Completely Rediculous WT Quotes Re: Music

by Nosferatu 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• talesin
    talesin

There were a lot of musicans at my hall, among the elders as well. They were all into country.

When someone was criticizing rock'n'roll lyrics that had sexual connotations, I would sometimes bring up the immorality (in JW-speak) of many, many country songs. The topic was usually changed verrrry quickly. :)

• TallTexan
    TallTexan
    Robert Palmer for, since he was the one who sang "Addicted to Love",

Different Robert Palmer, dude.....

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

Unique 1 asked: Where did they get that Slayer quote?

"Satan our master in evil mayhem guides us with every first step,"

This is from "Evil Has No Boundaries" from the absolutely stellar 1983 release "Show No Mercy" - still one of the greatest thrash metal discs ever produced.

Spill your blood, let it run on to me. Take my hand and let go of your life . . . You've spilt the blood. I have your soul.

From the aptly titled "Spill The Blood" from the 1988 release "South of Heaven"

TallTexan - of the Mindless Metal Trivia class. (And who says all that time I spent in my room listening to Satanic music would never come in useful)

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Different Robert Palmer, dude.....

Is it? Well I'll be damned by the Watchtower Society!

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

More on the 'infamous' jazz critic Robert Palmer at:

http://www.jazzhouse.org/gone/lastpost2.php3?edit=920666057

• lovinglife
    lovinglife

I remember being at one of the District Conventions in the early 80's when all the hype was about certain songs having subliminal messages; by playing the record backwards. And then they played a few examples (Stairway To Heaven). Too funny! My mother was always "policing" what music my sis and I would listen to. She cracked the "Saturday Night Fever" record over her knee after finding out what the movie was about and hearing that "rumor" about the Bee Gees smoking pot to get there voices to sing that high. The slightest indecency in a song and BAM!!! no more listening to it. We didn't have too many albums to say the least; a few 45's though.

• lovinglife
    lovinglife

I came to look at the WT & BS society as a group of nimrods that followed the lead of Tipper Gore and Susan Baker. You remember Tipper, don't you?

Yes, and former Senator Paula Hawkins and her holding up that pic of Def Leppard's album cover saying it meant that they wanted ppl to burn buildings. Poor John Denver and his "Rocky Mountain High". I remember many witnesses liking him too. My unbelieving dad told me that John Denver would ask if there were any JW's in his audience at concerts and have them stand up and then he would start playing the National Anthem. Gave him quite a chuckle!

On a side note, Paula did do some other good work for kids in the state of Florida.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

A bethellite raking member did a talk in our hall and he said that if the society

wrote about a certain type of music even 100years ago it is still valid (example twist

was illeal way back & still is now). I've been to weddings, and they are either a

borefest of kenny G music or noholds barred. I guess the watching elder closes an

eye in these cases

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

One of the kids in my class got me into Prince music shortly after his first album came out. I was a year younger than Prince. I was addicted. I had all his albums, even his early "For You" album. I was out of the house and out of the Borg at that point. My family came up to visit me one summer when I was around 19 or 20. My Mother would not stay in my apartment unless I took down my Prince poster off my bedroom door, she said he was Satanic. I got this poster out of one of his albums: he has just a small pair of Speedo looking underwear on, he is in the shower, water is pouring over him and behind him is a cross. I can't remember which album that came out of. I took it down, of course.

Recently, I told her that Prince had become a Witness and married a Witness girl... she just said "They certainly wouldn't have anyone like *that* representing the Society." Huh? She doesn't believe me, of coures, much like she doesn't believe the UN thing, or anything else. I even asked her "If the UN personally sent you a letter and said that the WTBS was an NGO member, you *still* wouldn't believe it?" She said no and hung up on me. Denial runs so deep. Maybe one day she'll be asking ME what I know.. but somehow, I doubt it.

CG

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

While I should've realized it from the very first chapter of the Live Forever book, it took a reference to a completely obscure song by The Police called Murder by Numbers in one of the Society's numerous "TRUE CHRISTIANS ARE NO PART OF THE WORLD (TM)" public talk outlines to jar me awake to the fact that these guys in Brooklyn were waaayyy out of touch.

I mean, first of all the song is a parody, I hardly think Sting is an advocate of murder, second, 99.9% of the audience had likely never even heard of the song, as it wasn't a radio hit and the album it came from was over 10 years old at the time I heard the PT.

I guess every ex-JW can recall those certain little things that really made them wonder if the white-hairs in Brooklyn are in touch with reality at all, and this was one of those things for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit