I, ROBOT

by Yerusalyim 20 Replies latest social entertainment

• LucidSky
    LucidSky

I want to see I, Robot this week maybe. For some *strange* reason, I seem to be drawn to apocalyptic type movies.

• RR
    RR

haven't seen it, don't go toovies much

RR

• dubla
    dubla
    Come to think of it, I'd be hard pressed to name a Will Smith Movie I DON'T like.

ive generally been a fan of his movies as well, but i can definitely name a few will smith movies right off the top of my head that were garbage:

men in black 2 (horrible....actually turned it off 1/2 way through to end the torture)

bad boys 2 (just disgusting...unfortunately watched the whole thing, necrophilia jokes, cadaver smashing, flesh exploding onto the heros faces and all)

wild wild west (please yeru, tell me you didnt like this one)

i robot looked like one big cartoonish cg scene after another to me (was it as fakey as the commercials make it look?), from the previews, so i hadnt decided whether or not to actually see it in the theater.....i might give it a shot on a lazy sunday.

aa

• Draconian
    Draconian

I'd say 25 minutes of commercials and previews is unusual, but it is the summer, and they are trying to rope rabid SF fans like you into their other movie offerings, figuring you for a "niche market" and figuring you for a sucker in the bargain. Hollywood is not pretty these days, their marketing of the movies is very formulaic, but sometimes a great director and a great movie can survive their own hype.

"Suggested by" Isaac Asimov? That reminds me how in Canada we have President's Choice (brand) sauces, usually named in the form of "Memories of [place name] sauce". So a fiery jerk chicken sauce might be called "Memories of Kingston [Jamaica]" sauce but a milder variety would be called "Vague Memories of Kingston" sauce.

BLADE RUNNER is my all-time fave movie. The androids are vicious yet you have to empathize with their plight. Overall I like "cyberpunk" SF: near-future, high-tech, low morals. Other great SF movies I can recommend are THE FIFTH ELEMENT (most expensive movie made under the banner of France), UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD (a gentle France/Germany/Australia production that's a light-hearted romp around the near-future world), JOHNNY MNEMONIC (Keanu Reeves plays, what else, a cyberhacker as well as a special courier smuggling data in his brain), MINORITY REPORT, and FREEJACK.

Also, RUN don't walk and get the DVD set of the one and only season of FIREFLY. This is a kind of 14-episode SF/western. An ex-war veteran on the losing side against an American-Chinese "Alliance" ekes out a living as a smuggler in a Firefly-class starship, accumulating an unlikely crew. Amazing ensemble acting and intimate shipboard sets. The DVD format is so compact that many video stores will rent out this set for week-long periods. The FOX network messed up the character development by showing episodes out of order, but its video/DVD release was impressive enough to encourage a movie, SERENITY, coming out next year.

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

It was a decent movie. Not going to change your life or anything--but it's always fun to see Will Smith kick some robot/alien/bad guy/etc. ass.

I had somewhat higher expectations for the movie since it's director made 2 sci-fi movies that I thought were fabulous, but it was still worth the ticket price.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I saw this on Friday and enjoyed it quite a bit.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim
    wild wild west (please yeru, tell me you didnt like this one)

OK, this is probably his worst one yet....but it was bearable because I saw it for free while traveling around in Bosnia bored to tears for three weeks.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Once again more proof of how low Hollywood will stoop to make a buck. Make a crappy "sci-fi" summer movie, with a lead actor who should have never gotten past his third-rate TV sitcom, then steal the name from one the classics, one of the greatest science fiction series ever written. Never mind that the whole point of Asimov's robot stories was to portray robots as something other than technology gone wrong, as evil creatures that inevitably turn on their creators and destroy them.

No Apologies

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

I'm just thankful Will Smith didnt do yet ANOTHER annoying family friendly, fake rap, soundtrack song for the movie.

As a side note the band Coheed and Cambria www.coheedandcambria.com have a hidden track on their album 'In Keeping Secrets of the Silent Earth:3', that is called I.Robot. This is related to the Asimov book. Ironically I never paid any attention to it till I started seeing the promotion for the movie.

Chevy of the 'sharing useless information' class

• Dan-O
    Dan-O
    There were 25 minutes worth of previews before the start of the movie (I timed it). Is that normal now days...I've been used to 10 or 15 minutes...but if a movie is advertized to start at 7PM and it's 7:25 before "FEATURE PRESENTATION" appears on the screen...somethings wrong...I'm gonna complain to the company

Complain to the theater and/or its parent company. The policies on preview vary. Some do the 25 minutes of trailers before the 7 pm start. and some start the trailers at 7 pm & the movie at 7:25. It's aggrivating to not have a consistent approach at all theaters.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit