A letter to my parents... tell me what you think.

by Elsewhere 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The other day my mom and dad called ( My mom called a few minutes ago... ) and I have been thinking about sending them a letter in responce. Please give me your feedback.....

I am writing to let you know that I find your actions to be very confusing. I have been trying to understand why you would spend years shunning me, only to call me from time to time wanting to know why I am not in your life and to tell me that you miss me.

The answer to the question of why I am not in your life is very simple: You are shunning me. You have rejected me and pushed me out of your life.

I have never shunned you. I did not leave you or reject you. I terminated my association with a publishing corporation in New York. Are you really unable to see in your mind the difference between a publishing corporation and yourself? In a response from the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society that I got regarding shunning, they stated that whether or not you shun me is your own personal decision. I sent you a copy of this letter in the past. Did you not read it?

You have always been the ones to shun me. I spent four years trying to keep a relationship with you only to be repeatedly turned away. You even ejected me from Joy?s wedding after inviting me. On top of that I was not even notified of Gene?s wedding until well after the fact. These are very hurtful things that you have done to me. Do you really believe that you will ?win me over? by treating me in such an abusive manner?

I keep trying to understand your actions and motives, but I am still at a loss. You tell me that you miss me, but then you ?slap? me. You say that you strongly support everyone?s right to freedom of religion and speech, even bragging about all of the court cases won by the organization of Jehovah?s Witnesses in support of these rights. However, when I attempt to exercise these very same rights that your organization fought for, I am instantly rejected and shunned. This is very confusing to me, not to mention hypocritical.

I would love to be a part of your life and see everyone I grew up with and be a part of family gatherings. All you have to do is stop shunning and pushing me away. All you have to do is respect my right to freedom of religion and speech, the very same rights you fight for and enjoy. Do you seriously think these rights belong only to you? I respect everyone?s right to enjoy these freedoms and have relationships with many people of all sorts of faith and those of no faith. We all may have different views and beliefs, but we all still enjoyed each other?s company and friendship. I now see many of them as my new family since being rejected by you.

Basically it all comes down to this: Stop shunning me, or stop asking me why I am not in your life. Doing both at the same time really is quite absurd. It is all up to you. Will you stop discriminating against me because my beliefs regarding religion are different from yours, while at the same time crying foul about discrimination against Jehovah?s Witnesses? Do you see my point? You cannot cry foul when you see discrimination against you while at the same time discriminating against your own son. I am amazed you did not know this.

The next time the Watchtower Society tells you about discrimination that Jehovah?s Witnesses are experiencing around the world, I want you to think about how you are discriminating against me and spiritually abusing me because I am not a member of your religion.

I remember when I was growing up I was always being told stories about how Jehovah?s Witnesses have been threatened, even with their lives, if they did not renounce their faith as Jehovah?s Witnesses. The stories would speak of how wrong it was for people to harass and threaten Jehovah?s Witnesses simply because their beliefs were different from other peoples. What you have done to me is no different. You have informed me that unless I renounce everything I believe in you will shun and reject me. This makes you hypocrites.

As I said before, I would love to be a part of your lives, but it is you who are pushing me away and punishing me because I am different from you. I did not leave you? you shunned me.

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

Great, very truthfull, direct and to the point without being nasty.

Let us konw what happens when they get it.

Good Luck.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

Else,

You did a good job with the letter. To the piont and very reasonable.

I wish i could do something to comfort you.

• astro_girl
    astro_girl

It is an extremely well-written and eloquent letter. You wrote the perfect message! I hope they will respond in a positive way. Best of luck!

astro_girl

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I wish i could do something to comfort you.

Thanks.

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

That was an Awsome Letter!

• Puternut
    Puternut

Well put Elsewhere,

I couldn't have said it better myself. We think alike.

Puternut

• Scully
    Scully

Wow... what a great letter, Elsewhere!!

Isn't it amazing how when JWs are discriminated against, it's called "persecution"? Yet when JWs do it to you (or me, or any other DFd or DAd or Inactive Person?) it's somehow OK??

I'm going to bookmark this, in case I ever decide to write my own letter some day. Thanks for sharing!

Love, Scully

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Well written and to the point. I think the following statement is very powerful:

In a response from the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society that I got regarding shunning, they stated that whether or not you shun me is your own personal decision.

my two cents... I would also work that in to the ending somewhere. Correct me if I'm wrong, but do some families choose not to shun and they're left alone by the elders?

Again... great letter.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Thanks everyone!

I have updated the letter a bit... moved a few things around, added a few thing, changed a few things and corrected some grammer errors. I tend to obsess over letters.

I am also planning on dating it July 4th, Indipendence Day... seems a bit poetic to me.

I am writing to let you know that I find your actions to be very confusing. I have been trying to understand why you would spend years shunning me, only to call me from time to time wanting to know why I am not in your life and to tell me that you miss me.

The answer to the question of why I am not in your life is very simple: You are shunning me. You have rejected me and pushed me out of your life. If you miss me, it is a result of your own actions, not mine.

I have never shunned you. I did not leave you or reject you. I terminated my association with a publishing corporation in New York. Are you really unable to see in your mind the difference between a publishing corporation and yourself? In a response from the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society that I got regarding shunning, they stated that whether or not you shun me is your own personal decision. They said that they did not force or instruct you to do this. I sent you a copy of this letter in the past. Did you not read it?

You have always been the ones to shun me. I spent four years trying to keep a relationship with you only to be repeatedly turned away. You even ejected me from Joy?s wedding after inviting me. On top of that I was not even notified of Gene?s wedding until well after the fact. These are very hurtful things that you have done to me. Do you really believe that you will ?win me over? by treating me in such an abusive manner?

I keep trying to understand your actions and motives, but I am still at a loss. You tell me that you miss me, but then you ?slap? me. You say that you strongly support everyone?s right to freedom of religion and speech, even bragging about all of the court cases won by the organization of Jehovah?s Witnesses in support of these rights. However, when I attempt to exercise these very same rights that your organization fought for, I am instantly rejected and shunned. This is very confusing to me, not to mention hypocritical.

I would love to be a part of your life and see everyone I grew up with and be a part of family gatherings. All you have to do is stop shunning and pushing me away. All you have to do is respect my right to freedom of religion and speech, the very same rights you fight for and enjoy. Do you seriously believe these rights belong only to you? I respect everyone?s right to enjoy these freedoms and have relationships with many people of all sorts of faith and those of no faith. We all may have different views and beliefs, but we all still enjoy each other?s company and friendship and respect each other?s unique beliefs. Over time I have come see many of them as my new family since being rejected by you.

Basically it all comes down to this: Stop shunning me, or stop asking me why I am not in your life and telling me that you miss me. Doing both at the same time really is quite absurd. It is all up to you. Will you continue discriminating against me because my beliefs regarding religion are different from yours, while at the same time crying foul about discrimination against Jehovah?s Witnesses? Do you see my point? You cannot cry foul when you see discrimination against you while at the same time discriminating against your very own son. I am amazed you did not know this.

I remember when I was growing up I was always being told stories about how Jehovah?s Witnesses have been threatened, even with their lives, if they did not renounce their faith as Jehovah?s Witnesses. The stories would speak of how wrong it is for people to discriminate, harass and threaten Jehovah?s Witnesses simply because their beliefs are different from the beliefs of other people. What you have done to me is no different. You have informed me that unless I renounce everything I believe in, you will shun and reject me. Granted, the freedoms of religion and association grant you this right. One cannot be forced to associate with another person; however this also makes you hypocrites.

As I said before, I would love to be a part of your lives, but it is you who are pushing me away and punishing me because I am different from you. I did not leave you? you shunned me. All I did was share with you my beliefs, the very same thing Jehovah?s Witnesses pride themselves in doing and even consider to be their responsibility before their god. How can you condemn me for doing the very same thing you are doing?

The next time the Watchtower Society tells you about any discrimination that Jehovah?s Witnesses are experiencing around the world, I want you to stop and think about how you are discriminating against me and spiritually abusing me because I am not a member of your religion. Before you cry foul, I want you to look at your own actions.

Sincerely,
    [Elsewhere]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit