Completely Rediculous WT Quotes Re: Music

by Nosferatu 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

There's some stuff I found in the publications that I found completely rediculous regarding music:

g78 5/8 pp. 16-20

A Recording Artist Finds Something Far Better
    For countless youths around the world, the ultimate symbol of success is an idolized rock-music star. For this reason, rock musicians and rock groups have played a considerable role in shaping the attitudes of their fans toward life. In a series of interviews with an Awake! correspondent, a former rock star, whose records have sold in the millions, discussed what real success is to him. The following summary of high points from those interviews may prove to be helpful to anyone seeking to attain success in life. Young people may also be helped to reevaluate their own attitudes.
    Question: You went from Tommy Ray and his Carib Steel Band to the T-Bones, didn't you?
    Answer: That's right. The T-Bones were a group recording out of California that took the Alka Seltzer commercial "No Matter What Shape Your Stomach's In" and made a million seller out of it. They saw me in New York and asked me to join the group. That's how I ended up in California.

Now, has anybody ever listened to the T-Bones (or even heard of them)? They were a surf-rock instrumental band. The Watchtower wants to make this seem like a huge lifestyle change. The T-Bones didn't have any immoral lyrics (or any lyrics at all), and the song title "No Matter What Shape Your Stomach's In" doesn't seem to portray any demonic reference. Prince is a much better example. Speaking of Prince...

g92 11/8 4-7

The rock star Prince sang the praises of brother-sister incest.

Has Prince read this? BTW, here's a sneak peak at some of his recent lyrics from the album "The Rainbow Children":

We were always meant 2 b
    In paradise eternally
    B4 the truth I did not care
    Now I feel it Everywhere

dx30-85

former rock star's life story: g78 5/8 16-20
    heavy metal: g85 11/22 19
    Huard, Bruce (life story): g85 9/22 19-22
    Led Zeppelin: g77 11/8 29
    Lerner's (Alan Jay) comment on: g80 2/22 29

Led Zeppelin gets their very own spot in the Index. Nice!!!

w83 1/15 p. 9 Modern Trends in Music - Can They Sway You?

You parents and young people: Have you checked the lyrics of some of the discs that are on sale-or that are perhaps already in your home?

Okay, I think anyone, including JWs would get in trouble opening an album in the store just to check out the lyrics. Also, the internet didn't have the popularity in 1996 that it does today.

w83 1/15 p. 9 Modern Trends in Music - Can They Sway You?

For example, one group plays a piece called "Mr. Crowley." Who is Mr. Crowley? A 20th-century satanist and promoter of modern witchcraft! In many cases, one look at the album cover should be enough for a Christian witness of Jehovah to decide whether to buy the record or not, especially when there are portrayals of witchcraft and demonism, or symbols of paganism and the occult.

Why didn't they put a picture of the album here? Shouldn't youths have an example of what to avoid?

alt

w83 1/15 7-10

Bill Mullane, former rock musician from New Jersey, U.S.A., explained it this way: "When I was playing bass guitar in a rock group the whole effect was physical. The insistent rampaging beat and the aggressive style just got through to you. As a musician I became a part of it. Then, as I watched the audience respond and get swept along with the same primitive urges, I wanted to affect them more. It's that kind of sound. It grabs you. Of course, at that time I was often under the influence of drugs, even as many in the audience were. So the euphoria grows. You know, it's like casting off all restraint. You can go wild and forget your inhibitions.

I searched the internet trying to find out who the f--- Bill Mullane was. All I came up with was the above quote on Quotes' site.

g89 6/22 12-14

A number of U.S. record companies have now agreed to put warning labels on records containing explicit lyrics dealing with sex or violence.

I suppose they mean this warning?

The Awake! sure didn't go into the details (or research) of how this happened. Who did they agree with? It sure wasn't John Denver, he was against these labels!

g94 9/22 6-8

As for the lyrics of other songs sung by screaming members of heavy-metal bands-often lip-synched by their fans at concerts in wild frenzy, or listened to on audiocassette tapes for hours on end-what influence do such messages have on impressionable youths? Consider, for example, these lyrics: "Satan our master in evil mayhem guides us with every first step," and "Spill your blood, let it run on to me. Take my hand and let go of your life . . . You've spilt the blood. I have your soul."

It's nice that the Watchtower Society neglected to mention the band's name: Slayer

Same article:

Robert Palmer, a jazz critic writing for The New York Times under the heading "Witchery Pervades a Jazz Album," commented about the black jazz group called The Art Ensemble of Chicago, stating: "The Art Ensemble of Chicago's slogan is 'Great Black Music-Ancient to the Future' . . . But there is more than one sort of blackness here. There is . . . the blackness of voodoo spells cast in the dead of night. It isn't exactly a malevolent blackness, but this is not the sort of record one would put on at even the wildest party. . . . It is a phantasmagorical expedition into the heart of darkness." As a disciple of Christ would you want that type of music in your collection?

WTF is the Watchtower Society quoting Robert Palmer for, since he was the one who sang "Addicted to Love", a song which is no doubt about sex. Robert Palmer was also in a band called "Power Station", who did a cover of a T.Rex song called "(Bang A Gong) Get It on", again a song about sex.

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

Yeah, most of the albums the WTBTS said we wern't supposed to have I'd already had for ages.

The mention to robert palmer was funny, they don't have any idea do they.

• dh
    dh

i remember when they named madonna and the beastie boys in a watchtower or awake back in the day. saying something along the lines of we shouldn't listen to them.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

This is exactly why I don't listen to classical. Beethoven was known to turn-on women of his time with his dramatic ryhthms (reference "driving beats" of today) and Mozart was a notable immoral who died of a venereal disease.

Music is always generational. In our time the 50-70 year olds would never think of Beetles as wicked music. Weren't they the ones who introduced the drug culture/eastern philosophy to America?

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

After having personally met many rock stars during my late teens (my cousin is connected in the music industry), I came to look at the WT & BS society as a group of nimrods that followed the lead of Tipper Gore and Susan Baker. You remember Tipper, don't you? She is the wife of the former vice-president, and co-founder of the PMRC back in the mid 80's. Susan Baker was husband of former Senator and Reagan chief-of-staff, Howard Baker.

All I did was laugh when I read that drivel. I had all if not most of the albums mentioned, by the WT BS Society. I proudly displayed them.

LABD

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Nost,

Perhap someone could paste this on his forum site if he has one.

g92 11/8 4-7
    The rock star Prince sang the praises of brother-sister incest.

Has Prince read this?
    We were always meant 2 b
    In paradise eternally
    B4 the truth I did not care
    Now I feel it Everywhere

OMG those are the worst lyrics ever.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

lol I made some family laugh when i told them he goes door to door in a limo!

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    lol I made some family laugh when i told them he goes door to door in a limo!

I just had a thought: is Prince's driver a Dub? If not, then doesn't that undermine the whole field-service thing? If so, then does the driver get to count the time driving Prince around? But wouldn't he be in the service of man, instead of Jehovah?

• Jahna
    Jahna

I recall back in the early 80's when my mother returned to the ?fold? she was very influenced by the WT and what they had to say about everything. Since I was into metal you can only imagine what she tried to convince me of. All in all by my listening to this type of music I was going to turn out to be ?a drug addict, prostitute, demon worshiping, good for nothing...? need the list go on. It was all that ?bad influences? found in this music. I don?t know, I never really tried to take a bat?s head off just because Ozzy did. I also never found myself chanting ?Satan is god? just for listening to AC/DC, because the WT heard the rumor AC/DC meant after Christ, Devil comes (unfounded btw). I also didn?t like pot even though I listened to Stairway to Heaven, you the one when played backwards makes you take drugs according to the WT.

She still has these same quirky ideas, me, I still listen to my hearts content the music I enjoy. I have found the WT is so into the concept that people can?t control themselves, that they need others to control what is right and wrong for them. Namely the WT btw.

Know the funny thing, take an Urban Legend and the WT sucks it up if it goes along with their policy. Several such legends will live in infamy because of the WT society.

Jahna

• unique1
    unique1

Wow, that is impressive. I love "Mr. Crowley"! Where did they get that Slayer quote? Obviously they had to sacrifice one of the bethel members and force him to listen to slayer and figure out the words. OR worse, make him BUY the album and get the words off the booklet.

I remember when they said Poison was bad. Ok so "I want action" and "talk dirty to me" were about sex, but come on demonic?

How come they never quoted Alice in Chains? "Jesus Christ, Deny you maker" They play that one on the radio unlike Slayer. Again, I really like that song. They always had to jump on the good stuff.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit