Balanced Question for All Politically Interested Posters

by bisous 42 Replies latest social current

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

I totally agree about the not spouting rhetoric bit. I have a family member that as of late sends me nothing but forwards espousing thier certain political viewpoint, which I do read,but I will not respond to the person, because I know from past interaction with the person there is no way there will be a "healthy debate" regarding the issues we don't agree on. I am expected by this person to have blind allegience to the family's political stance.This family member feels driven to share what they believe via forwards (from other sources, not even their own words), and they have in the past simply discounted any questions I have raised as a product of "party propaganda" (I'm an independent, I'm not sure why they use this reasoning) and "not enough research into the matter."

The problem with research is, differing parties with differing political stances can and do have lots of substantial reasons why they feel as they do. And they all seem to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to discredit the reasoning and sources of their political opponents, instead of just sticking to the issues of their own platform.You have to read, watch, and listen to a wide variety of sources to get a clue about what's going on, and often you have to consider what's omitted, or why a certain spin has been put on an issue.Then, when you think you have an opinion, and you share it when asked (and never share it if your not asked, as this is not pc), you have to be ready to tolerate folks who lecture you because your view is not the same as theirs (I'm not referring to respectful debate).That's exactly why politics confuses so many people, and why so many want to just avoid the issue altogether and leave it for "someone else" to handle.

One of my children who is forming his own political belief system has beliefs that are polar opposites from my own. The child's reasoning is based on not so substantial sources in my book. But does that give me the right to tell the child he is wrong? I think not.Lots of other people feel as he does. He's entitled to his own opinion, and eventually his own vote.

I agree that one should not remain an "armchair warrior" but many of us on this forum in particular have had no background in politics at all, due having been Jehovah's Witnesses. I, for one, had no clue how to even begin to become politically active, or what the issues were until I started coming to this forum. It was from the ideas and issues discussed here that I was able to have some idea how to start researching things. Frankly, going into a political message board right off the bat would have intimidated the heck out of me, because I knew I was ignorant about the political process and the issues.

I read Golf's post about running for office, but I really didn't know how to respond to it. I didn't know enough about politics to add anything useful,or even what questions I should ask, so I didn't post anything. But I did learn a little from it, and it got me interested enough to start examining local political issues here. So thanks, Golf.

I can think of one reason why people in other countries are so interested in US politics. The United States tends to portray itself as the defender of democracy, and that all countries should emulate our way of governing. So of course, other countries are going to be watching how the US conducts itself. If you set yourself up as the exemplar and savior of the world, the world is going to examine you with a fine tooth comb-both the countries and people who agree with US policy, and especially those who don't agree.What surprises me is the arrogance of US citizens.Why don't we as a rule have an interest in the politics of other countries? Why are so many of us offended by people from other countries who want to debate US politics? I, for one, am flattered that they even CARE what goes on here.

• seven006
    seven006

Politics and political issues are to much like religion. One side says they have all the right answers and the other side says they are full of shit. Once you side with or join your preferred political party or religion, they very seldom come through on a fraction of their promises. They do what gives them the best sound bites on the news, work on their golf game free of charge, and find interesting and unusual places to stash their cigars.

Biskets, if you want to have a real effect on the outcome of a presidential election, move to Florida and volunteer to be a chad counter.

If Arnold could run for president, I might finally register to vote. I loved it when he called the democrats girlie men. He makes me laugh.

D

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Pleased to hear, and not surprised you are on the Kerry side, Bisous.

I talk to anyone I can about getting Bush out of office. I'm surprised by the number of people I meet who blindly support Bush and have no idea what's really going on. This will be my first vote and I will vote against Bush. I don't have a party. I don't like what has happened to our country and how the rest of the world feels about us since Bush took office. I feel like Americans are more hated than ever. That's a shame since most of us had nothing to do with this war in Iraq and Bush's policies. So yes, I speak out in an unofficial capacity.

Flyin'

• dubla
    dubla

bisous-

I would have thought that with the vigor of opinions, involvement would be greater on the part of our posting population.
    Surely more than a handful of you are involved in supporting your candidates, either local or national?

i dont find that surprising at all. the majority of the posters on this forum have very strong and vocal opinions about jehovahs witnesses, but i would guess that the majority arent out actively campaigning to pull people out of the religion.

i know for me personally (on the political front), although i may have strong opinions on iraq, i certainly dont feel strongly enough about the republican party to spend my free time recruiting for it. i have noticed many on here feel the same way.....they may say they dont fully support the republican or democratic party, but yet they do have strong opinions on certain political subjects. thats pretty normal id say.

aa

• bisous
    bisous
    Biskets, if you want to have a real effect on the outcome of a presidential election, move to Florida and volunteer to be a chad counter.

If Arnold could run for president, I might finally register to vote. I loved it when he called the democrats girlie men. He makes me laugh.

daveywavey: yer right about the Florida thing, sad thing is I don't think that situation is repaired properly yet. oh well....but please note that presidential politics are not my primary interest rather being involved locally with areas of interest and impact that are of import to me.

And YAH, i loved that girlymen comment....but mostly because to me it exposed his mentality. too bad.

• Golf
    Golf

Cicayrix mentioned, 'healthy debates.' This is the point, people close their minds to opposing views and as such prevents anyone from having healthy debates. Their attitude is, 'It's my way or the highway.' Such an attitude has no balance.

As I mentioned earlier, at our morning coffee meetings we trash out community gossip and poltical views. The interesting aspect of our conversations is, it always ends up being humorous.

Guest 77

• AlanB
    AlanB

Jerusalem

Since I work for the government I'm limited in what I can do, but yes, without going into detail, I am supporting Bush's re-election efforts.

Erm, thats a Joke...... right ?!!

I have recently joined the Liberal Democrats (UK Party) for the sole reason that I wish to support any effort to ensure that Blair (Labour) is not re elected. (note: I voted Labour previously and feel cheated)

It is my hope that the Labour party will suffer such a defeat and be relegated to a minority party that it will send a clear message to any government that feels it can insult its peoples intelligence by lying to us about the reasons for going to war, and then talking part in a war without a legal basis and against the will of the people. In addition the government have comissioned neumerous reports that whitewash the lies with the government seemingly not to blame. Yet at the same time a report criticises the BBC, the most respected broadcasting and media agency on earth for submitting a news report prior to the war suggesting that, there were no weapons of mass destruction.

Now we have a report that suggests there were no weapons.... now there is a thing, who would have thought.

They must think we are stupid to accept this bull shit.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

I talk to anyone I can about getting Bush out of office. I'm surprised by the number of people I meet who blindly support Bush and have no idea what's really going on. This will be my first vote and I will vote against Bush. I don't have a party. I don't like what has happened to our country and how the rest of the world feels about us since Bush took office. I feel like Americans are more hated than ever. That's a shame since most of us had nothing to do with this war in Iraq and Bush's policies. So yes, I speak out in an unofficial capacity. .

Flyin'

... ... I follow you ... thanks (for the job !) Flyin'

• bisous
    bisous
    dont find that surprising at all. the majority of the posters on this forum have very strong and vocal opinions about jehovahs witnesses, but i would guess that the majority arent out actively campaigning to pull people out of the religion.

i know for me personally (on the political front), although i may have strong opinions on iraq, i certainly dont feel strongly enough about the republican party to spend my free time recruiting for it.

Actually it is precisely because posters here are recovering from a cult that I would expect individuals to be more involved in what is happening in our country and government. Following the mind control tactics which suppressed the desire for individual thought and action, for me it is almost an absolute must to be active upon my strong opinions, rather than sit by and not be part of any solution.

The willingness to give oneself the permission to not participate and yet actively complain or put forth opinions on what should be happening is something that diminishes our democracy.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    ... ... I follow you ... thanks (for the job !) Flyin'

Thanks for the coffee and the smile. I hope my efforts help in the upcoming election.

Flyin'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit