1995 no big deal??

by Bubbamar 21 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

When I discovered - only recently - the the masthead of the Awake was changed in 1995 to eliminate "our Creators Promise" I found it apalling. It was a PROMISE people!! I am curious, did the WTBTS write articles or discuss this radical change or did they just slip it in? Why doesn't it seem to be that big of a deal. In retrospect, I can't believe my mom sold her house and used the money to be a missionary in Equador in 1996. So it didn't even phase her. That just infuriates me. How does this compare to the 1975 scandal. Surely, they don't have the nerve to say that individual members were wrong in their expectations??

If anyone was in when that change happened, what was the general consensus at the time?

Also, do they have a new deadline? How long does the new "generation" understanding extend things?? Indefinitely?

• joenobody
    joenobody

I remember being dumbfounded by it. I was even more appalled when nobody else seemed to care. Sheep indeed.

• Puternut
    Puternut

The Bible is a big book. People have had their noses in it for a long time, and came up with all kinds of stuff. Mr. WT will do the same thing, for as long as they can ride it.

Puternut

• mineralogist
    mineralogist

In fact ... i didn't even noticed it those days

• Gopher
    Gopher

I was still a JW in 1995. I noticed the change in the wording.

My take on it (or my excuse for it, as a loyal JW) was that the "Creator's Promise" had to do with the actual destruction of bad people and the paradise to follow, and not the timing.

I knew that the Society had to back away from the "generation that saw the events of 1914" deal. I never took that as the Creator's promise. Armageddon was going to come on Jehovah's schedule.

That "generation of 1914" thing was always a lingering doubt in the back of my mind, but I excused it thinking that the good in the Watchtower teachings outweighed the bad. (D'oh!)

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

A couple of years ago or so, in the Spanish yearly calendar they took their trademark phrase "Millions now living will never die!" and substituted it with "Millions now living might never die!".

When I pointed this out to one of the most prominent elders in our Cong, he said maybe there was an error while printing. I found this answer stupid.

I took it further and wrote to the WTBTS about it and they sent me, like 5 months later, a cheap excuse letter saying that the original outline read 'might never', not 'will never'. Yeah, right!

DY

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

I was 'born into troof' 1957.The central CORE doctrine of the WT$ IS that masthead.

I have used the 'masthead' ala carte as a door to door pitch thousands of times.

"Watchtower Liar this man on fire" undaunted Danny,the apostate with an attitude (wonder why?)

• glitter
    glitter
    I took it further and wrote to the WTBTS about it and they sent me, like 5 months later, a cheap excuse letter saying that the original outline read 'might never', not 'will never'. Yeah, right!

I read on here yesterday or the day before the *first* title *was* "Millions Now Living May Never Die" but almost immediately after they must've been feeling more confident as it was *changed* to "Millions Now Living *Will* Never Die". Can't think of the thread though.

• zugzwang
    zugzwang

This is their biggest prophecy failure of them all. The "generation" prophecy had been a part of WTS teaching for more than 50 years. So it was no small thing when it was changed. But I, and all of the other loyal witnesses, didn't even bat an eye at it. We just kept on going. It took me about 6 years to realize the full impact of the change.

zugz

• betty boop
    betty boop

there was a change?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit