Is JW all doom and gloom?

by uninitiated 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• uninitiated
    uninitiated

I am in a relationship with a man who is JW. The things he tells me leads me to believe that their beliefs espouse doing nothing to better the world as it is hopeless, and all is coming to an end anyway. This seems like a cowardly way to face the hardships in this world. Where is the love for our neighbors in this? Can someone tell me if this is really what JWs teach?

• franklin J
    franklin J

it sounds right...

JWs show their "love for neighbor" by preaching to them and attempting to convert them; a very different and not always welcome approach to "love thy neighbor". They do not socialize with outsiders and have minimal contact beyond those of their own faith.

He must not be a very strong or devoted JW or he would not be involved with you; a non JW. They are a very introverted group and do not tolerate any differing beliefs.

• betty boop
    betty boop

generally yes. Like if theres a commercial on tv for starving kids technically they arent supposed to send money to the foundation who helps poor children because that means they are putting their faith in man and not in God becausehe is the only one who can help the bad and terrible things in the world..i was surprised during 9/11 so many that i knew (who were JW's) went to Ground Zero to help with the cleanup. Then again the WT in brooklyn woudlve looked really bad not helping with a disaster in such large scale, in a city where they house their headquarters, and we know they cant have bad publicity..so there u go

• little witch
    little witch

Doom and gloom...Yep, that just about covers it. Welcome to the board, there are many real life stories and reflections here for your aid.

• TD
    TD

JW's do belief that the world as it exists today is hopeless. This belief explains much of their behavior --their "so what" attitude in the face of human triumphs and their general spurning of charity

To be fair, JW's also believe that God will fix things very soon and turn the earth into a paradise free from sickness hunger or death. The problem for the majority of humanity is that only JW's will be allowed to live there.....

• uninitiated
    uninitiated

Trust me, He is at constant odds with himself over our relationship and I do not believe we will be together too much longer, despite the fact that I have tried to be very accomodating and non judgemental regarding his beliefs.

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

Welcome unintiated!! You are in for a ear eye-full!! First, to answer your question - YES it is all doom and gloom and it only gets worse. Since you apparently are not a JW - you will be happily destroyed by the JW god in armageddon while your boyfriend prances into the New System (tm).

If he is not already putting the heat on you to become a JW, he soon will. Please, please, please inform yourself on what this cult is really all about. Read books and do an internet search. You will learn from many of us on this board how destructive they are. I was disfellowshipped at age 18 and haven't heard from my mom for many years because of their shunning doctrine.

You can test the waters by just mentioning to him that you visited an "apostate" discussion board. He will then in all likelihood begin to call us terrible names and say that we are lying, weak, lazy, unspiritual, etc. We have been hurt and abused by this destructive cult and know about all their lies. They don't want their book sellers (rank and file members) to find out the truth about the "truth" and leave.

I can't say it enough. Please please please....KEEP READING!!

• garybuss
    garybuss

Yup! You got it figured out. That's why those of us who were raised by Witness parents especially lived with a sense of impending doom while we were involved with the group and often times worse after we left. Hopefully these days of the internet access will shorten those anxiety filled days for ones like me, seeking to better their lives.

Some of the things I had to learn was how to be a good citizen and a good neighbor and a good father. It's not a hard study. Being kind and charitable is a natural thing and it easily returns when the Watch Tower Corporation is not there to suppress it.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

JWs believe that anyone and everyone who is not JW will be destroyed (slaughtered by God) very shortly now. After that these dead non-JW will be dead on the ground (as manure) and the birds of the heavens will come and pick the flesh off their bones (there are pictures in the publications that show these sorts of things) They believe that only they "JWs" will survive and inherit everything on the earth. JWs don't believe in associating with anybody but JWs because the world is lying in the power of Satan and everyone not JW is on Satan's side of the issue is soon to be slaughtered.. Does that qualify as gloom and doom?

• garybuss
    garybuss

Back in 1992 when I told my Witness brother that I was doing volunteer work with the Ronald McDonald house and answering calls on a crisis hot line, he got very angry and he said: "It's because of people like you trying to keep the world from getting worse that Armageddon hasn't come.". He said the world has to get soooo bad before Jehovah will murder everybody not a Witness and my efforts have kept it from dropping that last notch.

I never realized I had that much power. :-)

In my brother's eyes my doing good in the world was working against his best interests.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit