JW article in small town paper

by moonwillow 12 Replies latest social current

• moonwillow
    moonwillow

Our small town (2,500) weekly newspaper has an small article tucked on the bottom of the back page. It shares with everyone that the JW's are presenting a series of more than 200 conventions across the US centering on the theme "Walk With God". People of all faiths are invited to 2 of the 3 day events. Then it goes on to say JW's are active in 235 countries and number more than 6'400,00 worldwide with over 100 congregations in Indiana, Kentucky and Illinois. LOL impressive isn't it! I have never seen such an article in our paper before. I think I'll make sure I'm free NOT! ! !

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Sounds like a letter to the editor is in order!

Sherry

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

** People of all faiths are invited to 2 of the 3 day events.

I wonder how these "people" will be treated if they DO attend? We hear a lot about the way they are looked at and followed, and asking questions of them. I heard that everyone (JWs) MUST wear their identification badges at all times---I wonder how they handle that for the "visitors"?

I think the article is just for PR only, and they don't really expect folks to follow up on it very much. Good grief---can you IMAGINE anyone WANTING to volunteer to spend a summer day cooped up in an auditorium, listening to boring talks and singing those goofy songs---if you WEREN'T a JW??? LOL!

hugs,

Annie

• jgnat
    jgnat

Moonwillow, can your small town paper spell F I L L E R? They would have received the standard news release from the WTBTS, and simply cut and pasted. You can counteract this trend by contributing newsworthy tidbits to the paper, such as:

"Tabby in near-miss automobile collision AGAIN"

"Trash-can lid pilferer BUSTED!"

"Aunt Agatha's secret slug-bait recipe REVEALED"

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I would believe that there are well over 100 congregations in Ohio alone, not counting Indiana and Kentucky.

Dave

• Special K
    Special K

jgnat... you are sooo funny sometimes..

fillers.. hahahaha..

Well I certainly had my fill of them that's for sure.

lol

Special K

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

I do wonder if they WT is making a bigger effort to get some good publicity. The convention is in the city where I live this weekend, and there was something similar to what was in your newspaper on the TV news.

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

JEHOVAH'S Witnesses Gather in Topeka
    Check out the cross in this PR piece. WIBW - Topeka,KS,USA
    Thousands of Jehovah's Witnesses gathered at the Expocentre's Landon
    Arena
    to take part in this year's district convention. The ...
    < Click me">http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/864922.html> Click me

Learning what it means to walk with God is the lesson at an annual convention this weekend.
    Thousands of Jehovah's Witnesses gathered at the Expocentre's Landon Arena to take part in this year's district convention.
    The three-day event focus on current world issues.
    Ministers are also vying for new members, "It is very important to help as many people as possible... to help them live a more productive life as well," said Minister Reginald Duncan.
    The public is invited to attend any of the free sessions. They run from 9:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

• glitter
    glitter

So "people of all faiths" are welcome to attend (to be jumped on to be converted/interrogated no doubt) yet JWs are *forbidden* from attending inter-faith events... hmm...

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

wow. Indiana, Kentucky, and Illinois.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit