What First Stumbled You?

by glitter 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

I used to notice quite a lot of things as a kid. One of the first things that stuck in my mind relates to the Tuesday night book study which was held in Brother X's home. A couple who attended had a son who was only a year younger than me, so we are talking about 6 years old at the time. If that poor kid even moved his mum would take him out of the room for the inevitable 'chastisement'.

Everyone could hear him being slapped and his crying and pleading. I never forgot the look of horror on that kid's face when he knew it was time for the trip 'out of the room' and most of the time he was in tears before the inevitable discipline. I found that very upsetting.

It was something that people at the KH talked about but nobody did anything about it - everyone was too 'nice' and didn't want to be seen to be criticising their fellow brothers and sisters - especially as this was an upstanding JW family.

What really killed it for me in the end was the complete bare faced hypocrisy. If a new brother appeared who had a good job, and was fairly well off materially, then they would be magically catapulted up the ranks. They were allowed to acquire all these material things but I was not supposed to want to go to university, but it was ok for Brother Newbie to show off his new Beamer.

I also knew that most of the teens at the hall were living double lives just like me. There was no incentive to remain faithful - in fact some of these teenage JWs were a far worse influence than anything I had met in the ' world '.

At the end of the day I had too many questions and not enough answers.

FF

• roybatty
    roybatty

Jehovah

• Brownboy
    Brownboy

I was never stumbled, I just had to re-adjust my thinking. I still believe in Jehovah (YHWH).

BB

• Fleur
    Fleur
    I refered to my late wife as "my wife".........he immediately.........in a raised voice told me........"Bill ...you have to stop refering to her as your wife. She isn't your wife anymore. She is dead and that ended any claim of marriage." How insensitive!

OMG!!!!!! that is HORRIBLE! do you think they give elders "insensitivity" training to make them especially hurtful at times like that or do you think it comes part and parcel of the stupid twisted scriptural interpretations that they spew?

ugh, i don't know how many more stories i can take! :(

(((((((happydad))))))))

• Flash
    Flash

The attitude that the GB and their views and policies were above scrutiny or questioning.

I went through that nonsense as a Catholic with the Pope!

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

Oh my god reading some of your stories just breaks my heart! I started having serious doubts when I started doing some research for a talk on 1914 and I did some research on the 607 BCE and I thought I'd be studious and look up some information on the internet, I came across the 587vs607BCE web site and when I realized that was wrong then it gave me the courage to start questioning other things I had doubts about.

• bem
    bem

Awww ((((Fleur)))), thanks your kind words,They are so well recieved yes I agree with the rest here,the stories sound so familiar,with things expierienced at original kh then the move to the one here where I now live.

((((happyDad))) sorry for what you expierienced!

I remember an elderly sis. in original cong. saying that more flew out the back door at a run! than they could convert through the front door! Understand that phrase so much better now.

I wonder now to the truth of the comment if Eldies were taught "incensitivitie" I'd imagine it's not hard to aquire that, With training. some of the men were kind.And I know there are sincere ones here on the board that took the work seriously.I mean no offense to any of you. But actions of jws at times made me think they we're getting way too much out of the authority! not acting like a service to the cong. But more like the long arm of the law.Gone wrong,and to there heads not there hearts.

sorry I'm being wordy.Hug's to all of you. ((((glitter)))) thanks for the post.

• Mac
    Mac

What First Stumbled You?

I'm pretty sure it was Jimmy Glotzback....I was heading for the chalkboard and Blammmm!!!!...flat on my face....the whole class was laughing!

I've stumbled many times since then...damn you Sir Guinness!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

mac

• bem
    bem

bttt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit