CANADIANS ONLY

by josephus 24 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

orbi

Nowhere, unfortunately. Treatment of students sucks!

Now, all jokes aside, I may be able to give you some tips re obtaining federal funding, especially if you were raised JW. I would need no personal information to pass the info along. PM me if you would like.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Well, I was actually referring to Grades 1-12. However, my son is off to university next year, and after scholarships, his tuition will be around $2000 per year. That's pretty reasonable. He doesn't need to apply for any bursaries or student loans, which are available.

I pulled the following chart from Northwestern University's web site. By comparison, the University of Regina is cheap like borsch:

Student Expense Budget 2004-05
    Tuition: $29,940
    Room & Board: $9,393
    Books & Supplies: $1,353
    Personal Expenses: $1,611
    Transportation: varies
    Total Budget: $42,297

• talesin
    talesin

One of the universities here, Acadia, had a 15-year plan back in the mid nineties. They want to become "Ivy League" calibre, ie, very expensive. Tuition at Acadia is now one of the highest in the country, and every student has to purchase an expensive laptop in their first year. Among other things.

Sure enough, tuitions have skyrocketed. It's well worth seeking out all the scholarships one can.

Makes it harder on adults returning to school, big time.

The Feds have cut their funding to education to the point that the universities are now competing more and more in the foreign markets for students. In that way, they make enormous amounts in tuitions, as non-Canadians pay ridiculous sums to go to college here.

The foreign student population has increased dramatically.

• Mary
    Mary
    It would please me greatly if the rest of Canada grew the same sort of backbone that was being developed in Alberta. They seem to have shunned the 'Canadian way', you know - whine and moan behind closed doors, turn a blind eye to mismanagement and corruption, suffer in silence while hard-earned tax dollars are prized from their hands for the next multi-million dollar disaster, that sort of thing! Albertans have at least had had the fortitude and courage to shout 'enough!'.

Well said. Canadians on the whole are pretty spineless when it comes to confronting the government over waste and mismanagement of public funds. I shoulda been born an American I guess, because I stand up at every opportune moment and complain. I've done letters to the Parole Board telling them NOT to let Karla Holmoka out next year. (If I had it my way, she's be publically executed along with her scumbag ex-husband, but of course, we're too civilized here to have the death penalty for people who deserve it.) I complained about that stupid Judge who gave a 9 month sentence to a couple who tortured, caged, beat and starved their adopted kids for 13 years. I phoned the Premiere's Office when they decided to slap us with yet ANOTHER tax, supposedly to pay for Health Care.

Alberta's the only province though where there's no provincial sales tax..........you can save a bundle.

• talesin
    talesin

I do the same thing, Mary. Canadians write letters. It's one of the reasons they make fun of us.

It works, though. I try to get people up off their arses as much as I can. ;)

Good for YOU!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit