Another weird JW forward that drives me further away

by cyber-sista 11 Replies latest jw friends

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Ok, so all the JWs know I am "inactive" now. Now, as we all know, this is not a term that means lack of physical exercise, but that JW term you get labeled with when you are not participating any longer in JW activities (spiritually weak and sick or "discouraged" are other terms used when applied to others in my situation.) One of the prices I must pay for being away is the well meaning encouragment I recieve in emails such as the one below, which I recieved today. This person well knows my situation and somehow thinks that writings of this sort may spur me on to JW activity???

Excuses, Excuses I've got one or two

And if I think hard enough, Maybe a few

It's cold out, I'm tired, My hair is a sight

The dishes are still in the sink From last night

My book bag is messy, My shoes just don't shine

I think it might flurry, The car's out of time

Excuses, Excuses, There must be some more

Hundreds, no, thousands, I can't leave my door

The people are busy, And interest they lack

If I climb those driveways, I might hurt my back

Nobody answers, There's no one in sight

There could be a dog, And it's me he might bite

The gas guage reads empty, And I'm low on cash

The wipers don't work, If it rains, I might crash

I might get a phone call, From someone in need

Or maybe I'd better go, Outside and weed

Then after the dishes, To fill in the gap

I'll get nice and cozy, And take a long nap

And Oh, I'm so hungry, I do feel quite weak

If I go out now, why, I just couldn't speak

So I'd better stay home, But then again, wait

Why, look at the clock, It must be too late

The car groups are full now, They're gone one and all

And since I am dressed, I could go to the mall

Excuses, Excuses,, Yes, I know them all

Examine them closely, You'll fine they're quite small

And now that I've gotten them, Out of the way

I'm leaving for service, I'll have a great day

Jehovah will bless me, Of this I am sure

Excuses behind me, Instead I'll endure

For what excuse is there, That I'd ever give

Worth trading for truth, To help people to live

Now, how's that for some inspiration for ya? (sounds like the person who wrote this was using excuses for her excuse for what she truly felt, which was that she truly hated going out in field service)

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

You should forward that wonderful new light in the July 1 2004 watchtower on how you should treat inactive ones.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Just thought I'd give this one more shot to the top. Maybe it was so bad that no one wanted to comment on it--I agree with that. How many of you all still get these dopey forwards from ones who know you are out of the Org?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I do not get them - here is wht I think why. By and large the WTBTS is an ageing organization. Older people tend not to be e-nabled - and do not like technology - cuople that with all the warnings about the internet and the vast majority of JWs in the nearest 3 congregations I sometimes attend do not have e-mail -- just my 2 cents

• wednesday
    wednesday

actually it was a catchy little verse, i can remember a time when it would have been encourging, but now, well, one of the last times I was in FS, i went to a door with a woman out washing her car and frankily told her "i wish i was home washing mine too" something your poem writer forgot to mention, the car needs washing

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**one of the last times I was in FS, i went to a door with a woman out washing her car and frankily told her "i wish i was home washing mine too" something your poem writer forgot to mention, the car needs washing

NOBODY (JW) forwards or emails me anything any more. Just a few after I left, but I guess they didn't like my replies about what liars the WTS was! LOL!

This remindes me of a time when *I* was out in FS too, and came upon two neighbors in the side yard, sipping iced tea and catching a breeze and generally chilling out in the hot weather. As I approached I made the comment (in my chirpy JW voice) how GOOD that iced tea looked.....and I sure wished that I had been home doing the same thing!

Nahhh..........I was just trudging along, in 90 degree heat, in panty hose and a dress, with my gigundo well-stocked-for-every-occasion bookbag..........sigh

hugs,

Annie

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

I remember a sis like that. She would email people stuff like that, and she would "witness" to people online.

We all thought she was crazy!

• Triple A
    Triple A

Was it just me or did anyone else catch themselves read the poem to the rhythm of, "Twas the night before Christmas"?

• willyloman
    willyloman

These kinds of stories and poems are common tools to urge people to be willing to sacrifice comforts for the greater good. I've heard and read these kinds of things all my life, sometimes even in talks from the platform. Hell, I used stuff like this from the platform back in the day. But there's just one problem:

For what excuse is there, That I'd ever give

Worth trading for truth, To help people to live

The assumption in the climactic line is that "truth" is at stake, as well as people's lives. If this were true, the poet would be justified. However, there is no "truth" to the claim that FS has anything to do with Truth (with a capital T), nor that it in any way saves lives. So, really, it's just a long non sequitor that happens to rhyme. To those "in" and thirsty for rationale, it will be digested whole and passed along. For those now out, it is clearly absurd and pathetic.

• talesin
    talesin

Me, too, Triple A. hehe

Cybs, that would drive me NUTS!!!

<DELETE>

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit