Alternative Fuel Source...TOO COOL...Or is that HOT!

by Yerusalyim 37 Replies latest social current

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Here it is folks, one solution to our gas crunch. I support this kind of thing. Look up VEGGIE CAR on the web, this is for real.

http://www.rherald.com/news/2003/0320/People/p03.html

McGrath?s ?Veggie Car?
    To Enter Tour de Sol

Just how far will a bottle of vegetable oil get you?

"About 55 miles", says Scott McGrath, of Randolph?based NFA Technologies.

McGrath's company is one of a growing number of organizations focusing on ways to ease the world's troubled energy situation. NFA Technologies, however, sees one possible answer in a golden bottle of vegetable oil.

"I've driven to work and back on it everyday, for almost two years now." proclaims McGrath. "It's safe, clean burning, and 100% renewable?making it better for the environment."

For McGrath, and others who run their cars on straight vegetable oil, it's cheap too. Free, in fact.

"We collect waste vegetable oil from restaurants who would normally have to pay to dispose of it. We heat it up, strain the food out of it, and pump it into the car."

From there, as McGrath went on to explain, the vehicle is started and run on its "conventional" fuel, just until the vegetable oil is warm and thin enough to be used. This is accomplished using a heated fuel tank, heated filter, and heated lines. Electronic valves allow the driver to select between vegetable oil and conventional fuel on the fly, without stopping the car. McGrath says it only takes about one to five minutes of regular driving before the fuel is sufficiently warm, and the car has no noticeable difference in power. He's even put it to the test on some of the coldest Vermont mornings, with temperatures down to -20 degrees fahrenheit.

Vegetable oil as a fuel has been gaining popularity recently, but more often in the form of biodiesel; a by-product that results from vegetable after chemical reaction.

Straight vegetable oil however, as it fuels McGrath's car, differs from biodiesel in that a few modifications to the vehicle must be made. The advantage of a Greasecar system is that no preprocessing of the fuel is necessary, except filtering (in the case of using waste vegetable oil).

What's the catch? For now, McGrath says, only diesel vehicles can be converted. However, that could change with new technology.

"Just like any industry, there's new innovations being made everyday. That's what NFA Technologies is all about."

The Greasecar kit retails for around $800, and includes a custom aluminum tank, fuel lines, and switching equipment necessary for the conversion. McGrath said the conversion process was "straightforward" and "can be done in about a weekend."

NFA Technologies and Greasecar recently announced that they will be jointly entering the car in the 2003 Tour de Sol (http://www.tourdesol.org). The Tour de Sol seeks to promote transportation that decreases our dependency on foreign oil, and reduces greenhouse gases. Through the Tour de Sol, McGrath and his teammates intend to show that "Vegetable oil is among the most renewable, clean, and powerful ways to fuel a vehicle."

Vegetable oil's chief exhaust emissions are water and carbon dioxide. Since both of those are necessary for the growth of more vegetable oil-yielding plants, it is a largely renewable fuel.

"You can't argue with the facts," he said. Every gallon of vegetable oil is better for the environment, domestically produceable, and safer on the roads than petroleum."

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

The Gov needs a Manhatten Project type of Funding for Fusion. Then we will be done with these Energy problems for once and for all.

The food oil stuff is pretty cool. A good Diesel substitute.

• kls
    kls

We need alternative fuel sources and this makes sense. I have read much on this and it is very much in the work's. If OPEC want's to play games we need to show them there are other way's around them, so matbe someday they won't be laughing all the way to the bank.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Now if government would only have the WILL to move this forward.... (and I'm speaking about BOTH parties).

• Simon
    Simon

ha ha ha ha ha

It's so funny !

How long will this vegetable oil last do you think with 8MPG SUVs sucking it up?

And when the cost rises as demand increases, will more people grow it? If they do, where does the food get grown?

It is not the solution to the problem. It may contribute a little but if you think you can swap Saudi Arabia for a few fields somewhere then I think you are being wildly optimistic.

• Farkel
    Farkel

simon said,

: How long will this vegetable oil last do you think with 8MPG SUVs sucking it up?

Unlike fossil fuels, vegetables are a renewal resource and can be grown all over the world. The USA produces so much more food than it needs that it exports much of it, and pays growers not to grow any more. If growers used the land they produce for export and the land they are subsidized NOT to use, they could produce a bunch of the plants it takes to make that oil. And that is just in the USA.

Farkel

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Not only that, but with biodiesel, there is no net output of CO2. When the plants that will eventually provide the oil are alive, they extract CO2 from the atmosphere. When they are burned, that CO2 is returned. The only reason fossil fuels result in an increase is that you are releasing carbon that has been locked chemically for thousands of years, in a few moments.

I'm waiting for a biodiesel fueling station in Seattle. Then I want to get a new Passat TDI!

SNG

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Sometimes I feel Simon will Mock ANYTHING I support...SIMON, I SUPPORT YOU!

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Good stuff ... did you here about "BOUGAINVILLE" this tiny iland in papouasy ... they make it quiet good with coconut oil and not only for the cars (I've missed almost the entire item on TV to give more information)

• Badger
    Badger

I'm for this too...I would much rather deal with an Iowa Oil Cartel than the Saudis....

I also hope our domestic oil companies don't try to shut this down, either.

Badger, of the "My car can get to Phoenix on a bottle of soy sauce" class.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit