Mama's Memorial

by Sentinel 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Most here remember that my mother died after her heart surgery on June 17th. She has four grown children, and we are very close now as always and feeling like we are now "orphans", without both our parents in this physical life.

The KH in Bradenton gave her a Memorial on Monday evening, July 5th. My brother was the only one of the children to attend. We three sisters were actively being shunned, so we jointly decided not to travel the very long distances.

My brother took care of everything, which was agreed upon. Mom always remained connected to him to the very end. He had to go through all her personal things, which were mostly just remembrances, as she had moved in with her dear sister and had gotten rid of so much. But still, he and his wife had to go through and box all her clothes, etc. He said it was the most difficult thing he's ever had to do. But her Will specifically appointed him to do this, even though he is the youngest.

I had sent my own written "Memories" to be made part of the goodbye and promises "talk", but of course, the Elder could not deviate from the societies written speech. Still, with all the lovely flowers and memorial cards and the enlarged picture of her up front, over 100 of her dear friends and family showed up to say goodbye. My brother told me he has never been to such a gathering with so many people, and that the Elder made certain to include mom's favorite Kingdom music. They say it was a most outstanding talk from someone mom had great confidence in--- My mother was indeed beloved by so many....

We are being sent a copy of the "talk" on tape, and remembrances to hold onto. She had already been cremated which was her wish. Her ashes placed in the same spot as dad's, who died in '01. This was her wish as well. My brother took lots of pictures to share with us. Pictures of the KH on the day of the Memorial, and pictures of her little room just as it was when she went off the get her surgery that morning. I had called her, and she was very hopeful. I helped her to be brave and told her to remember my smiling face as they put her under. She told me that she loved me with all her heart and that she would do just that. She went to sleep and her soul left the shell behind and went to it's universal home. She never regained consciousness. This woman sacrificed so much of her own self to her great faith. It broke her heart to shun us, but at the same time gave her a great strength and vigor to continue with the rules of the society as she understood them. She had a great fear of displeasing her Jah.

Our brother gathered up "gift packages" which he sent to each of us, and the rest of the many family momentos, pictures, etc. were all shipped to his home to sort through later on. He is glad to be back home. What a week it was for him---for all of us. We were there with our hearts, but we acknowledged our mother's wishes about attending the memorial. In other words, she wouldn't have wanted her daughters--the living dead--to mingle among her friends. Oh, my aunt said that we could come if we wanted, but then she added the words, "but you know how your mother felt". That was answer enough for each of us.

Grief is a strange emotion, as it comes and goes in strong currents, within the day and night, as I smell certain things, hear certain music, look at pictures, read old letters and remember so many things. My beautiful memories will sustain me. I know that mom loved each of us, but felt that any association with us would bring her down. She was faithful to the end, and her earthly journey in that shell is dust again. I don't know exactly what has happened to her soul, but I feel her so close at times, and there is so much love, and a feeling that at last, she does understand. Her experience helped her along her path, and so she continues on the wheel within the universe. This is a great comfort to me and my family.

Love,

Karen

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

Sorry to hear about your loss Karen.

• jgnat
    jgnat

It seems you grieve like I do, Sentinel. I preserve those I love with my memories. Lovely post.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

((((Karen))))

I'm sorry about your Mom's death You have a beautiful way of expressing such warm thoughts, and without a trace of bitterness. I have far to go, to get to where you are now. My Mom died two and a half years ago---and hadn't spoken to me in 1972. She wasn't a JW---but chose not to have anything to do with me when I got baptized.

Your family is amazing, how they seem to have dealt with the "differences" in religious choices and remained civil to one another. What a nice post to read despite the heartache you are feeling.

hugs,

Annie

• New Castles
    New Castles

Karen, my deepest sympathies for you in this time of loss. Your post was heartfelt and I was moved by how you preserve your mothers memory...

Best of luck to you and you are in my thoughts

(((Karen)))

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Your post was so moving... It must have been hard to write...Your Mother comes accross as a lovely lady whom we would have been proud to call our sister, in the old days. A real sincere Christian . Whatever God has in store for her I am sure he will "Remember her for good"

It is such a hard time, to lose your Mother. mine died many years ago but I still miss her sometimes. I wonder how she would have reacted to my leaving the faith?

Bear up Karen , Thank you for sharing your thoughts

• Brummie
    Brummie

Very moving sentinal, a lovely tribute to a lovely lady

x x x

((((((S))))))

Brummie

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Grief is a strange emotion, as it comes and goes in strong currents, within the day and night, as I smell certain things, hear certain music, look at pictures, read old letters and remember so many things. My beautiful memories will sustain me. I know that mom loved each of us, but felt that any association with us would bring her down. She was faithful to the end, and her earthly journey in that shell is dust again. I don't know exactly what has happened to her soul, but I feel her so close at times, and there is so much love, and a feeling that at last, she does understand. Her experience helped her along her path, and so she continues on the wheel within the universe. This is a great comfort to me and my family.

Very well said. My condolences to you. Time DOES heal all wounds and really does temper grief.

I know that mom loved each of us, but felt that any association with us would bring her down. ..... but I feel her so close at times,

Truly, she's probably making up for lost time. There have been several times that I've felt 'so close' to my father....and he passed on years ago.

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

Oh, Karen, I am so sorry about your mom. My mom is also a jw. So I can relate to some of the feelings you mentioned above. It seems like she was a wonderful person. I'm sure she loved you very much, and you loved her as much. I love my mom, too. Still I feel scared and nervous around her because of the experieces I had when I DA'd. But I love my mom.

It looks like at least you mom had a better memorial than some of jws that I knew. All the memorials I attended were like Sunday public talks. They were like the deceased were forgotten already. But your mom's sounds like it was very personal. That was nice.

I hope your days get better and better.

Shedding some sunshine to you!

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Each and every one of your kind and loving replies are so very much appreciated.

This morning my two sisters and I had a special "three-way" telephone call, and we all got to talk to one another at the same time. That was so special. We want to try and do that regularly. We are separated within a triangle on the map of many hundreds of miles from one point to the other. One is in TX, the other in Key West, and me in Virginia.

Our "remembrance" packages will each arrive this Monday, so it will be an odd feeling to have a few of mama's personal things in my hands once again. I'm certain "her smell" will permeat the air and I will be flooded with thoughts and memories.

It seems so strange, that she is "free" now, and so are we. The closest person to us in our heart will no longer be judging us by her shunning--, for that was a difficult burden for everyone in our family to bare over the years. The good thing is that it is true that we harbor no ill feelings and so we are at peace. Also, we are all "in tune", as we are very much on the same spiritual path. To travel in the company of my own sisters on this path is truly a blessing.

I might add that my brother is a wonderful person as well, but we sisters, have a unique bond. It wasn't always that way. We were so disconnected for a very long time. Only in the past several years have we come together in all things, each of us alone found our way separately; and when we connected once again, we were rather awestruck upon discovering that we were crossing significant places/signposts on the path of spirituallity-- so close to each other.

Again, thank you so very much!

Karen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit