Balanced Question for All Politically Interested Posters

by bisous 42 Replies latest social current

• dubla
    dubla

bisous-

The willingness to give oneself the permission to not participate and yet actively complain or put forth opinions on what should be happening is something that diminishes our democracy.

maybe you missed the second part of my post, which i think is very relevant to this thread....ill post it again here(with some bold/italics for emphasis)......please respond if you disagree:

i know for me personally (on the political front), although i may have strong opinions on iraq, i certainly dont feel strongly enough about the republican party to spend my free time recruiting for it. i have noticed many on here feel the same way.....they may say they dont fully support the republican or democratic party, but yet they do have strong opinions on certain political subjects. thats pretty normal id say.

so, in my case, what would you expect me to be doing? i support bush on some of the major issues, but i disagree completely with some of his fundamental beliefs as well....i certainly dont support him enough to go out and recruit others to vote republican....?

aa

• bisous
    bisous

Dubla, I don't claim to have all of the answers. But in my mind it isn't as simple as Republican, Democrat, or nothing at all. For me, (I think I mentioned this here somewhere in one of my posts)...participating in Get Out The Vote activities is very important. This is not a party specific activity, rather just encouraging people to perform their civic duties. Or volunteering at a polling place to ensure ample opportunity and fairness for voters. Or picking the party that makes the most sense to you and getting involved in understanding and perhaps working for change on some of the platform positions..... I think there are lots of ways to be involved even if you aren't a diehard on one side of the fence or the other....as I said "getting out in the trenches".

This doesn't assume you are not already doing some of these things Dubla. Just don't remember your mentioning them here....so you may be registered, actively involved locally, and a host of other things that I am just not aware of.

• Badger
    Badger

I don't campaign (my first election, after all...I need to get used to it), but I have teamed with a conservative teacher at our school to invite a voter registrar to come to the school and register Senior class members to vote. They get innundated with military recruiters, so if they can fight and die for thier country, they should pick who runs it...

We also talked about sponsoring Young Democrats/Young Republicans clubs this year, respectively, and hold a series of debates and drives. however, since it is an inner city school (9/10ths Hispanic, 1/10 Black), I expect it to be a left-leaning student body. You can go out to the suburbs if you want a more right wing populous.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit