A letter to my parents... tell me what you think.

by Elsewhere 33 Replies latest jw friends

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

((Elsewhere))

This is a great letter. I'm anxious to hear a response (if you get one at all). Your situation mirrors mine and it's very confusing. I finally figured out why I would get the occasional phone call or letter - my parents love me. And I'm sure that goes for you, too - (your parents loving you, not my parents loving you).

You made a lot of good points that I'm going to remember, should the occasion ever arise.

-L

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Well done on your letter, elsewhere! I hope it gets your parents thinking.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Bravo!!! I'll be really interested to hear their answer (if any).

Nina

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Wow, Elsewhere. A very thougtful and powerful letter.

The next time the Watchtower Society tells you about discrimination that Jehovah?s Witnesses are experiencing around the world, I want you to think about how you are discriminating against me and spiritually abusing me because I am not a member of your religion.

I remember when I was growing up I was always being told stories about how Jehovah?s Witnesses have been threatened, even with their lives, if they did not renounce their faith as Jehovah?s Witnesses. The stories would speak of how wrong it was for people to harass and threaten Jehovah?s Witnesses simply because their beliefs were different from other peoples. What you have done to me is no different. You have informed me that unless I renounce everything I believe in you will shun and reject me. This makes you hypocrites.

This sums it all up. Hopefully they will see themselves in these two paragraphs, because every word you said in here speaks volumes of truth.

Good luck. Please let us know if they finally wake up and realize the turmoil they are putting you through.

(((((Elsewhere)))))

growedup

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

It really is a great letter but I have one question. Not that you need to answer it to me or here but for yourself

What do you hope to gain?

If you want things to stay as they are and the shunning to continue without the calls then I think send it as is.

But if you want the shunning to stop and to have a different relationship then I think a few things might need to be reworded. Not what you say but how. Women are different in their thinking than men .Mothers are even more different.

If you want more info feel free to PM me

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

I think it is a great letter Elsewhere, Even though I doubt they will listen or take it to heart at least they will know where you stand. It is impossible to show them that they do the same things they preach against they always seem to have some excuse.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    What do you hope to gain?

If you want things to stay as they are and the shunning to continue without the calls then I think send it as is.

I hope that maybe, maybe I might cause a few gears to start turning in their head. The last time they called they sounded very distressed.

Yes, I would prefer them to not call me anymore if they are going to shun me. I hate being in a "limbo" of shunning. Either they hate me or they don't... they can't have it both ways.

About the mother's emotions thing. My mother knows me. She knows its my nature to be logical... for me to communicate with her any other way would be very confusing to her.

• blondie
    blondie

Good letter, Elsewhere. My heart is moved reading it; it pricks my conscience. It also puts the ball back into their court, that they are the ones avoiding you, not you avoiding them. I hope their hearts are moved.

Blondie

• new light
    new light

Send the letter, Elsewhere. It is well-written and right on target. In fact, I might save it as a reference in case I should have to mail a similar letter (my folks act the same way). Assuming you do send it, please post your parents' reaction. This should be good.

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

It doesn't matter what there is to gain....it really doesn't, the chances are they probably will not get it, sadly because they are so convinced that "Satan" has a strong hold on you. However, you have nothing to lose, and you need to make your point clear and where you stand....though they may not get it now, your message will linger in their heads for a long time...so you never know. Good luck! I'm anxious to hear the response as well.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit