Anybody ever sold anything on line? Can you give me any pointers?

by Robdar 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar

Sweetp, I think that you have a good idea. I hope it works out fabulously for you.

Robyn

• neverthere
    neverthere

I sell regularly on Ebay, lots of different things all the time.

Do not follow this suggestion "It helps on Ebay if you have a few friends that can up the bid for you- if the item is not selling well, or to push the price up a bit towards the end of sale. " You will get thrown off ebay if they even suspect that you are doing this. This is called shill bidding. I had a regular return customer and we both got thrown off temporarily till we proved we were not close to each other.

Ask if you want any other info.

Diana

• Robdar
    Robdar

Thanks for the info, Diana. I may have other questions after I get started. Thanks for offering to help.

Robyn

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

I've never sold anything, but I have bought quite a few items.

I would be hesitant to buy something from someone who has a "0" rating by their name. I agree with the sell some simple things first.

As a buyer, I dislike auctions with reserves and usually skip on by them. However, I can see how a seller would want to play it safe if they have a high dollar item.

Take at least one picture. I skip auctions with no pictures.

Register and "watch" items like the ones you want to sell. It will give you a feel for what they go for.

• flower
    flower

Ebay totally rocks for selling stuff cause you get those people who are like gambling addicts or something and they get a rush from trying to keep outbidding people so they keep bidding and bidding just so they can win... . I've sold a couple of things for more than it would have cost them brand new in a store! lol.

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage
    I've sold a couple of things for more than it would have cost them brand new in a store! lol.

Actually, I experienced this over the weekend. There was a DVD that my son wanted, and to save some money, we decided to get a used one. It would have been fine if no one would have outbid me. I bid once more and was outbid again. I walked away after that (though, it can be hard, because I can be rather competitive) because with the shipping added in, a new one would have only cost one dollar more.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    As a buyer, I dislike auctions with reserves and usually skip on by them. However, I can see how a seller would want to play it safe if they have a high dollar item.

I would have to have a reserve. The appraised price is too high not too. I have checked out ebay and although they have similar plates, nobody has listed the ones that I have. They are rare because they were limited edition and are a couple of years old. You can't get them except through a secondary market. Thank goodness that the gallery owner wasn't paying attention to her inventory. If I had told her what I found out from the Bradford exchange, she would have raised the price considerably. Instead, I bought them myself.

Flower, your post encourages me to go for it. I think that I will put my keyboards on line and see what they bring.

• RR
    RR
    What all do you sell?

Believe it or not. I sell books, old Watchtower books.

RR

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Believe it or not. I sell books, old Watchtower books.

Sweet!

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

I've sold stuff on ebay, mainly for the entertainment value.

Go to the dollar store, buy some junk for a dollar.
    Take a couple of pictures.
    Write up a catchy description and list it.
    Set the price at 50 cents.
    Set the shipping at $2.50

Set back and wait.

Two months and $70.00 later I got bored with it.

Good luck.

pseudo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit