Completely Rediculous WT Quotes Re: Music

by Nosferatu 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Draconian
    Draconian

The WT was a pale imitation of all the Religious Right's hulabaloo against "rock music" in the 80s. They even went into claims of "backward masking," trying to convince that if you played Queen's lyric "Another one bites the dust" (slurred as "Annudawom baatz da duzt.") you would hear "Start to smoke marijuana." It's more than likely that sound-engineers in the music industry implant their little jokes, but consider this...

from SATANISM IN AMERICA: How the Devil Got Much More Than His Due by Carlson and O'Sullivan. They mentioned that the human mind is great at pattern-recognition, even when the patterns aren't actually there. If you listen to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony but you don't speak German, you will tend to interpret the choral singing into English words. Thus you will hear phrases encouraging alcoholism such as "I'm not sober; been drinking Miller." You will also hear "Heineken," a brand of beer. You will also hear a rousing chorus celebrating steam-power: "Boiler engine, boiler engine, boiler engine, boiLERR, enGEEEN..." [although what that could mean to encourage young teens to perdition is left up to the Faithful Slave to figure out.]

• Draconian
    Draconian

Shucks, the WT never found the REALLY Satanic music, only known by connoisseurs:

from SABBAT, a British heavy-metal thrash band

"Blood for the Blood God"

Once were mighty cities, now crumbled and turned to sand,

These were the Old Slann,

Infinite wisdom, their god-given right

For these genetic scientists, forming new life

But these powerful beings could never have known

Their seeds of destruction were already sown...

All this is a reference to the WARHAMMER role-playing game, of which band-members were fond of. Games Workshop still has game stores here and there, selling their rather expensive brand of boardgames based on little plastic figures of the fantasy school known as "chainsaws and spiky bits".

• avishai
    avishai
    I guess every ex-JW can recall those certain little things that really made them wonder if the white-hairs in Brooklyn are in touch with reality at all, and this was one of those things for me.

No kidding! I remember an article about disco in the 70's where they said "Even a grocery store changed it's name to Disco!!!" Well, we knew the store they were talking about, I belive they gave what state it was in.

The store had been called that from the 50's. It stood for "discount" not "discoteque"

• rocketman
    rocketman

Their dire warnings, printed and voiced as each music fad (such as disco) come and go are totally laughable.

When Elvis was shaking things up, the dire warnings given then are now totally laughable too. It all goes to show that music is pretty darn freaking harmless and that religions and parents (except in perhaps the most drastic cases) as well need not sweat such small stuff.

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

I always had loads of grief of my folks about listening to Metal... although they were avid viewers of soap opera's (another 'no - no' as mentioned at district / circuit assemblies). Strange how it's always easy to see the straw in someone elses eye......

The strongest objections I ever got from the congregation MS's was over the Monsters of Rock concert - a group of us got tickets to go see the first ever Monsters of Rock open air concert at Donington, and a 'rocking pioneer' was going to take us. We had gotten mild counselling and remarks from certain 'puritans', but we were still going. Then 2 days before the concert, the lad who was taking us was threatened with having all his congregational 'priveleges' stopped if he took us to the gig, plus he'd be removed as a pioneer. As he was the only one of us who was old enough to drive, needless to say, we never got there!! Bast*rds!

Bull!

• shamus
    shamus

I seem to recall throwing away all kinds of music when I entered the borg, because I wanted to be 'perfect'. It's pretty emberassing now, to tell you the truth.

Backward messages. They had a big thing about that, too. Utter trash. Donahue was reallly popular back then. He had a backwards playing vinyl player on his show.... I guess people were all demonized and stupid or something.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Oops. Wrong thread

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    The strongest objections I ever got from the congregation MS's was over the Monsters of Rock concert - a group of us got tickets to go see the first ever Monsters of Rock open air concert at Donington, and a 'rocking pioneer' was going to take us. We had gotten mild counselling and remarks from certain 'puritans', but we were still going.

My dad was one of those puritans! And I was the little girl writhing with pure envy when you stopped by our house on the way there!

• Will Power
    Will Power

Next time you are at a JW wedding, count how many songs are by artists that are gay.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit