my non-JW girlfriend emailed my JW mom today

by doogie 14 Replies latest jw friends

• doogie
    doogie

Last week, my girlfriend wrote an email that she intended to send to my mom. My JW parents have never spoken to Jessica in the 3 years that we?ve been together (my loooooong story was on the board last week?don?t worry, I refuse to write anymore details than I have to in this post?my fingers are still cramped up?)

Anyway, the email was to be their first (and last, probably) communication. When she told me that night that she had emailed my mom, I was a little upset. In my last contact with my mom, she had forbidden me from emailing her anymore and I intended to respect her decision (mostly because I know they don?t respect mine, and I guess someone has to be bigger, you know?). I felt like jessica?s email would just kind of give them justification for their stand.

Well, I started to think about it, and I?m not so sure I?m right. I think jessica has as much right as anyone else to express her viewpoint towards the religion and the actions/attitudes that come forth from it. turns out the email messed up and my mom never received it. but I told jessica to try to send it again this morning. I gave her the correct email address and encouraged her to send it. my folks haven?t even acknowledged that she exists at all and I know that has to be tough on her (I can?t even begin to put myself in her shoes?).

Her email is great, too. She sent me a copy yesterday. She says (among other things):

"You people are most definitely some of the meanest people I have ever known (of). I do not come to this conclusion from things that Michael has told me (he has been nothing but loving towards you). I come to this conclusion based on what I have experienced Michael go through because of you all. Casting out someone for having a differing opinion is prejudice at its strongest ("You have to think and act as I feel and then I will love you, or if you think differently don't express it."). God loves all of his children of the world unconditionally. You all are not showing God's love because you all love conditionally. That is not true love."

It?s pretty rough stuff, I know. I probably wouldn?t have used those words/phrases, but I think that?s the point. It?s not my perspective; it?s the perspective of a loving girlfriend who is experiencing JWs for the first time and has some strong opinions about it (and rightfully so, in my small opinion). Don?t get me wrong?I don?t think this will change anything, but I want my parents to realize that their actions are affecting people thousands of miles away very negatively. Not a very ?good witness?.

I don?t want to be spiteful or bitter towards my family, or hurt them maliciously?I don?t really think I am, but some things (although possibly painful to hear) do need to be said at least once. Besides, my girlfriend?s email is my girlfriend?s business. It?s between her and my family. Like it or not, they have a relationship with her (if only though association).

Well, that?s what I wanted to say. Thanks for taking the time to read this. If you have any thoughts/suggestions or anything, I?d love to hear them.

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa

Jessica sounds like she's got a good head on her shoulders. If you had written ANYTHING else about how she chose to express herself and her feelings to her family - you would HAVE definately heard from me! But, you realize that Jessica has the right to communicate to your family her feelings. Good for her! and good for you for not trying to "control" the situation. Your parents need to hear this... and its obviously, not like Jessica is risking a great relationship with your family.

Best of luck.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

I like Jessica.

• alaskagirl
    alaskagirl

Welcome to the board. I missed your story last week - I'll have to go look that up.

I agree with you that your girlfriend has every right to tell your parents how she feels. This affects her too unfortunately. My husband sent a similar e-mail to my family 2 years ago. My brother called and talked to my husband for a few minutes saying he understood and no hard feelings. Then he got on the phone with me and proceeded to ream me out for the e-mail even though I repeatedly explained that I did not send it - my husband did. It really hasn't changed anything, but maybe it has planted a seed (to borrow a JW term).

Good luck - keep us updated.

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

Sounds like you have a wonderful woman! It takes guts to stand up and say what's on your mind, and it sounds like you both have moxie!

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

It's about time someone told them the truth.

• doogie
    doogie
    Sounds like you have a wonderful woman!
    I like Jessica.

thanks. yeah, she's pretty great.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    but I want my parents to realize that their actions are affecting people thousands of miles away very negatively. Not a very ‘good witness’.

Just because it's said doesn't mean they'll realize it. Kudos to Jessica for standing up though.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

oops - double post

• doogie
    doogie
    Just because it's said doesn't mean they'll realize it.

no, you're definitely right. but still, it has to be said before it can be heard (ooo...that sounds deep!...trust me, it's really not, though).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit