Bill Gates: billionaire philanthropist

by Simon 36 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

I think Bill get's a raw deal. Everyone, it seems, loves to bash him and Microsoft but he does actually seem to do a *lot* of good though and has been incredibly generous. Yes, I know ... "he can afford it" ... but so can many others who chose not to and from the accounts he does take a personal interest in things (ie. not throwing money at it to sooth his conscience)

Interesting reading.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3913581.stm

• bebu
    bebu

I also salute Bill Gates' concern for his fellow man. Good for him! He sets a great example, and especially to the super-rich.

bebu

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Bill's a good guy.... who just took fantastic ideas and built an empire. You're right, at least he shares....and he's not stingy.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I missed my chance to cash in on some of Bill's money.

You see I used to work in the house next door to Bill's in a big Country Club in So. Cal. One day while I was leaving my job and crossing the street to my car here comes Bill, his wife and a van load of kids. The sun musta been in his eyes, plus the shade and shadows casting on the street I'm sure he didn't see me and nearly hit me. I had to run to get out of his way..........dumb on my part I know.

The look on his face was priceless.............so could have the law suit been. I still regret missing out on some easy (maybe) money.

Kate

PS Bill is a nice guy. He and my then boss made a really nice park area between their yards complete with a water fall, bench and just plain lovely suroundings overlooking the golf course, catch, it was for us workers to sit and eat our lunches so we wouldn't be far away just incase someone NEEDED US!

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Okay, he's a great guy, but I STILL HATE WORD!!!

There. Said it. Done with it.

Nina

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

LOL @ Cruzanheart...Funny, I was just cursing it yesterday. :)

But yeah, I have to say that Mr. Gates sets a pretty incredible example of philanthropy. And I'm not just saying that 'cause he's my boss. :)

SNG

• Mulan
    Mulan

I think almost everyone in our part of the country really like him. The Microsoft campus is pretty close and lots of jobs there. (like seattleniceguy, above) I've done a usability study there, and got a $400 product free, for about an hour of my time. That was cool.

I know (should say I used to know) several JW women who clean his house. Another of my friends used to work for Jeff Raikes and his wife (another Microsoft biggie) and has met Bill and Melinda several times. She says they are the most ordinary looking people you could ever hope to meet, and really nice, cordial and generous too. My friend held their baby (the second one) when they came to a Christmas party.....................she loves kids and asked to hold him. They let her, without hesitation.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

It's funny Simon, I've had this same post floating in my mind for a few weeks now, after I saw a comment on this board about Gates equating him with Pol Pot or Jaracz or somesuch.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I too once was employed at Microsoft although I didn't work directly for them but for a contractor. But, Bill is widely known here for his philantropy through the Bill and Linda Gates foundation. I admire him for doing things for the poor and disabled and others with his money. Many many are wealthy but few spread that wealth around to try to improve conditions for others.

Sherry

• onacruse
    onacruse

Hey, you just let me have $50 billion...I'll tool out $49.9 billion, and keep the $100 million for my troubles.

Philanthropist billionaires are, imo, a joke.

How the hell did they get their fortunes to begin with? Gates is a Harvard business grad, and his aggressive techniques are a model. That he just decided to offer a $3.00-per-share payout from the $60B MS cash stash was only because they finally worked their way through the largest of dozens of huge lawsuits against MS for monopoly and patent-infringement.

Oh, the "generosity" just oozes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit