Bill Gates: billionaire philanthropist

by Simon 36 Replies latest social current

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    funkyD: Hmmm...well, if it's just "the numbers" that really matter, then I better send a letter of thanks to Rome, for all that the Catholic church has to "help" people over the centuries (including an operation I got at a Catholic-owned hospital; cost about $15,000, but I was uninsured at the time, and they wrote it off.)

I'm not sure you should thank them for everything they've done over the centuries. I'm inclined to think that they've done more harm than good, but you should probably thank them that you're not $15,000 in debt.

I'm not sure what I'm missing here though. It might be much more heart-warming when a child donates their pocket money to a charity, but the money Bill Gates has donated can help millions of people. Call me uncaring, but I'd rather see millions of people being helped than some quaint notion of what constitutes true benevolence being validated.

• onacruse
    onacruse

funkyD, my remarks are intended to speak of motive, rather than effect.

"Philanthropist" has the connotation of "loves people." In that respect, a billionaire who develops his or her wealth by opportunistically taking advantage of others (yes, that might well be a definition of capitalism), can hardly be categorized as being a philanthropist, notwithstanding whatever percentage of their ill-got gain turns back into charity. It's motive at issue here, not quantity.

Consider what S.I. Hayakawa says about these concepts:

Charitable, humanitarian, and philanthropic all suggest a sense of obligation to aspects of life that are, or are regarded as, worthy of generous understanding and practical help. A charitable person is disposed to show a kindly and merciful attitude toward people in distress and to help them when and where possible. A humanitarian will generalize his interest in mankind along philosophic and often vaguely sentimental lines that disregard the individual in favor of the mass. A philanthropic person may be charitable and humanitarian, but has both the capacity and desire to be useful by giving large sums of money to specific causes...

So, the issue cuts back to "motive." In a characteristic sense, based on historical precedent and evidence, do I have reason to question the motives of billionaire "philanthropists"? Yes.

But, since I don't know Bill, I can't speak to his motives; perhaps he does genuinely believe in every charitable cause, for people, on his own moral principles, to which his foundation donates. In that case, he would properly be called a philanthropist...and also be deeply involved in a fundamental psychological paradigm shift.

At best, what I can say about Bill is that he (and his wife) have shown themselves to be humanitarian.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    funkyD, my remarks are intended to speak of motive, rather than effect.

Which one puts food on the table?

"Philanthropist" has the connotation of "loves people." In that respect, a billionaire who develops his or her wealth by opportunistically taking advantage of others (yes, that might well be a definition of capitalism), can hardly be categorized as being a philanthropist, notwithstanding whatever percentage of their ill-got gain turns back into charity. It's motive at issue here, not quantity.

Are you accusing Bill Gates of having gained his wealth by nefarious means? Do you have any evidence that it's from anything other than selling products that people are willing to buy? Or do you think that in itself is wrong? Motive is not an issue here. Bill Gates earned his money legitimately and is entitled to do with it as he pleases. That he has given so much to charity is surely to be commended.

A philanthropic person may be charitable and humanitarian, but has both the capacity and desire to be useful by giving large sums of money to specific causes...

Sounds exactly like Bill.

But, since I don't know Bill, I can't speak to his motives; perhaps he does genuinely believe in every charitable cause, for people, on his own moral principles, to which his foundation donates. In that case, he would properly be called a philanthropist...and also be deeply involved in a fundamental psychological paradigm shift.

If he doesn't believe it, he would be very stupid to practice it; as a result of doing so, he has less money. Only an idiot would give so much for a cause he doesn't believe in. In any case, whether he believes it or not, the end result is that billions of dollars are going to the poor that otherwise would not be.

I'm still not sure why you have such a problem with Bill Gates giving so much money away, or what you think his motives might be.

At best, what I can say about Bill is that he (and his wife) have shown themselves to be humanitarian.

Not a bad thing to be called, although he clearly also fits the definition of "philanthropist" you gave above.

• onacruse
    onacruse

funkyD, I've hesitated to further respond to this thread, primarily because it doesn't matter one whit what I think about BillG, nor does it have anything to do with exJW issues, except in an incidental way (the supposed "charity" of the WTS, for example).

However, I would ask this: Does the fact that multiple multi-billion civil lawsuits have been levied against MicroSoft, many of which have been settled (often, as per increasingly typical legalistic protocol, without "admitting" blame), count for anything?

The European Union still has an unresolved $613,000,000 judgement against MS for antitrust violations...a determination that was made by a collection of a dozen countries. And, if memory serves, not that long ago there was a US federal lawsuit along the same lines, including patent infringement.

So, tell me...was BillG sitting up there in his ivory tower saying "Oh, gosh, Steve Balmer, I can't believe you let this happen, you bastard."

• Simon
    Simon

Well, I think Bill doesn't just 'throw money' at things for whatever reason - he actually seems to put a lot of time and effort into manking sure it is as effective as possible in helping people.

A very interesting article contrasting 'giving styles' is shown here:

http://aol.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/jul2004/nf20040723_4690_db042.htm

The anti-trust complaints are, IMO, utter crap. They are just an attempt for politicians to get their hands on some free loot and flex their muscles.

Really, I would rather have Windows Media Player free with my PC than have to pay for some popup-ad-riddled piece of junk like Real Media or even worse, QuickTime. But hey, if the EU say I'll be better off not getting the best product for free and having it slickly built-in to my OS and that I need to pay for every little app I want to run - it must be so !

These are the same people who want to make rules over how 'bent' a banana should officially be and decide that the most-liked chocolate isn't really chocolate.

• sleepy
    sleepy

I think a better measure of generosity is how much it hurts you to give money away. If I have a million pounds and give away 500,000 I still have plenty of cash. If I have a hundred and give away 50 I'm buggered.

• Simon
    Simon

I agree, once you have over a certain amount of money it becomes a bit meaningless ... and yet many are *not* generous and simply pander to their own selfish whims.

Bill Gates gives more away than anyone else and also seems to put more effort into maknig sure it does as much good as possible so I think he deserves some respect on both counts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit