Jesus Christ - just a myth?

by davit 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• davit
    davit

discovered a book by Alvin Boyd Kuhn (dreadful writer) and others promoting this view

I'd really like to get all your thought son it please

regards

Davit

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

No, I don't believe he's a myth. Here's a link to the other side of the coin:

http://www.tektonics.org/tekton_01_01_01.html

Jesus Shattering the Christ-Myth
    The Reliability of the Secular References to Jesus

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi Davit, and welcome!

To me, any character who is an object of religious belief and worship is by definition a myth.

Whether there is one or several historical characters embedded in the Christian tradition is another matter, and still an open question as far as I am concerned. However, any development which becomes religiously meaningful (such as the heavenly Revealer of the johannine writings, the resurrected Son of God of the Pauline epistles or even the Wisdom teacher of the synoptic Gospels) is a myth. The same goes for other mythical characters developed out of a historical person such as Zarthost (Zarathustra) or Buddha.

• hooberus
    hooberus

Historical evidence for the crucifixion under pliate as well as a discussion.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/63458/1.ashx

• JCanon
    JCanon

Who can actually prove anything written down and in the past?

But other famous people have left evidence of their existence and the context of Christ, to me, is quite believable. To me, it's harder to create a myth from scratch than to mythologize a real event and extraordinary circumstances.

I don't think Jesus is a myth, I think he was real and the gospels are historical. But can I prove it? Or can anyone prove otherwise? at this point? I don't think so.

JC

• AlanF
    AlanF

Not at all. JCanon is a real live poster!

AlanF

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    :: Opposing Views :: :: Christianity :: :: Jesus ::

Sub-Categories

Falsified History Web Site Links

The Jesus Puzzle: Was There No Historical Jesus? - Articles, book reviews and discussions.

Christ a Fiction - Article by Robert M. Price where he states that the historical Jesus is a fiction.

Christ a Myth - Historical arguments that Jesus never existed.

The Christ Conspiracy - A collection of links to sites stating that Jesus never existed and it's all a big conspiracy.

Christ Myth - Unitarian Universalist sermon about the story of Jesus birth being based on pagan myths.

Did Jesus Ever Live or Is Christianity Founded Upon A Myth? - Article by Historicus of United Secularists of America, Inc.

Did Jesus of Nazareth exist? - Attempts to give views from all sides of the issue, with emphasis on the views that Jesus did not exist as popularly believed.

Did Jesus Christ Really Live? - Article by Marshall J. Gauvin that comes to the conclusion that the Jesus Christ of the Gospels could not possibly have been a real person but they may be about a real person.

Do Part of the Christian Gospels Come from Pagan Mythology? - Discusses the similarities between the stories of Christ as told in the gospels and the stories of figures in pagan myths, with the implication that the stories of Jesus are also myths.

Egyptian Mythology and The Nativity - The myth pattern based around the Divine Sun King is deeply embedded in Christianity.

Events in Jesus' Life that People Disagree About - Lists various events in Jesus' life that people disagree about, such as if he existed, where he was born and his physical characteristics and sexual orientation.

Existence of Jesus Controversy - Overview of arguments that Jesus did not exist.

Historicity Of Jesus FAQ - An analysis of the historical record.

Jesus Fact or Fiction - Article by David L. Kent that concludes that there is no historical evidence whatever that the Jesus of Christianity was a historical person.

Jesus: History or Myth? - Ex-minister comes to the conclusion that there is no external historical confirmation for the Jesus story outside of the New Testament. The New Testament accounts are internally contradictory. There are many other plausible explanations for the origin of the myth which do not require us to distort or destroy the natural world view. And, the miracle reports make the story highly suspect.

Jesus Mysteries Yahoo! Group - A mailing list for perople interested in discussing whether Jesus was a historical figure.

The Jesus of History: A Reply to Josh McDowell - An article by Gordon Stein, Ph.D. disproving Josh McDowell's arguments of the authenticity of the gospels' account of Jesus.

The (stolen) Star of Bethlehem - Contends that the story of Jesus' birth is stolen from Mithraism.

Jesus the Myth - by Kevin Grishkot - An argument that the stories of Jesus are a myth.

The Myth of the Historical Veracity of Jesus - From a Jewish perspective.

Pagan Origins of the Christ Myth - Christianity inherited monotheism, Heaven, the sacrificed savior son of god, resurrection, baptism, the Eucharist and more from ancient pagan religions.

Two Jesuses - Argues that there were two different persons known under the same name of Jesus Christ.

The Truth About Jesus - Is He A Myth? - Presents series of studies on the question of the historicity of Jesus, presented from time to time before the Independent Religious Society in Orchestra Hall.

Two Jesuses - Essay that claims that the New Testament tells us about two different persons known under the same name of Jesus Christ.

The Bible and Jesus Myth - A critical examination of what the Bible says about Jesus and what he is supposed to have said and taught.

Who is this King of Glory? - A lengthy critical study of the Christos-Messiah tradition, by Alvin Boyd Kuhn.

The Jesus Puzzle - Discussion of the evidence (lack thereof) of a historical Jesus. Essays and articles on site.

Historical Jesus - Historical Jesus or anti-Historical Jesus? Examines why, unlike any other name in the Bible ending in Hebrew letter 'ayin,' this name was given a 'us' ending by ~~~~iles.

• toreador
    toreador

Very interesting read! I will have to get the book.

• talesin
    talesin

I think of Jesus in the same way as I do Arthur.

He probably was a real person, but the writings about him are a part of the mythology built up around a mere legend that is larger than life.

• the mole
    the mole

just to add another thought of jesus a myth...there is evidence he existed but a said from the notes above he was real but surround by myth...this is more or less true...60 years later paul wrote the teachings and miracle of christ then suddenly many books rose from other schools of thought from supposedly from his other followers..the writings of thomas was taken out during the period when the church wanted to unite europe..much of bible was assembled after the Constitine period during the beginings of the holy roman empire..the punishment of the gnostics and other unknown books from diffrent sects had been burned..much of the bible we have today is modern and twisted from the original text..the dead sea scrolls proves the fact that many modern interpretations of the bible have changed..take for example the jw's New World translation is incorrect on many of its wording to build around the orgs own thoughts of god and christ..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit