How Many Ways Can You Spell Hypocrit?

by ros 17 Replies latest jw friends

• ros
    ros

Interesting profile in the 2/15/2000 Watchtower (pp.26-29) praising a 17th-century Orthodox Church Patriarch who was murdered and thrown to the sharks for attempting to effect reform in his church.

QUOTE:
    ========================
    Cyril Lucaris (b. 1572, d. 1638) was elected Patriarch of Alexandria in 1602 then as the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople in 1620 -- second in importance to the Roman Catholic Pope in the then Christian world. He sought to make major reforms within the eastern Orthodox Church including a translation of the Bible in the common Greek language of the day so that everyone could read it. Some changes he wanted to make included stomping out the worship of Icons, the Apochryphal books, and the high authority in which the Church Father's writings were viewed and held on par with the Scriptures.
    He saw corruption and hate and ignorance and wanted it stopped by reform and education and presenting this information to the people rather than keeping such information suppressed and forbidden. He was determined to "right" the "wrongs" of his church and point a finger at those wrongs. (Ephesians 5:11)
    However, not everyone was happy with the changes and improvements he wanted to make to his church - particularly the church leaders themselves. They especially didn't like the "finger pointing." He was going to "rock the boat" and they would have none of it lest they loose their positions of comfort, security, and authority. (John 11:48) Several conspiracies villified him in the eyes of the people and the authorities in order to have him banished (disfellowshipped). Eventually he was murdered.
    . . .
    Once again, the ruling ecclesiastical class suppressed efforts to make God's Word available to their flock. They violently silenced a voice that pointed to some of the errors of their non-Biblical beliefs. They proved to be the worst enemies of religious freedom and truth.

Sadly, this is a stance that in various ways survives even to our day. It is a sobering reminder of what happens when clergy-instigated intrigues stand in the way of freedom of thought and expression.

================================

Can you BELIEVE they actually published that in the Watchtower, and it goes right over the heads of the R&FJW???

<sighhh!> Yes.
    (Shades of Raymond Franz.)
    Sometimes I think they write that kind of blatant stuff just to flaunt and annoy us xjw "apostates"!

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

We were just talking about this last night!! I guess the WTS goes with the 'A good defense is a good offense'. If the WT is busy bashing others for X offense then the dubs assume the WTS is not gulity of said X offense, even if they're the biggest offenders!!!

Ven

"I'm gonna wash that borg right out of my hair,I'm gonna wash that borg right out of my hair,I'm gonna wash that borg right out of my hair, and send it on it's way"

• Seeker
    Seeker

AlanF has speculated that these hypocritical articles could be one way for the more liberal writing department to thumb their noses at the more conservative service department. If so, the author knew very well what he was condemning!

• larc
    larc

Ros,

As I was reading your post, I was thinking, "Pretty much a parallel to the Ray Franz situation."

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Oh come on.

They've written blatently hypocrital stuff like this for years. Just add this to the pile that in 5 years the r & f will never acknowledge that was ever written let alone understand it's significance.

Slipnslidemaster: "While we are postponing, life speeds by."
    - Seneca

• ros
    ros

Ven:

If the WT is busy bashing others for X offense then the dubs assume the WTS is not gulity of said X offense, even if they're the biggest offenders!!!

As a new convert (within a year), that was one of the very first observations I made that got me starting to wonder (somewhere wayyyyy in the back of my mind).

• JAVA
    JAVA

How Many Ways Can You Spell Hypocrit, lets see:

WATCHTOWER
    WATCHTOWER SOCIETY
    WATCHTOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY
    WATCHTOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF PENNSYLVANIA
    WATCHTOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF NEW YORK, INC.

Of course there's also:

SHEPHERDING CALLS
    GOD'S SPIRIT DIRECTED ORGANIZATION
    GOVERNING BODY
    "THE TRUTH"

--JAVA
    ...counting time at the Coffee Shop

• Flip
    Flip

Hi Ros, it was Venice’s response to your post that got me thinking alternatively about this subject.

The WTBTS is a publishing company.

The most current article the writing department is authorized to publish carries more influence than articles written in the past.

Lets face it, WTBTS publications have a limited shelf life and the historical retention time span of loyal Jehovah’s Witnesses is manipulated to be very short.

This one article will supersede all others, and call into question any and all validity of “apostate” arguments that condemn Jehovah’s Witnesses don’t recognize or support freedom of religion within the WTBTS community. And will be referred to as written proof that they do, at least for a while.

Those who actually control the WTBTS are very smart cookies…you’d almost think they monitor these boards like hawks.

Flip

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

A-P-O-S-T-A-T-E

• Amazing
    Amazing

Ros: Great post. Since I don't get the magazines or other publications of the WTS, I never see these new juicy articles. I agree with you that the word hypocrit fits them to a tee. Thanks again. - Amazing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit