Kwan Yin

by Vivamus 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Having personally been the benefactor of the grace and favour of the Glatonbury Fairy, who am I to scoff at others beliefs?

However, I find the need for belief a far more facinating subject than the attributes of this god or that.

I see the need for belief as a direct consequence of the need for understanding of oneself.

Funnily enough, this is at the core of some religions, such as Hinduism.

Underneath the plethora of god's with dinky little attributes or what-have-you there is Brahman, who is either all the gods rolled together, or of which all the gods are part of; a subtle but importanr difference.

But Brahman isn't some bloke-with-beard, or chick with a vase and a big lizard.

Brahman is the entire Universe outside of you. Another word, 'Atman' refers to the entire Universe within you. Brahman is objective, Atman is subjective. But Brahman and Atman are the same thing too.

Each of us contains an atman within us; a mirror of the Atman, the universal spirit, which is thought of as undying.

The idea is that by knowing one's own atman, or soul, one gets an insight into the ATman and thus Brahman. by coming to know one's own undying soul, one then arrives at the knowledge of Brahman itself; which we are a part of already

Or "aham asmi Brahman" (I am Brahman) - Vedic philosophy

"Thou art god" - Robert Heinlein

"What's all this god business about, do we need one, is there one, and if so do we want it, and why does it normally end up with some poor sod nailed to a tree and others rolling in gold? - Abaddon

I do think Tori had a point though...

"Crucify"

Every finger in the room
    is pointing at me
    I wanna spit in their faces
    Then I get afraid of what that could bring
    I got a bowling ball in my stomach
    I got a desert in my mouth
    Figures that my courage would choose to sell our now
    I've been looking for a savior in these dirty streets
    looking for a savior beneath these dirty sheets
    I've been raising up my hands
    Drive another nail in
    Just what God needs
    One more victim

Why do we
    Crucify ourselves
    Every day
    I crucify myself
    Nothing I do is good enough for you
    Crucify myself
    Every day
    And my heart is sick of being in chains

Got a kick for a dog
    Beggin' for Love
    I gotta have my suffering
    So that I can have my cross
    I know a cat named Easter
    He says will you ever learn
    You're just an empty cage girl
    If you kill the bird
    I've been looking for a savior in these dirty streets
    looking for a savior beneath these dirty sheets
    I've been raising up my hands
    Drive another nail in
    Got enough guilt to start
    my own religion
    Please be
    Save me
    I cry

Why do we
    Crucify ourselves
    Every day
    I crucify myself
    Nothing I do is good enough for you
    Crucify myself
    Every day
    And my heart is sick of being in chains

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Gita, thanx, like i said in chat, i do need to learn more about Buddhism ...... it suddenly has my fascination

Gumby, you're a sweetheart

Abaddon, tho i agree, i find myself in need for something lately. Heinlein also made some pretty strong comments about religion ... and he has a good point. Tho i don't actually believe in any deity, i find their man-made characters to be peace-giving at times. What can i say ... i have issues *lol*.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Thanks, Gumby, I appreciate your apology. Especially in an email string about mercy! muah!!

Sherry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit