Jesus Christ - just a myth?

by davit 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    60 years later paul wrote the teachings and miracle of christ then suddenly many books rose from other schools of thought from supposedly from his other followers..

Paul (supposedly 20 years after Jesus' death) is remarkably silent about the teachings and miracles of Jesus. He essentially concentrates on interpreting Jesus' death on the cross and "resurrection".

Around the same time emerges the so-called "Q-source" (the written tradition common to Matthew and Luke, besides what they derive from the later Ur-Mark) which focuses on teachings ascribed to Jesus (only one miracle is generally attributed to this source as far as I remember).

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

It is possible that the Biblical character Jesus is loosely based on an actual individual or composite of individuals.

However, the object of religious adoration that is described in the Bible is a myth. He is not the son of God, he did not redeem us of our sins, and he is not ever coming back. If he existed at all, he was just a guy, whose stories got way out of hand.

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Jesus was way cool
    Everybody liked Jesus
    Everybody wanted to hang out with him
    Anything he wanted to do, he did
    He turned water into wine
    And if he wanted to
    He could have turned wheat into marijuana
    Or sugar into cocaine
    Or vitamin pills into amphetamines

He walked on the water
    And swam on the land
    He would tell these stories
    And people would listen
    He was really cool

If you were blind or lame
    You just went to Jesus
    And he would put his hands on you
    And you would be healed
    That's so cool

He could've played guitar better than Hendrix
    He could've told the future
    He could've baked the most delicious cake in the world
    He could've scored more goals than Wayne Gretzky
    He could've danced better than Barishnikov
    Jesus could have been funnier than any comedian you can think of
    Jesus was way cool

He told people to eat his body and drink his blood
    That's so cool
    Jesus was so cool
    But then some people got jealous of how cool he was
    So they killed him
    But then he rose from the dead
    He rose from the dead, danced around
    Then went up to heaven
    I mean, that's so cool
    Jesus was way cool

No wonder there are so many Christians

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

dance, jesus, dance to my tune...

CZAR

• TallTexan
    TallTexan
    Historical evidence for the crucifixion under pliate as well as a discussion.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/63458/1.ashx

Historical evidence? Part of what's listed is from the Bible. That's not 'historical evidence'.

I had to take a New Testament class when I was doing my undergrad degree and at the end of the class we had to do a lengthy research paper. I chose to do mine on the search for the 'historical' Jesus. Basically, is there independent evidence that Jesus existed (apart from that in the Bible)? It was very enlightening, because the answer is: No, not really. Some of the very well-known passages by historians such as Josephus and Tacitus that talk about Jesus are heavily suspected to have been inserted in later manuscripts by Christian transcribers. I was able to find three uncontested references to Jesus in writings of the time, and one of those is ambiguous about whether it's THE Jesus or another man named Jesus.

Tacitus and Pliny both lived and wrote well into the second century, so it's theorized that their writings are based more on hearsay and current beliefs than actual knowledge of Jesus. Josephus' well-known passage about "Jesus was the Christ" and how he "performed many wonderful things" has been verified with very little doubt to have been put in by a later Christian transcriber. (There are entire books written on this passage).

Keep in mind, though, that Jesus and his followers would have garnered very little attention AT THE TIME he existed because he was thought to be just another trouble maker, forming a sect, claiming to be the Messiah, of which there were many in that day. Also, he was executed as a common criminal, thus not being noteworthy of mention at all.

It wasn't until years after his death and the rapid rise of Christianity that his name even became noteworthy. The most supportive evidence of Jesus' existance then is simply the rise of Christianity. Obviously this 'sect' was following the teachings of someone, and it is well-documented that the Romans persecuted the followers of the 'superstition' of Christianity. It is also well-documented that the Romans were worried about the effects of Christianity on their way of life. Obviously it was making great strides and had become a nuisance. If Jesus didn't exist, where did Christianity come from, and why was it called "Christianity"? Why were Christians in ancient Rome willing to be thrown to the lions, used for sport in the gladatorial games, or even, as Nero did, be used as human torches to light the streets of Rome if they weren't convinced that Jesus had existed?

It's all interesting speculation, but it really comes down to faith.

• hooberus
    hooberus
    Historical evidence? Part of what's listed is from the Bible. That's not 'historical evidence'.

The New Testament was written close to the time of Jesus, therefore it is a historic witness to his existence (actually several witnesses since the New Testament is several books written by different authors). Even James Sill a leading atheist considers the Bible by itself to be a sufficient witness for the existence of Jesus.

Some of the very well-known passages by historians such as Josephus and Tacitus that talk about Jesus are heavily suspected to have been inserted in later manuscripts by Christian transcribers.

I believe that the James passage in Jospephus is accepted by most scholars, as is the passage by Tacitus.

I was able to find three uncontested references to Jesus in writings of the time, and one of those is ambiguous about whether it's THE Jesus or another man named Jesus.

Which three are these?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit