category with 225, from Norway's Thor Hushovd (213) and Zabel (212) with countryman Stuart O'Grady next on 204.

Fellow Australian Michael Rogers showed his big-race pedigree to finish an encouraging 12th in the stage, around 2 minutes behind Armstrong.

O'Grady had no unpleasant crowd experiences as he took 63rd place at 5min 38sec.

"Heaps of Australians ... it was pretty awesome," O'Grady said .

"I had a lot of German and Dutch fans offering me beer. I would have loved to have stopped for one - maybe next time," he joked before playing down his green jersey aims.

Armstrong meanwhile is as confident as ever, and it looks unlikely that a successful Ullrich or Basso attack can loosen his grip on the race. However the American - who picked up his ninth time trial win from the race and his 19th stage overall - said talk of a sixth yellow jersey was premature.

"Today I was focused on just getting through the stage and trying to get the stage win and secure the lead from the overall. I'm real careful about counting to the No6. Although I can, I will do that on the Champs Elysees. Today I was focused on today."

CYCLING time-trial world champion David Millar, who was sacked this week by the Cofidis team after admitting taking the banned drug EPO, could be given a chance to ride for the Italian Amore & Vita team.

"I'm willing to help Millar - and the Amore e Vita-Beretta team is ready to take him on - just as I did with Spanish rider Jesus Manzano earlier this year when he confessed to a Spanish newspaper," team manager Ivano Fanini said.

"He is only 27 and is a talented rider who has won a world title and stages at the Tour de France and not just with the help of doping," he said yesterday.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

This is not directed at Germany or all Germans

I usually do not spit on people. However, I was at another place when this happened...

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

Simon,

The earth must have gone off it's axis. We agree! LOL. You know what? Once we have common ground, maybe there is more we can agree on.

This is something that I would never think of doing, ever. It's pretty sad.

LABD

Edited to add:

Simon, was this really neccessary?

Yes, nothing to do with being American I think. Maybe you have some kind of "persecution complex"?
    Is it possible that you can refrain from throwing gasoline....errrr, petrol on a fire?
  • SixofNine
    SixofNine

Does your post have a point, LABD?

• Special K
    Special K

All I know is that he sure has a hot new girlfriend .. Sheryl Crow.. Wowsers!.. High profile couple.

He's from texas, right?..

where is sheryl crow from?...

Special K

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

LABD,

Where is the French authorities crowd control?

I am not sure, have your tried ringing the Gendarmerie Nationale?

Should all Euros be tainted by Americans for the actions of a few?

No and yes, but the order is not important.

If so, then why, since most Euros think all Americans are bullies, based on the actions of the President.

Sprechen Sie Deutsches?

Any comments?

Please see above.

The earth must have gone off it's axis. We agree! LOL. You know what? Once we have common ground, maybe there is more we can agree on.

Oh God! Peace on Earth...not again.

HS

• RR
    RR

I got spat on a few days after 9/11, apparently the guy mistook me for a terrorist!

RR

• onacruse
    onacruse

"Everybody loves a winner...but when you lose, you lose alone."

This is, imo, one of most pathetic aspects of sport.

Lance is the first to admit that he wins as part of a team; they literally drag him up to the mountains, fall back and give him his legs, and it happens (apparently, for the 6th time)...(for the team, even though most of the team ends up 60+ places back).

imo, every person who finishes that race is a winner; and every person who tried and dropped out, is still a winner, if only because they tried.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit