Please tell me your story of.....

by Doubtfully Yours 25 Replies latest social relationships

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Did anyone here just broke the news to the unsuspecting spouse/SO that they just were not going to be a JW anymore?

Please tell me about the reactions and the aftermath.

Did it break the relationship, or did it survive? How long before the relationship was somewhat back to normal? If it didn't break.

DY

• flower
    flower

not me but i'm sure someone will see your thread

bttt

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

My marriage broke up 6 months after I DA'd.

Walter

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

There's quite a few true stories on here about this situation. Dmouse had an incredibly difficult time, you may want to look for his posts. Shotgun is also going through a difficult time right now, but his marriage has not split up (yet).

• jgnat
    jgnat

Amazing1914 got his whole family out, slowly. He broke it to them slowly, encouraging plenty of independent thought beforehand.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Check how it went with Cruzanheart, too.

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

Did not tell him that I was definatly out, just that I could not do it anymore, had been hurt too many time by the organisation. Maybe one day I would feel differently.

He was not happy about it and tried for ages to talk me out of it, told me that my mother and father, no longer Jdubs, had influenced me.

Gradually he tried to accept it, every now and then would ask me to go to the meetings, but apart from that did not hassle me too much.

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Here's the thread to Amazing's story - it is the first of two parts - the link to the second part is at the bottom of the thread. Before you do anything, I would read this - it is worth it.

http://www.freeminds.org/psych/exithelp.htm

growedup

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I am very close indeed to that stage - do not know if my marriage will survive me telling her that I no longer believe it is the truth and do not want to attend meetings and definitely do not want to go door to door preaching what I know are lies

• JeffT
    JeffT

During most of 1987 into the spring of 1988 we were going to meetings and service less and less. I didn't want to be there and Debbie was feeling well, so we'd go through this dance about were we going to the Hall or not? I was doing a lot of research and had a copy of CofC hidden under my side of the bed, but so far as I new Debbie still believed it. So on a nice sunny Sunday morning we decide to stay home yet again. I'm sitting at the table having coffee when Debbie comes up to me holding CofC.

I'm just thinking "I'm screwed," when she says "This is MY copy."

She'd found mine and realized what was going on. We never went to the hall again, although we did go to the DC that summer, but with a very critical eye as to what was going on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit