How did you find your job?

by JH 31 Replies latest jw friends

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I've been at my current job for 7 years now...and I got it by submitting my resume to a staff placement agency.

• ikhandi
    ikhandi

Found mine five years ago on monster.com

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

The last job I obtained the normal way with a résumé etc was in 1983. I worked at that company for 8 years and hated it, although I prospered. I applied for over 100 jobs without success. Finally, I asked someone I knew about a job at his company and I got interviewed and hired. Similarly, I changed again and retrained. I then took an inter-company transfer to the US and started working as a consultant. In the late 90s I had plenty of companies asking to recruit me and in 2000 I accepted an offer with my present employer.

The IT and .com-boom bust and offers dried up and I am glad to have my present job. At least in the past 3 months I have had one head-hunter call me but the job market in my line of work has still not picked up.

3rd

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

Well, there is some truth to the "It's not what you know, it's who you know" school of thought. However, I would have to say, friends/business contacts may be able to get you in the door, but you have to know a little to stay there.

A little over a year ago, a friend of mine knew I was looking for a job. She called me up and convinced me to come on board as temporary that would be hired full time. Six weeks into the ten week temp job, I was hired full time. At six months, they gave me more money. A year to the week I started as a temp, I was promoted to supervisor.

The job before that, I got by answering an ad in the newspaper. The one before that was retail. I was there for ten years; I worked my way up from cashier to working at the corporate offices.

Country

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

For me, it was a matter of being in the right place at the right time...also having a friend at this company.

I went to work in the environmental business as a truck driver. At the time, my friend who then worked for this company told me about a potential expansion. I put my application in, nine months later and one hell of a background check later...(still ongoing) ...I had a new job. Our company landed a contract with the Department of Justice and here I am a year and a half later working 3 1/2 days a week and still expecting to make around 60K this year.

Ern

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I made a database of every company in my industry within 50 miles, then generated a form letter and resume, which I mailed to each of them. I got several interviews and a few offers, none of which I accepted, until things got intolerable on my previous job - at which point I backtracked a bit and accepted one of the offers I had previously rejected (it was still available) - it was a good choice, after all; I like this company much better than the previous one.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

First job i ever had was through contacts i had. It was a good job, but when i was DF, all the JW walking in and out that office gave me the creeps and i quit.

Now i find my jobs all by myself. Quit when i want to, find another. Start a new one tomorrow

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I had went through a period when I was younger that I wanted to be a police officer, but never pursued it do to the possibility I could get baptized, I graduated high school in 1989 and figured there couldnt be more than 5 or 10 years left in this system, after 1997 I started looking back into becoming a police officer and frantically started putting applications in several police depts here in Tennessee, I was at the best and healthiest time of my life and was physically fit and no health problems, I scored high on the tests and had no negative things in my background. It turns out that one of the local officers who I considered a friend encouraged me to apply and then ended up giving me a not so good reference, and I didnt find this out until 2 years later when I was working at my present job as a corrections officer. I just happened to get the chance to look into my file and discovered his letter or recommendation and it wasnt that good. Well Anyway Ive worked as a sheriff's dept corrections officer for 5 years now, but my biggest concern right now is trying to move back closer to my mom and brother, whether it be Kentucky or Ohio. I need to be around my family and some of the familiar things of my childhood. I lived in Kentucky for 3 years around some of my cousins and other relatives and I must say it was the happiest time of my life and had alot of friends, Where I live now I have no family and very few friends. I could tell you every little backroad in kentucky and knew most everyone in the county, where I presently live I dont even know who the neighbors are. Another thing, I had always wanted to be a doctor when I was a kid, but definitely got no encouragement from my Dad the Elder.

Dave

• blobby
    blobby

Hi 1914,

Welcome...

Just got back from the district convention and learned that Satan has been busy this past year desiging clothes, fancy vehicles, running the internet, harassing witnesses, operating tatoo parlors, programming video games, making movies and books--to name a few. God pissed away the year making a book that only one page can be read of and a flimsy brochure.

I like it...

• freein89
    freein89

yeru and 1914-you guys are killin me

Deb

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit