Is It Possible To Reason With A Typical Jehovah's Witness?

by minimus 117 Replies latest jw friends

• Balsam
    Balsam

To think and reason is to question, to question is to have doubts, to have doubts is question ones faith. To question ones faith in the foundation of their belief system is frightening. I remember well how it was mentally at that point in my life. But finally the questions and doubts became so big they came spilling out of my head through my mouth. There were no satisfying answers, and that forced me to reexamine my faith in the WTS. Thus taking me away from it. Its ok to not have blind faith in something.

We can't give up reasoning with them even though it might feel hopeless. There are some who are willing to think and reason, and for those who don't then they are were they need to be with their blinders intact.

Balsam

• blondie
    blondie

There has to be a breakthrough in thinking, something they read that they see happening in the congregation. Then they will come looking for you.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink, unless they are already thirsty.

Blondie

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

NO

country girl

• seven006
    seven006

Min,

It all depends on what level of witnessized the person is. It doesn't depend on their level of intelligence as much as it depends on their level of open mindedness and having the ability to be truly honest with themselves. If they have completely succumb to the JW teaching to close their minds to any thought or concept not directly given to them by the manipulation of the cult, then trying to reason with them is useless. Witness or not, you cannot reason with ignorance or a completely closed mind.

If a JW can ever listen to themselves when they say they like or dislike something, agree or disagree with something, and then try to determine whether their response is based on JW teaching or their TRUE personal opinion, then they may have a chance. That is where being truly honest with themselves comes into play. That is the essential ingredient for any person to become self aware and a true individual.

The JW leaders know that. That is why they hound their followers with the dangers of independent thinking. They convince them it's the evil Debbel talking to them. The weak and feeble minded buy into that crap and hide behind the pseudo security of collective thinking. The ones who have the ability to see the truth about anything in life keep using their brains to eventually figure it out and begin to see things from a more honest and truthful perspective.

Watching your progression on this board from day one, you are a prime example of the latter.

Dave

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Typical JW? Definitely not. It is rare that one will truly reason with you.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I cannot reason with my wife. She does not even want me to show her proven issues.

She says, "keep that away from me". I can't risk a divorce & break-up!

Luckily, she has not told anyone my issues including the elders.

• minimus
    minimus

why thank you, Dave.....I'm a lurnin'.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I actually made a point with my mother the other day. I told her we were going to go see Fahrenheit 9/11. She would love to see it but it would be difficult to get her to a theater. Anyway, she said she didn't understand why the news people are so negative about the movie. "don't they want to know?"

I had to use that opportunity, so compared it to JW's not wanting to read apostate literature. She immediately saw the point, and shut up. She still wants to see the movie.

That's ONE FOR MULAN!!!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I had to use that opportunity, so compared it to JW's not wanting to read apostate literature. She immediately saw the point, and shut up.

Oops!

• minimus
    minimus

Mulan, tell your mom that after thinking about it, you realized it would be offensive to the "friends" and could bother their consciences to see such a political movie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit