August 15th WT - Eliminate your unnecessary hobbies and projects

by truthseeker 50 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

You realise that a bit of sex in the afternoon would also be included in the "non-essential activities"??

• kls
    kls

I wonder how my husband will react to this crap. We collect classic cars and take them to car shows every chance we get and spend much time working on them. I wonder if i will see him packing them up in a box with a smile on his face?

• rocketman
    rocketman

I wonder who the "some" are....a list of possible explanations:

1. They are among the Uber-zealous and not only will do anything to please "Jehovah" (in reality, the elders and the wts) they then trumpet their accomplishments to that end. How else would the wts know that "some" are packing away hobbie materials?

2. The actual number of this "some" is actually extremely small. The wts heard of one or two instances of this occuring, and rather than say "one or two" it sounds more impressive to say "some".

2. There are no such jws, and the wts simply is making it up.

• JH
    JH

Nice list Walter

Did you add the hours of prayers you say every week.

To stay healthy and happy, we NEED hobbies and projects.

• 4JWY
    4JWY

When "in the world" my dad was a champion bicycle racer, and his own dad won the bronze medal in the cycling road race of the Olympics in 1912. But then- becoming a JW,- he tried to deny his past and that it had ever meant ANYTHING to him. In his late 70's he slowly brought out a photo here and there of those racing days and displayed them in the living room, yet felt ill at ease for "friends" to see them. Before he "eliminated" himself, he told my husband to keep riding his bike and for my son to keep playing golf. It was then that we realized that he really KNEW that it was wrong to have been so influenced by the WTS to give up everything meaningful to self that makes one who they are.

Our PO told us our son was spending too much time fishing, and of himself he said that keeping balanced, he could go fishing once a year and it wouldn't even matter if he caught a fish!

• JT
    JT

When "in the world" my dad was a champion bicycle racer, and his own dad won the bronze medal in the cycling road race of the Olympics in 1912. But then- becoming a JW,- he tried to deny his past and that it had ever meant ANYTHING to him. In his late 70's he slowly brought out a photo here and there of those racing days and displayed them in the living room, yet felt ill at ease for "friends" to see them. Before he "eliminated" himself, he told my husband to keep riding his bike and for my son to keep playing golf. It was then that we realized that he really KNEW that it was wrong to have been so influenced by the WTS to give up everything meaningful to self that makes one who they are.

$$$$$$$$$$$

truly sad-

do any of you recall the articles on the sister who was a balleria and gave it up or the bro who played in an orchestra and quit- i recall all the articles where folks gave up their dreams and work they loved to peddle mag for the wt corp-

and like the account above, they live in shame of their former life before a jw , even though they often long for those days

wt is indeed a very dangeruos religion to say the least

• undercover
    undercover
    do any of you recall the articles on the sister who was a balleria and gave it up or the bro who played in an orchestra and quit- i recall all the articles where folks gave up their dreams and work they loved to peddle mag for the wt corp-

Why do they lay guilt on some people to give up something they may excel at? Not everyone has exceptional muscial talent. Why let that go to waste? Why let a physical talent go to waste? Those that pursue these "worldly" goals while in school are made to feel guilty for not spending more time and effort on "spiritual" things.

Yet, the Williams sisters, Prince, George Benson, the Jacksons(of yesteryear) and others can pursue their dreams of being rich and famous or conquer a sport and remain in good graces.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I can already hear such regret in my parents' voices when they call to beg me to return to the meetings so they won't have to shun me. (Translate: Persecute me for not being in their religion - the abuser saying: why do you make me hit you?)

They are getting quite pathetic... they know they are getting old and will die... I can hear all of the regrets in their voice for things they wish they had done and things they wish they had not done... yet they stubbornly stick to their precious book publishing corporation thinking they can work their way into paradise. Very sad, really. Another wasted life.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Walter what a great break down of the week in the life of a JW, and yes now I know why the heck I burned out as a pioneer.

I have yet to see any JW abide by what the society says about recreational activites and hobbies. Wow all the JWs I knew had plenty time for exta activities aside from congregtional activity. Many elders and MS golf which takes several hours on 18 holes, then their is the club house for brewskies etc. Then sisters spend time shopping til they drop and in fact I know many sisters who shopped so much so they could deal with the stress of being a JW. There is gym and body building, you know getting ready for perfect bodies before God gives it to them. hehe.

Hobbies like visiting another family having meals and playing parlour games until someones feeling were hurt. What a life.

I am so happy to be OUT of that ORGANIZATION.

Love Orangefatcat.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

The only good and approved (stamp of approval) is: Learning a foreign language

Can you guess why? It's a pretty hard one

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit