disfellowshipped elders reinstated

by jnc 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OrangeBlossom
    OrangeBlossom

There was an elder in our area (moved away but still an elder) who scammed a lot of witnesses in a bad investment deal, fooled around with one of his co-workers (also a witness), they both got df'd, his wife forgave him but he chose to marry the girlfriend, and was appointed an elder after reinstated (not sure how long after).

The interesting thing about this is I remember a WT article a few years back that stated that a brother who committed adultery would still be considered an adulterer until his former wife remarried and therefore could never be recommended as an elder as long as he was an adulterer. This guy was serving as an elder at the time. His former wife was still unmarried and would have taken him back. Does anyone else remember this article?

I remember wondering at the time how he could have been appointed in the first place, but especially wondered how he could remain an elder after the article came out. This same article stated that anyone with a pedophile problem could never be appointed as well.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

TMS: This sounds familiar. You from East Timor, eh?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"Truth persuades by teaching, but does not teach by persuading."
    TERTULLIAN, Adversus Valentinianos

• jnc
    jnc

TMS, your experience doe's not suprise me, in over 30 years in the truth you see and learn a lot, the net now allows people to be heard
    and speak out, but you may realise that people will turn on you for doing the right thing ie exposing corrupt elders, the Buddy's club dont like it, I was involved in exposing a prominant elder about to go into Bethel, into a very important position, it would have been disasterous, the body put off for years dealing with him, you wouldnt believe the excuses, lost files, lost petitions, Bethalites who did not want to know, bombs etc, yes it's provable, and on public record in the courts, until finally the papers and police caught up with it, then they suddenly disfellowshiped him. I notice noone has come up with any SOLID SCRIPTURAL ARGUMENTATION about the subject yet?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

jnc: There's no "SOLID SCRIPTURAL ARGUMENTATION" because:

1. There is NO example in the New Testament of a judicial committee. The only mention of disfellowshipping a person, in 1 Corinthians, is addressed to THE CONGREGATION, not to a committee.

2. There is NO mention in the New Testament of restrictions i.e. if you're re-instated, you're re-instated. That's it. Interestingly, when the Watchtower last discussed re-instatement in a study article it stated that a re-instated person was restored as a "fully fledged member". Wonder which planet that writer was from? !!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"Truth persuades by teaching, but does not teach by persuading."
    TERTULLIAN, Adversus Valentinianos

• esther
    esther

The NWT of the bible, in 1Tim 3 gives the qualifications for overseers and ministerial servants. They should be irreprehensible etc. They should also 'have a fine testimony from people on the outside'.
    There is nothing about being reinstated to a position of oversight if one has lost it because of misconduct.
    However, this man does not seem to qualify from 1 Tim 3:1-7.
    As Ozziepost said

1. There is NO example in the New Testament of a judicial committee. The only mention of disfellowshipping a person, in 1 Corinthians, is addressed to THE CONGREGATION, not to a committee.
    2. There is NO mention in the New Testament of restrictions i.e. if you're re-instated, you're re-instated. That's it.

esther

• Alternative
    Alternative

Yes OrangeBlossom
    I remember....

a brother who committed adultery would still be considered an adulterer until his former wife remarried and therefore could never be recommended as an elder as long as he was an adulterer.
    His former wife was still unmarried and would have taken him back.

For example I was told when I remarried, that I had "legalized my adultery." My first wife would have taken me back. She says she will never remarry.

So as you, I cannot understand that it is possible for an elder to continue to be recommended -

• ros
    ros

Sue:

If it's really true it is unbelievable.

It happened a few times in my JW relatives.

Ros
    "A religion that teaches lies cannot be true"--The Watchtower, 12/1/91 pg. 7

• metatron
    metatron

Well, Sue (and all) consider the alternative.

I know from personal experience about elders lying,
    covering up child molesting, and generally getting
    away with all sorts of wrongdoing. If it's well
    covered up, the Society won't do anything about it,
    EVEN IF THEY ARE FULLY INFORMED.

I suppose being df'd for a little while is pathetically
    better.

metatron

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster
    Thanks for the replys, it's true alright, and I dont like the idea of him being an elder here, a challenge meeting to it has been set up in the very near future and I am researching the subject, but there is very little on it within the WTS's material I need solid scriptural argument, any help would be appreciated.

Like they would actually listen to a scriptual argument if they are doing that?

Like they would actually listen to a scriptual argument?

Slipnslidemaster: "While we are postponing, life speeds by."
    - Seneca

• jurs
    jurs

dear alternative,
    i also want to suggest that you grab your greatest man book and turn to chapter 86. even though you know the story i urge you to read it again !!! then ask yourself who you really want to serve, Jehovah or an organization ?? how did Jesus feel about the Pharisees ? then ask yourself how the organization treats people who repent and does it harmonize with the way Jesus was or the way the Pharisees were. i'll be looking for your response.
    jurs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit